Westland Lysander 1/32 Matchbox with Eduard,Master,Montex and scratch

artoor_k

Woah...Yesterday was a day of crash. I tried to finish Lysander but each time I tried to do sth with it I was breaking sth. When spats disintegrated at one moment I had enough.  Today is much better. I've finished this oldie, figures and base can wait.

Let's sum it up...I've worked with Matchbox 1/32 Westland Lysander - in original Matchbox box, which is exactly the same as Revell. I bought Eduard seatbelst, Master's barrels and Montex masks. I've rebuild pilot's and observer seats. Elecrical panel was build from scratch as well as map box. I've rebuild MG-s, barrels were removed and changed for Master's ones. Panel lines were made deeper; also position lights were modified. I could's make wheels fit so I had to modify landing lights. Bomb lauynchers were scratchbuild, ones from box looked like something used to shave sheeps . Ammo boxes are left-overs from Legend set. Ammo belts are from Tamiya set.

Montex masks for cockpit are usable but usually too big or too small.  A lot of work is needed to make transparent parts fit. The worst part was windshiels-fuselage conection. I've mixed Vallejo 331 with acrylic water putty. As a resuld I've got typical RAF interior green. I've puttied seams, after it was dry, I've used white Tamiya putty to get rid of any irregularities.

I've painted Lysander with Tamiya, AK and Mr.Hobby range. As a documentation I've used 4+ Publications, Warpaint and Orange series books. In one of them I've read that checkerboards were not identical on both sides, I've assumed that one of them was turned.  As kit's bombs were looking like everything but no 20lb bombs I've decided not to mount them

Weathering is AMMO fluids and Tamiya pigments. Also I've used watercolor crayons and eveliners for chipping and dirt along with AMMO silver for deepest chips.

Wingspan of Lysander is astonishing :)

I'd like to thank Bruce Dickinson and Iron Maiden for making my mojo flow while listening "Book of Souls" album, especially "Empire of the Sky" track :D

zgDCUBk.jpg

B0pjPmy.jpg

DZvPMiT.jpg

IyDghwf.jpg

pkEZgvu.jpg

mRR0uVl.jpg

vAoEPTL.jpg

Y7iKgN7.jpg

ycEzbXO.jpg

MZL4kVG.jpg

0gzmX5Z.jpg

lB1IhoP.jpg

nWPD0XS.jpg

7sc7VUN.jpg

On 11/8/2020 at 12:02 AM, Jack said:

looking very good, actually i sure would like to try and fly the real thing, must have been a real thrilling operation in WW2........

Thank you :) Indeed, it would be thrilling...but think about view through all this glass :) Like magic carpet ride :D

On 11/8/2020 at 4:08 AM, Out2gtcha said:

Looks great!

The paint and weathering are really nicely done

Thanks :) Weathering is very minimal, I'm still learning to use all these fluids...This particular Lysander in real life was chipped everywhere.

On 11/8/2020 at 6:32 AM, MikeMaben said:

:goodjob:

Thank you :)

On 11/8/2020 at 9:20 AM, Greif8 said:

Very nice build of an old kit! 

Ernest 

On 11/8/2020 at 10:57 AM, dennismcc said:

I like that very much, it looks perfect to me despite the snags list, one day I must build mine.

Cheers

Dennis

Glad you like it :) It builds up pretty well. Fuel tank mount is quite wobbly - it needs to be strenghtened. All inside frame needs to be modified to fit in fuselage without seams. Take your time - Lysander deserves it :) Pilot and observer seats are nowhere near real ones. Lysander books by 4+ Publications and Orange Series are must-have. Warpaint one is useful too.

On 11/8/2020 at 4:19 PM, Uncarina said:

One of the best builds of this beast I’ve seen! You really brought her to life.

Cheers,  Tom

Wow, thank you very much :) 

7 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

I agree Tom.. It is ONE of the  Best I have seen too.

:punk:

FLAWLESS  painting etc..

IMMACULATE  Build.

:wow:

Kudos.

:clap2:

Thank you too :)

That's a really neat job on an old kit, well done.  :goodjob:

On 11/7/2020 at 11:02 PM, Jack said:

looking very good, actually i sure would like to try and fly the real thing, must have been a real thrilling operation in WW2........

There is one flying at the Shuttleworth Collection, not far from me.  It's an odd-looking aeroplane, but it is very agile in the air, and whilst not quite in the Storch league, has a very good STOL performance.

13 hours ago, ironman1945 said:

A great build, well done!

6 hours ago, Rockie Yarwood said:

You've really done the old girl justice! It's wonderful to see these classic kits brought up to the current standard. My hat's off to you!

Glad you like it :) Now I'll go for 1/28 Fokker Dr I or 1/32 Revell Mosquito. Judging by sprues photos, these are going to be...unusual projects  :)

3 hours ago, MikeC said:

That's a really neat job on an old kit, well done.  :goodjob:

There is one flying at the Shuttleworth Collection, not far from me.  It's an odd-looking aeroplane, but it is very agile in the air, and whilst not quite in the Storch league, has a very good STOL performance.

Thank you :) Indeed, it's design is quite...unusual. Very high, wingspan totally unproportional to lenght - looks like grandfather of U-2...But there is something cool in this airplane. I don't know, maybe simmilarity to dragonfly... I really like it :)

3 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

That looks just wonderful.  Great show.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by artoor_k