Another Trumpeter 1/16 Panther G Build - Steel Wheel - ONE MORE CORRECTION...DAMN TRACKS.

Juggernut

13 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Really nice Tim! I followed a similar approach, but brush painted mine. I think yours turned out better!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom.  Masking was a nightmare but I got the majority of it.  I trimmed the overspray and missed areas with a brush. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress today...but only on an accessory that I need some advice in replicating.  Below is a master I made of one of the 32 MG34/42 gursaks carried by the Panther.  I need help in determining how to best replicate these.  The ones in the kit are absolutely horribly oversized and without any details.  I tried a free 3D scanner for my iphone but that turned out to be really crappy.  So, it's either send the master some place to be scanned or send it out someplace to be cast in resin.  I'm at a loss here because I just am not sure which way to go.  I'm leaning toward a scanning service because I have a 3D resin printer and if I have a good stl file of this, I can print out as many as i need.  Anyone have any advice?

dsHTmDm.jpg

This is what the original looks like (empty of course) from an image I borrowed from the internet:

wWaMBaf.png

Edited by Juggernut

If you want to cast your own, and if it is ok to have the back flat because it cant be seen, you can make a down and dirty copy by using sculpting clay placed over the front and then fill with resin or maybe even fine plaster?

Hi, thanks for the replies.  I know AFV Modeler makes them but they're not cheap and shipping from the UK to the USA makes the entire thing very uneconomical, hence why I decided to make my own.  I need the entire thing cast as they will be put in places on the vehicle where the backs can be seen.  If I can get the master scanned and the stl file provided to me (or something that I can convert to a stl file), I can make as many as I want, very cheaply as I have a resin 3D printer.

Edited by Juggernut

13 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Hi, thanks for the replies.  I know AFV Modeler makes them but they're not cheap and shipping from the UK to the USA makes the entire thing very uneconomical, hence why I decided to make my own.  I need the entire thing cast as they will be put in places on the vehicle where the backs can be seen.  If I can get the master scanned and the stl file provided to me (or something that I can convert to a stl file), I can make as many as I want, very cheaply as I have a resin 3D printer.

If you want to go that way I suggest to scan the original Gurtsack and than re-size it down to the required scale. 
makes a much better result than scanning small subjects.

Other possibility is to look on 3d-websites if somebody already provides a 3d-file (thingverse, shapeways, etc.) for the Gurtsacks.

Best regards 

Nils

14 hours ago, josebagasteiz said:

I am going to try to sculpt the ones provided by the model. 

I’d be interested to see what you’re able to do with the kit gurtsaks.  I looked at them again and the one I created will almost fit inside the kit one.

Edited by Juggernut

On 11/27/2021 at 12:15 AM, Juggernut said:

Thanks for that.  Unfortunately I don’t have a 1:1 gurtsak, I only have the model I made.

I did check shapeways and did not find any gurtsaks listed.  Thingiverse didn’t produce any results either.

Found this on shapeways:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/E4C3SKTJT/1-16th-detailed-mg34-ammo-belt-bag-and-drum?optionId=174386646&li=marketplace

However for some bugs more you‘d get 32 sacks from AFV-Modeller:

https://www.afvmodeller.com/product/116th-scale-german-ammunition-pouches/

What about some manual small batch production - ever thought about? 

Last but not least if you maybe have some good, CAD-experienced friend who could support in this matter…

Regards, Nils

1 hour ago, N.H.71 said:

Found this on shapeways:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/E4C3SKTJT/1-16th-detailed-mg34-ammo-belt-bag-and-drum?optionId=174386646&li=marketplace

However for some bugs more you‘d get 32 sacks from AFV-Modeller:

https://www.afvmodeller.com/product/116th-scale-german-ammunition-pouches/

What about some manual small batch production - ever thought about? 

Last but not least if you maybe have some good, CAD-experienced friend who could support in this matter…

Regards, Nils

Hi,

Thanks for that.  I discovered I was misspelling the word gurtsack and when I did the search on Shapeways, I didn't get any results because of it.  Someone kindly pointed out the same link as you provided above and I finally found out why I didn't get any hits.  I had misspelled the term both here and on Missing-Lynx throughout both threads.

I'm considering resin casting them myself but am torn about a one-piece or two-piece mold.  I don't know anyone who's really good at CAD who could design one.  I have very limited experience with Fusion 360 and doing something along those lines is way beyond my  skill level. 

After your suggestion, I think I’ll start a post in the General Discussion section asking if anyone can cast or 3D render the gurtsack.

Edited by Juggernut

• 4 weeks later...

Some more progress this evening...  It's starting to look like a Panther inside.  I've managed to install some of the supports within the hull and some of the equipment.  The first shot below is  what I think are radio power supplies but I'm not entirely sure.  The kit parts only come with a pigtail of the power cables so those were cut off, holes drilled and 0.25-inch lead fishing wire glued into them.  These lines run to the radio rack over the transmission but exactly where they connect is still a mystery.  The primer red-brown semi circle in the photo to the left of the box is to locate the coolant torch for starting in cold weather.  The torch itself is contained in the kit but needs some details added. See the next photo for what I did to the torch.

LcHsZch.jpg

The torch is secured to the pannier with clamps and in a holder of sorts.  I replicated these with some strip styrene glued to the circumference around the bottom and top of the cylinder of the torch.  I also needed to add the handle for it.  I bent some PE brass I had laying around and added a styrene rod handle.  I've ordered some Aber PE buckles and clasps so when they get here, I'll add one to the top styrene holder (unless I get impatient [these sets are coming from Poland] in which case I'll scratch build a faux clamp).  As you may be aware, the squares of the cutting mat are 1" square so this thing, is pretty decent size.  Otherwise, it looks pretty nice.

c2Xrs5p.jpg

These next shots are of the fighting compartment and the ammunition storage.  I still need to create the securing clamps used between the racks in the panniers but that's not a real problem.  The panzer yellow fire extinguisher, while a little on the large size, is usable so I painted it the appropriate panzer yellow and dressed it with an Archer's Fine Transfer Placard.  The decals on the  red fire extinguisher I created from my Alps printer and while they're not perfect, I think they look acceptable.   After prepping, painting, decaling and finishing 82 rounds of ammunition, I can emphatically state that I hope I never have to do this again, in ANY scale.  The only similar challenge is prepping, assembling, and painting the tracks.  That tedious task is just around the corner after I install the brake linkages above the transmission.  Oh, I did a pastel dirt sludge test on the fighting compartment floor... It doesn't look bad but may need some further work.

f8V6O4g.jpg

Below is the ammunition storage next to the driver.  I have not yet cemented the cover in place as there are securing bands that need to be added to the rounds as well as the fabric cover.  I notice I still nee to add the fahrgestell (hull) number behind the parking brake ratchet.  The lead wire just laying over the pannier will connect to the hydraulic points on the power steering cylinders that have yet to be built and installed.

E5HlsXS.jpg

The box between the supports on the pannier is for the MG34.  Trumpeter provides these as photoetch boxes but I wasn't happy with them after looking at photos of the real item so I decided to scratchbuild these.  I'm getting awfully tired of being so pedantic that I need to scratch build stuff when it's not correct....  Some day, I'll just use what comes in the box and be done with it...  Yeah, right.  Anyway, there is one box on either side of the hull (in the same location), one being for the coaxial MG34 and the other for the hull mounted MG34.  I've read these boxes contain tools and such for the MG34 as well as the butt stocks for the weapons.

tl6w7lG.jpg

One question before I leave you all....  Does anyone know where the AA MG34 was stowed when it was not mounted on its pintle on the cupola?

Anyway, that's all I've got for this installment.  Thanks for looking in :)

Edited by Juggernut