1/32 P-51B conversion from Revell 1/32 P-51D early

ironman1945

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

8 hours ago, tomg said:

Great work coach, and, THAT IS A BIG DUDE!!

tomg, yes indeed, he is very big. Approx 6'5", 270. And for his size, very fast and agile.  A lot of US DIV I and II schools are interested in him.

Cheers!

Dave/Ironman1945

On 4/11/2021 at 7:41 PM, ironman1945 said:

But whenever I do something like this.... conversion, scratch-build....they're always seems to be something that, initially I am okay with. Then, after a while, it bothers me to the point where I reach a stalemate .... " Do I rip it apart and rework it, or can I live with it?" 

Of course the very fact that I'm even asking the question means I already know the answer.  But its always a long process.

My Dad was an incredible modeler. Most of what I learned from him was by simply watching- but the one thing I specifically remember him saying was “If it’s not right, tear it down and do it over until it’s right- otherwise you’ll never be happy with it”

totally get it.

looking awesome!

cheers

Pete

Fantastic job, my friend! Isn’t it nice when you have an idea and after carefully working the problems you get the results you were looking for. Wouldn’t it be nice if by some miracle we actually get a correct 1/32 “B” Mustang so all of this extra work isn’t required. Then I guess all of us plastic nuts would have nothing to do.:P:clap2:

Jim

• 1 month later...

Quick update. Middle of coaching high school football playoffs (GO MT DOUG RAMS!), so have not had much time to spend on the bench. But I have progressed a bit.

Weathering. Flat coat. Taking the masks off the clear parts always make it look better. 

Just need to finish/frame the canopy area, attach the antenna, landing gear, and flaps. Add the .50 muzzles. Weather the exhaust stacks.

Pretty happy with how its looking so far. Not perfect, but not bad.

Sorry about the bad lighting for the photos. 

I'll try and finish this ASAP, because you know once I do, one of the model companies will quickly announce a new 1/32 P-51B Mustang. Your welcome guys!

20211121_202005 20211121_201955

20211121_201949

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Lookin' good Dave  :thumbsup:    Go Team !!:yahoo:

Thanks Mike!

Sadly we lost our 1/4 final game yesterday. 27-20. It was a close one, tied till 6 minutes left in the 4th.

On the bright side.... more time at the model bench now!

Cheers

Dave

On 7/31/2021 at 1:08 PM, cmayer said:

Dave -

Just doing a cursory, drive-by comparison with images of 36315 on a Google search, the Zotz rendition of the "Ding Hao!" looks much closer to the original article in letter size, stroke (width for each portion of the letters), and spacing among the characters. I think Mark's suggestion to cut paper scans as a mock up is a great idea to verify size/position/proportions on the model's nose, itself, etc.

Also, the CAM national insignia are way off in proportion, whereas the Zotz national insignia are in textbook proportion. I would not use the CAM national insignia for any application.

The CAM national insignia designers appear to have had a common difficulty interpreting the proportions of U.S. National Insignia, in that many profile illustrators, artists, and now decal manufacturers can't wrap their head around how the star sits on a disc, and the disc and bars together, have a proportioned surround.

Too many illustrators try to make the star points "touch" the outside of the surround, and can't get the proportions correct by doing that...All the proportions are set by the radius of the central disc (and all five star points "touch" the edges of this inner disc). The white bars should be 1x radius long by 1/2 radius high; upper edge of the bar aligned with the horizontal points of the star (the radius of the blue disc encroaches on the white bar dimension, below the horizontal star points)...and there is a blue border 1/8 the disc radius, that encompasses the entire disc and bars...since the disc and border are both insignia blue, there isn't a defining outline to the border, and I think that's where many of these illustrators and designers run into problems.

As a post-script, the red bar added to the insignia after January 14, 1947, has a measured proportion of 1/6 of the radius, effectively dividing the white bar into thirds, with the red bar in the middle.

Regards,

Chris Mayer

Dave,

Fantastic work!  Chris, thanks for the info regarding the decals.  Not sure I could have noticed the national insignia changes had you not pointed them out.  Now they look obvious.  I need to check my sources, but for general knowledge, thought there were two Ding Hao’s?  I think the Malcolm hood bird is a different Mustang?  I’ll dig around and try to confirm.

Pete

9 hours ago, Pete G. said:

Dave,

Fantastic work!  Chris, thanks for the info regarding the decals.  Not sure I could have noticed the national insignia changes had you not pointed them out.  Now they look obvious.  I need to check my sources, but for general knowledge, thought there were two Ding Hao’s?  I think the Malcolm hood bird is a different Mustang?  I’ll dig around and try to confirm.

Pete

Well, I found the reference.  It was Osprey's Mustang Aces of the Ninth & Fifteenth Air Forces & the RAF.  But, I could not find any photographic evidence of a different bird.  It was certainly easy to find photos of 36315 with both original and Malcolm canopies.  Kind of makes me question the claim of two Ding Hao's....  Anyway, hope Dave's work pushes a new tool P-51B-C forward faster!  Thanks for sharing your efforts with us!

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

With the high school football season over, I've managed to finish her off!  

Here she is, Ding Hao, flown by Medal of Honor winner James Howard.  She isnt perfect but I'm happy with her.

Incidentally, the Monogram 1/48 version of this was my first serious attempt at making a more accurate scale model, all the way back in 1970.  So glad to have revisited the subject!

20211218_152441

20211218_153016

20211218_153107

20211218_152827

And a final shot, along with comparison shots of  my RCAF P-51 Mk Ia, and my early P-51D.  Been on a Mustang tear lately.  Have a P-51D late in the works... 

But first, working on a FLY Hurricane Mk I and an RC 1/6 IDF Super Sherman conversion.

Cheers, everyone I hope you have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Dave/Ironman1945

20211218_152922 post-562-1281264270 IMG_20201109_162025