New Italeri Tornado GR.4 1/32nd scale - first impression - pics

Piero

Just found out that it will be not possible to build a GAF Tornado out of the box. The underwing hard points are the same for RAF and GAF. But the hard points under the fuselage are different. 

We had 13 hard points:

1 & 2 outboard wing

3 & 4 inboard wing

5,7,9,11 L/H fuselage pylon

6,8,10,12 R/H fuselage pylon

13 center fuselage pylon. 

Please correct me if I am wrong but the RAF fuselage pylon seems to have three hard points each fuselage pylon. 

1 hour ago, Stevepd said:

So can you actually build a GR.1 from the box?

Externally yes, but the cockpit will require some modifications.

Others will correct me if i'm wrong but the key external difference between the GR4 and the GR1 is the addition of a FLIR sensor under the fuselage. Fitting the FLIR pod in the GR.4 necessitated the removal of one of the Mauser cannons (port side). However fortunately the option to fit both cannons is included in the kit and just omit the FLIR. The 1500 litre external fuel tanks are unfortunately not included in this particular kit release for some reason. These were the common fit for early GR.1s and also on German and Italian aircraft, but during & after the 1991 Gulf war, the larger 2,200 "Hindenburger" tanks were also used on GR.1s and these are included.  

Beyond that the differences are internal, and as far as the kit goes relate to the cockpit and in particular the front and rear panel displays.   The main display in the pilot's Instrument Panel on the GR.1 has a large round display looking a bit like an old school radar screen; in the GR.4 this was replaced with a square shaped multi-function display. I don't think the earlier IP is in this kit so will need addressing. The rear instrument displays also differ in detail in the GR.4 and probably would depend on just how accurate you want to go; but for the GR.1 fit the round display screen, not the optional rectangular TARDIS multi-function display in the rear panel.  

Shouldn't be too hard to modify.

HTH

Rich

Edited by RichG

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

I'm probably going to get myself excommunicated, but I prefer the strike version in these colours

1200px-Panavia_Tornado_Luftwaffe.jpg

Agreed...for a second kit maybe.....although I want to do one in 1/48th in that exact scheme but there are no decals available for it.

30 minutes ago, onosendai said:

Next week I'll put out a couple of  RAF 1000lbs (slick & retarded tail) if you want to backdate this new Tornado.

Oh yes!

I would like to see also a good pair of Matra Type 155 SNEB rocket pod... not for the Tornado, I know, but still not covered in this scale by the after-maket.

CIAO!

Piero

18 hours ago, Simon TBM said:

Please correct me if I am wrong but the RAF fuselage pylon seems to have three hard points each fuselage pylon. 

Yes, I think this is correct - UK (and Saudi) Tornados have only 3 attachement points on the belly pylons and also use on the front and rear points the MACE (Minimum Area Crutchless Ejector) weapon ejector systems (those bumps on the sides of the pylon).  Italian & German Tornados have more conventional systems with sway bracing provided by crutch arms at the side.

6 hours ago, onosendai said:

Next week I'll put out a couple of  RAF 1000lbs (slick & retarded tail) if you want to backdate this new Tornado.

British bombs! Brilliant  :bow:

Rich

Wonder if anyone else noticed the mistake in the color of the big Tornado silhouette for the BAT Sqn Special Color tail: it should be in steel, instead it has been printed in pink-gold, it think a photo shot at sunset is too blame but many other photos confirm it was just gloss steel paint. It is a pity since more than half of the decals sheet is occupied by these two large silhouettes.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it