Another Trumpeter 1/16 Panther G Build - Steel Wheel - ONE MORE CORRECTION...DAMN TRACKS.

Juggernut

Just now, LSP_K2 said:

I too have volume 1, as well as the volume on the Tiger, which is equally cool. I'll grab the second Panther volume,... one of these days.

Me too, when I get near that stage of the build... I think the second volume deals with the turret and the engine if I'm not mistaken.

5 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

I had a feeling that might be the case. Good luck with your build. I'm sure you will "knock it out of the park". 

Chris. 

Thanks, it's going to be an experience.... and just think I have another one too...  I think I'll build the next on out of the box...that way I don't have to fuss with all the scratchbuilding.

Please crack on as you see fit , having had the opportunity to literally run my hands over the surfaces of numerous Panthers across Europe , Bovvy , Samur , Munster , and the Weald / Wheatcroft ones that show up at Tankfest , only trying to help you out . :thumbsup:

If you ever build a Stug , let me know , as my mate restored an Ausf D so I might have some pictures of that as well . 

Edited by Panzerwomble

2 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Thanks, it's going to be an experience.... and just think I have another one too...  I think I'll build the next on out of the box...that way I don't have to fuss with all the scratchbuilding.

OOB is cool, but my personal belief is that the size, not to mention the cost, warrants extra detail, specifically on the exterior. Once I begin my 1:16 Panzer IV, I intend to really go nuts on the exterior, but will spend a negligible amount of time on the interior, as no one, including myself, will ever see it. There are some crazy boys on a Facelook group or two that I belong to, that are going hog wild insane with big interiors, and I have to say that it does absolutely nothing for me. I really don't have that kind of time to waste.

24 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

OOB is cool, but my personal belief is that the size, not to mention the cost, warrants extra detail, specifically on the exterior. Once I begin my 1:16 Panzer IV, I intend to really go nuts on the exterior, but will spend a negligible amount of time on the interior, as no one, including myself, will ever see it. There are some crazy boys on a Facelook group or two that I belong to, that are going hog wild insane with big interiors, and I have to say that it does absolutely nothing for me. I really don't have that kind of time to waste.

This one will be in the upcoming IPMS Nationals in Las Vegas (if I finish it in time).  I plan to be able to peel it apart showing all the interior parts (engine deck, fans, turret, upper hull  transmission access, etc.  While I'm going relatively "hog wild", I'm not completely insane and anything I cannot positively identify as being needed/shown, won't be in there because unless the judge is one of those "loons" that knows a Panther G interior backwards and forwards, they'll not even know it's missing.  The second will be a little bit down the road as I think doing this one will absolutely burn me out on armor for awhile.  Knowing that's what will happen, the OOB will be a relaxing build and will only be entered into any contest if the paint job I'm envisioning comes out spectacular.  That one I don't envision being able to  be peeled apart in any other way than an open engine hatch, open crew hatches and possibly a removable turret.

It would be great if Trumpeter offered exterior only kits for the King Tiger, Jagdtiger, Panther, Panzer IV, etc.  That way you wouldn't be wasting all those interior parts and the cost of the kit would most likely be a lot less.  They do offer exterior only kits but as far as I'm aware, only the Abrams and the T-72  they did are that way.  Pretty sure the SU-100 and T-34's have interiors in them.

Edited by Juggernut

2 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

Just catching up here Tim, and I have missed out! The lower hull piping that you’ve added must have been a huge challenge to align, but the result looks great.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom, I appreciate the  comment.  I did it all by hand as when I tried to do it mathematically and with tubing benders, compass, radius gauges, etc..it just came out bad.  The old eye-ball isn't as bad as I thought and while the results aren't perfect, most of the offending areas are under the transmission or will be hidden by other equipment above the piping.  All-in-all though, I'm pleased with the results.

20 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

Please crack on as you see fit , having had the opportunity to literally run my hands over the surfaces of numerous Panthers across Europe , Bovvy , Samur , Munster , and the Weald / Wheatcroft ones that show up at Tankfest , only trying to help you out . :thumbsup:

If you ever build a Stug , let me know , as my mate restored an Ausf D so I might have some pictures of that as well . 

Thanks, I do appreciate your offer and the intent.

I don't think I'd build a Stug... K2 absolutely loves em but me, meh...they are nice vehicles and there's a lot of options to choose from but I'm more of a Jagdpanther guy.  If Trumpeter ever does one of those in 1/16, I'm all in again.  I just hope it's not any time in the near future.

Edited by Juggernut

Some more progress...this time with a little paint on the parts.  I've got some touch-up and detail painting to do with the torsion bars.  Then comes the washes and drybrushing.  The primer red-brown is by AMMO and the torsion bars themselves are painted Tamiya XF-18 semi-gloss black.  The pipe joints are 3M electrical tape, with aluminum duct tape (the actual metal duct tape, not the fabric stuff) with 0.020-inch adjustment screws.  These last little parts were a huge PITA as I used tacky glue and too often they stuck to the damn tweezers and would NOT stay on the band... eventually, I got them all on.  I think I may add a little superglue over them just to make sure they stay in place. Lastly I'll add the weld beads to the cross-beams where they attach to the hull sides...that's for another time though.

woCBnKB.jpg

8QRF5tg.jpg

YhHPyLl.jpg

OiQP2fc.jpg

Edited by Juggernut

7 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

The hose clamps are very effective. 

Thanks, I still need to paint the adjustment parts to match the bands.  I'm too scared to do it before I apply a dab of superglue to each one though.

7 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Those hose clamps are da bomb!

Thanks.  I need to give credit where credit is due for the idea...  The idea came from David Parker's book on the King Tiger and is what he used for doing the hose clamps on his Tiger II engine.