Su-27 "Arctic Flanker" Camo & Weathering

Memir

Couple of you guys asked me about the process and techniques I used to paint and weather my Arctic Flanker. So I decided to create this topic to describe how I made it...

I always try to recreate real aircraft painting and weathering processes if possible.

Flankers were made of aluminium plates which were treated for corrosion at factory, then the airplane was treated with yellow primer and whole Flanker was overpainted with lightest shade of blue camo color (it had some kind weather resistant additive in it). Finally other shades of camouflage were painted on top of the lightest blue color.

So I started my Flanker to give it NMF at first.

Surface was treated with MRP Silver Primer first. It is my favourite base for metallics, as I only need fraction of metallic paint compared to let say black base and it is very easy to get surface variations with just light and subtle layers of metallics.

EfUm8n5BhTA-1beZtKFH-RKZGRu5x9BK_iDpHndt

IMG_1292%20copy-1600x1600.jpg

I used MRP metallic paints by MR Paint as they are extremely durable and do not need any layer of protective clear for subsequent paint and weathering jobs planned.

Pics of Flankers in factory were used to simulate various shades of panels.

ACtC-3dXVU72q0RewAuj_mn7NlUNZPwj0HMN-GIi

ACtC-3fW7fVY4D66bMM_sAArWrH32By0NDH3PeX3

ACtC-3fYOGzC-ZY03T6rhjF-WJFw6Hh3XX5QY10a

After I was happy with NMF I sprayed hair spray all over the plane followed by light layers of Russian yellow primer MRP-090

IMG_0991-1600x1600.jpg

ACtC-3cWsu5-QV-2o8UMEvfsgmH833Ahtcr1g6ep

ACtC-3fxMtxX_LpEPjgr_uLWsRdLTyEpCo9KynXa

I did some chipping and light sanding to afterwards to simulate weathered primer over bare metal surface

ACtC-3ffp6kru3V55w_hLYEIMPthNzgZ3JOnAvDo

ACtC-3cE3Rgaj_cRhXnZ8FuxaR2hKwrHyKbhiEDX

ACtC-3c3CyRKaKRXGkLKJP9EK7ip4JvGgrIWM33g

ACtC-3fvPvbF9lARTqiDyDgyPmn_bVbtKPba2v2p

When happy with yellow primer stage I started with lightest blue shade of camouflage color. Exactly like the real stuff is made...

I used lot of hair spray chipping technique and wet sanding to achieve the result I want and to as close as I can to reference pictures.

ACtC-3eU5nIYlQyN8U6N6ye1MmcF35pq8Z2dqdOV

ACtC-3ddbih4CbfRrEgMb37MmT_QrnO3CRG1Qsfg

ACtC-3dTUFr2CUYAvbToCb-2Mb5deshGTs8gsORW

ACtC-3fVco7GMSQZntJQfoDfqz41Xh0Ez1yd44yQ

ACtC-3cwQCONUFLZ2LlBn6c-RwIvii-2dtEV3dxC

ACtC-3f2xwyIUNl3rx9f3yY79o6F7JEdCkSE29QD

ACtC-3dfhyMw-Sw7OlB6xR0TR54X7nz0W_UDpvz5

ACtC-3djAZrXM1rddk6-HLobEbkMYvd3NjTR_ApJ

ACtC-3cemjXzvNG6Gy4WxAn1ZtS7tNYMBSRo6uvn

ACtC-3cj2k0eWotLg2nFRxcFUlClUeXzvgWUo1jF

I wasn't happy with color of the panels behind canopy, which were kind of yellow-green hue on my reference pics. I sprayed a light coat of transparent MRP mix of yellow and green over it and that was exactly what I wanted that part of the plane to look like. Happy with result...

ACtC-3eiovcFdrkm1FQyMclM0jCjxJcatx3x06lP

ACtC-3cgiev_jEiI0rc-sybPn9rlKvjQadKAxotF

NMF gun muzzle protective plates were painted with MRP Steel color and weathered with Tamiya Weathering Master powders.

ACtC-3cLwxUg3sH8CE3X6SG2CRXydZS55e5erGN5

Wheels... To me the best color for tires is MRP black Primer. Check this picture. only sides of the wheel are treated with Tamiya powders.

Wheel hub was painted silver primer, hair spray and then MRP-32 Russian Green for wheels. Made surface wet and then chipped with old stiff brush.

ACtC-3e2thkxyX_KweGolMIcgg-wJSu2d08xsC0o

Nose cone - first red-pink primer, hair spray and then Off-White color chipped..

ACtC-3fJcOBNcl84QDks0wJpBxKPiwlgso6sRE32

ACtC-3d1-2JG1RPwnl04Fd_Vt11dCrr2Fce0rSjd

Exhaust was again, made with MRP metallic paints as you can do anything with them just after couple of minutes drying time. I masked them with masking liquids, used Tamiya Weathering sets and acrylic markers.

ACtC-3cGzgcCbsydi9lXAJkoSu8cYqCbA_-H6feT

ACtC-3eJ_84N3SRm5lFo4zbk_WfUisve8sKPL4Q6

ACtC-3fULv55T7zvEcVr4klRUshev2ye9DtKfGdD

ACtC-3eaEopXnX8rg9zZQb7LBIAgtGL0KrBCKFMm

ACtC-3dVkSajTp72JGWhMKZxXKxm2EWdL68965ss

ACtC-3foscPnO7i65DMn88Dld6o1Zk9bV11NQvNW

ACtC-3fgl14NoXnFcMazRDEZWBNE7UA0ddasEzxu

ACtC-3d2FfwaUGILJRmWw4EJHg3_hvGlR15HR5kb

ACtC-3ePcjSqJlFRkol8W8qPXzZiLiD3Tdwl6iFb

ACtC-3fpwSfkaJVNHgd7D5ROglhIm9knbNA637zP

ACtC-3cwci_8nc-t3jSCqjlWa933XT8Mnad2g2uf

ACtC-3cppsgIdMDJ-l_FjtY-8xD1ia2gWuzLiZgy

Thanks for watching and happy to discuss... ;)

Edited by Memir

It is great to see the many stages you went through in building your Flanker, Miro. You have obviously put a huge amount of research into this aircraft. 

Thanks for sharing with us.  

Chris. 

PS: I might have buy some Mr. Paint products. Any paint that is fully dry ten minutes after being applied has to be a very good thing. 

Edited by Confusionreigns178
Amending some information.