Sneak previews and update for P-51B set

Ali62

Some sneak previews and news about what I have been up to over the past few months. A few months ago I took the plunge and invested in 3D software and 3D printers.......and upto that point I had no experience in 3D drawing personally or to do the printing. Previously I always had to rely on others to do the drawing and Shapeways or similar to do the printing. Well I jumped in at the deep end and I have developed some parts and printed them myself (not without a lot of torture, late nights, frustration and lots of wasted resin) BUT that is what it takes to self teach yourself new skills and fathom things out.
However I certainly see this as the way forward and although some of my planned products have and will be delayed I am hoping that I will now create better products in the long run. Some of the parts shown are drawn by others, in particular the P-51B canopy section (destined for the 1/32 scale Trumpeter kit) this was drawn by Tim Perry. The first picture shows the first trial of taking the master and taking it through the process of getting it cast in clear, as you can see it is not perfectly clear, but it proved the point that the process could work. Now after lots of amendments and tweaks over the past few months, I now have two new masters shown in the second picture. The reason that there is two is that one is slightly larger to have an open cockpit option and the other a closed option. This is the ONLY practical way I could see to make this work on the kit with the SCALE restrictions we constantly face. So over the next little while I will develop this into a new set.

IMG_4887 
Edited by Ali62

• Ali62 changed the title to Sneak previews and update for P-51B set
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Ali

Any chance of replacements also for the undersized side windows behind the main canopy? (which seems to be a common problems with most P-51B models in any scale).
Same problems applies to the HobbyCraft P-51A.

(-: Roy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ali,

Any progress on the Malcom hood?  I would be very interested in one for my Trumpy P-51B. 

On 5/19/2021 at 4:30 AM, Roy Noras said:

Hi Ali

Any chance of replacements also for the undersized side windows behind the main canopy? (which seems to be a common problems with most P-51B models in any scale).

I second this idea, and would definitely be interested in a set of these as well.

Mark B.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 10:30 AM, Roy Noras said:

Hi Ali

On 5/31/2021 at 9:11 PM, Mark B. said:

Hi Ali,

Any progress on the Malcom hood?  I would be very interested in one for my Trumpy P-51B. 

I second this idea, and would definitely be interested in a set of these as well.

Mark B.

Hi Roy and Mark

Well some good news, it has been brewing for a while and even before your suggestion of the rear side window section this was underway.

Making this set has been very challenging and I have spent hours of honing and polishing (multiply that by at least 10 times)and a lot of money on prints, moulds and test resin runs. At long last I think I am almost there, I need a little more time polishing some of the sections and then to make a further test mould or two. On a time line I expect to release the sets (yes there will be more than one) around mid July, this is due mainly to a 2 week holiday coming up at the end of June/ July, all within the U.K. 

The sets will be all for the Trumpeter kit BUT as always with some work it could be adapted to the Revell kit, but then you will be on your own, same applies to the Hobbycraft kits.

The screen has been just slightly improved from the kit part, and there is a new one piece ‘doghouse’ the rear spine section with the side windows included, then there is two options on the blown bubble section, one for a closed position, and the other for it being open. This had to be done as there was no way to make one section to be fitted in both positions.

so the sets will be as follows

Option 1     screen, closed bubble section and rear section

Option 2    screen, open bubble section, and rear section

Option 3.   screen and rear section for those that want to use the early fold down mid section canopy

I hope to have some pictures and more information soon.

cheers Ali

Hi Ali.  Great news.  Take all the time you need.  I'm not in a rush to start my Mustang since I am currently embroiled in a protracted build of a Revell Enterprise and Yorktown.  

One thing though, would a it be possible to have a set that includes both the closed and opened sliding portion of the canopy?  Or is it not possible due to the rear window panels?

Mark B.

• 10 months later...
On 11/7/2020 at 8:25 PM, Ali62 said:
Some sneak previews and news about what I have been up to over the past few months. A few months ago I took the plunge and invested in 3D software and 3D printers.......and upto that point I had no experience in 3D drawing personally or to do the printing. Previously I always had to rely on others to do the drawing and Shapeways or similar to do the printing. Well I jumped in at the deep end and I have developed some parts and printed them myself (not without a lot of torture, late nights, frustration and lots of wasted resin) BUT that is what it takes to self teach yourself new skills and fathom things out.
However I certainly see this as the way forward and although some of my planned products have and will be delayed I am hoping that I will now create better products in the long run. Some of the parts shown are drawn by others, in particular the P-51B canopy section (destined for the 1/32 scale Trumpeter kit) this was drawn by Tim Perry. The first picture shows the first trial of taking the master and taking it through the process of getting it cast in clear, as you can see it is not perfectly clear, but it proved the point that the process could work. Now after lots of amendments and tweaks over the past few months, I now have two new masters shown in the second picture. The reason that there is two is that one is slightly larger to have an open cockpit option and the other a closed option. This is the ONLY practical way I could see to make this work on the kit with the SCALE restrictions we constantly face. So over the next little while I will develop this into a new set.

IMG_4887 

they look so nice