New Italeri Tornado GR.4 1/32nd scale - first impression - pics

Piero

Does anyone else find it a little ironic that by the time we get a genuinely good 1/32nd Tornado, most air-forces have retired their real examples? The new kit has been a VERY long time coming....

Chris. 

PS: If you want to be really pedantic (yes, I do), you could argue the same about the F-104 (although the Hasegawa kit was pretty good-for-its-day, admittedly).  

1 hour ago, Stokey Pete said:

I have a vision.

It’s of a Tornado under very heavy braking. An adjustment to the nose gear to compress it down, let all the flaps,slats, and spoilers out, reverse buckets deployed. 
Dammit, I’m talking myself into one. :ph34r:

This is exactly what I had in mind. Race ya:doh:

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

Looking good! I hope the kit is as nice as the instruction, looks good with crisp surface detail.  i'm in for a couple for my long overdue Desert Storm "dirty" birds build!

The GR.4 version only flew in 1997, so too late for Desert Storm.  Can definitely do 2003 Op Telic.  

Are all of the parts in the box for the GR.1/1A or IDS versions, or just some?

Speaking of Operation Telic, which rear IP and seat headrest is correct?  I’m guessing early?  TIA.

Edited by Dave Williams

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The GR.4 version only flew in 1997, so too late for Desert Storm.  Can definitely do 2003 Op Telic.  

Are all of the parts in the box for the GR.1/1A or IDS versions, or just some?

Speaking of Operation Telic, which rear IP and seat headrest is correct?  I’m guessing early?  TIA.

Well looking at the pix and notes from Piero it looks like most of the parts are included for the earlier Gr1. Either way the kit has a decal option for a British desert bird that I'll build- although its hard to see which timeframe it is from. It'll work for me to start with. 

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Well looking at the pix and notes from Piero it looks like most of the parts are included for the earlier Gr1. Either way the kit has a decal option for a British desert bird that I'll build- although its hard to see which timeframe it is from. It'll work for me to start with. 

It's the 'Pinky' retirement scheme as far as I can tell. A throwback to the Gulf War Desert Pink scheme. One of the others is a retirement scheme too. 

Tornado GR.4

To whet the whistle a bit. I lost a lot of my Tornado Photos to a dead portable Hard Drive pre iCloud days. Annoying because I had several of the Prototype Gr.4 from BAE Systems that still wore its wrap around camo scheme.

Edited by ade rowlands

1 minute ago, ade rowlands said:

It's the 'Pinky' retirement scheme as far as I can tell. A throwback to the Gulf War Desert Pink scheme. One of the others is a retirement scheme too. 

Ah cool, thanks for the clarification. :)

16 hours ago, Piero said:

In general, all the aiframe is splitted in a way that we could have more Tornado varints in the future... also an ADV!!!

Ooooh!  I'll start saving my pennies now, would love an F3 in 56 Sqn or 111 Sqn markings.

1 hour ago, ade rowlands said:

Indeed so,, the wrap-around camo scheme is the other one.  Personally I'm waiting for a GR1/1a (please!!) boxing, although from other comments perhaps all the parts are in the box already.  We'll see.

8 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Ooooh!  I'll start saving my pennies now, would love an F3 in 56 Sqn or 111 Sqn markings.

Indeed so,, the wrap-around camo scheme is the other one.  Personally I'm waiting for a GR1/1a (please!!) boxing, although from other comments perhaps all the parts are in the box already.  We'll see.

Indeed. If the cockpit and other parts are in the box I’ll spring for another one. Now, 1/32 Sea Eagle Missile armed Gr.1B would be a thing to behold. 

13 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

I have a vision.

It’s of a Tornado under very heavy braking. An adjustment to the nose gear to compress it down, let all the flaps,slats, and spoilers out, reverse buckets deployed. 
Dammit, I’m talking myself into one. :ph34r:

Let me materialize the image for you :)

099_lego_tiger_final.png

101_lego_tiger_final.png

it's her 1/48 small brother from revell, but exactly in your vision. I also want to bring this to 1/32 with that Italeri kit 

Edited by red Dog

Who had the most memorable Tornado special schemes? German or Italian? I have the Revell "half-a-Tiger" boxing (I think its from the 2001 Tiger Meet, but that's just my rather hazy memory at work). 

My vote would be on the Luftwaffe specials. They really "pushed the boat out " on some of their anniversary schemes. Some of the Italian ones were also very cool. 

Chris. 

3 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

Who had the most memorable Tornado special schemes? German or Italian? I have the Revell "half-a-Tiger" boxing (I think its from the 2001 Tiger Meet, but that's just my rather hazy memory at work). 

My vote would be on the Luftwaffe specials. They really "pushed the boat out " on some of their anniversary schemes. Some of the Italian ones were also very cool. 

Chris. 

I’m gonna go with the GAF’s ‘Blue Lightning’ scheme from 2003 as my favourite. 

Photo courtesy of ©️Garry Lakin.

50579953427_23bf22190e_c.jpg

9 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

The aircraft shown in the instructions isn’t “Pinky”, and isn’t even painted in Desert Pink.  It’s an Op Herrick GR4 in the standard overall gray.  For some reason, the lighting on the photo makes the color on the instruction page look somewhat pinkish, but it really isn’t.

My concern about being able to build a GR.1 from the kit is that I don’t see the second gun panel (just the blanking plate), and the only pilot’s IP seems to be the one with the square radar scope.  I believe the GR.1s had the original round radar scope.

Also, a surprising amount of flash on some of the parts.

Anyway, have one coming from Italy on eBay.  Hopefully will be here sooner than later.

Edited by Dave Williams