EE Lightning

Rob Colvin

There are online builds that I can recall where it's tackled.

AFAIR they involve mounting the intake throat further forward to match up with the intake ring.

I can't recall what any consequent problems were.

Thanks all.....I have done a few fixes.....sorted the wing/ fuselage positioning. Not even going  to try the belly tank....I may shorten the main struts a tad.....the model will be buried in my case and will not see the light of day lol.....that said....I just cant get past that intake because the nose is front and center. 

O' real quick.......is the cockpit of a F1/3 gray or black? I have seen both......I think lol.

Edited by Rob Colvin

On 11/8/2020 at 5:47 PM, Rob Colvin said:

Thanks all.....I have done a few fixes.....sorted the wing/ fuselage positioning. Not even going  to try the belly tank....I may shorten the main struts a tad.....the model will be buried in my case and will not see the light of day lol.....that said....I just cant get past that intake because the nose is front and center. 

O' real quick.......is the cockpit of a F1/3 gray or black? I have seen both......I think lol.

Hi Rob,

I think, from memory, the intake is, for some reason, moulded approximately 5 mm further forward than the mating intake trunking - this is probably the major issue with the kit amongst other faults (I have yet to tackle my own Trumpeter F.Mk.6 kit).

BTW, the F.Mk.3 and F.Mk.6 cockpits are Dark Admiralty Grey.

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

3 hours ago, timvkampen said:

I sent Airfix a suggestion to issue the EE / BAC Lightning in 1/32 scale. That may be solving these problems :)

It would be a great entrance in the 32-market for them.

Sadly, (and I realise that things can change) the boss of Airfix when approached on their stand at Telford in 2015 and asked the question regarding 1/32 scale, said that Airfix had no interest in the scale and would concentrate on 1/24 scale instead. 

The reason was the market was far less crowded and offered a wider choice of suitable subjects. 

Perhaps we should ask for a 1/24 scale E.E Lightning instead? :rolleyes:

We live in hope regardless!

2 hours ago, Royboy said:

Sadly, (and I realise that things can change) the boss of Airfix when approached on their stand at Telford in 2015 and asked the question regarding 1/32 scale, said that Airfix had no interest in the scale and would concentrate on 1/24 scale instead. 

The reason was the market was far less crowded and offered a wider choice of suitable subjects. 

Agreed: Perhaps we should ask for a 1/24 Airfix Lightning... :D

13 hours ago, Royboy said:

You could always go bonkers with one of these Roy...if you can find one! :)

Lightning-1.jpg

https://www.arcair.com/Gal8/7901-8000/gal7943-Lightning-Hughes/00.shtm

Derek

Edited by Derek B

3 hours ago, Derek B said:

You could always go bonkers with one of these Roy...if you can find one! :)

Lightning-1.jpg

https://www.arcair.com/Gal8/7901-8000/gal7943-Lightning-Hughes/00.shtm

Derek

My LHS has two of them but they haven't been inventoried yet so they won't sell them until then. They're part of a 10,000 kit collections they bought a couple years ago. It's been a challenge to get it sorted and catalogued.  Covid and some health issues have slowed the process down. 

Edit: oops, thought that was the Echelon kit you'd posted Derek. 

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

8 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

My LHS has two of them but they haven't been inventoried yet so they won't sell them until then. They're part of a 10,000 kit collections they bought a couple years ago. It's been a challenge to get it sorted and catalogued.  Covid and some health issues have slowed the process down. 

Edit: oops, thought that was the Echelon kit you'd posted Derek. 

Carl

Hi Carl,

Perhaps I should have mentioned that it was the Heritage Aviation Models 1/24 scale vacform EE Lightning F.Mk.6 kit, but the Echelon 1/32 vacform kit is magnificent (and accurate) if you can get your hands on one.

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Of course for the true Lightning fan a 1/1 standing proud in your back yard and ready for you to sit in whenever it calls you would be the ideal!

A 1/24 injection moulded one one be the next ideal!

Vacforms don't 'cut the mustard' these days, as I've got too many other kits to build in between and the years pass by too quickly!!

We are in dream comes true territory now, LSP's like the B-25, B-17, B-24 and others have happened and are happening. 

We are constantly dreaming, no harm in it...........and who knows what next??!!

Happy days indeed. :clap2: