Revell Focke Wulf Fw 190 S-8

Chris Wimmer

Hi Chris,

Looks great and very detailed. I am at about the same stage in my build of the Revell Fw 190. I haven’t assembled the cowling parts yet. The manual recommends to attach the small parts with the bulges to the fuselage first and then the engine. I am afraid that any small misalignment in this step could create major fit issues when installing the other cowling pieces.

Your approach seems to be different and you attached the small pieces and some of the other cowling parts to the engine first. Did you do a lot of dry fitting or did it fit just like that?

Cheers

Roger

6 hours ago, VintageEagle said:

Hi Chris,

Looks great and very detailed. I am at about the same stage in my build of the Revell Fw 190. I haven’t assembled the cowling parts yet. The manual recommends to attach the small parts with the bulges to the fuselage first and then the engine. I am afraid that any small misalignment in this step could create major fit issues when installing the other cowling pieces.

Your approach seems to be different and you attached the small pieces and some of the other cowling parts to the engine first. Did you do a lot of dry fitting or did it fit just like that?

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger, you don't have to introduce yourself. I'm well aware of your build because it is the one that gives me restless nights. Your riveting work and also your treatment to the control surfaces looks just fantastic. Now it gnaws at me to add rivets to my build, but it's too late now I'm afraid. Also I want to say thank you for sharing your research work. Otherwise for sure I'd have missed to eliminate the "Flugwerk" panels.

Well, when I assembled the cowling parts I tried to proceed very carefully and had some minor fitting issues. First I glued all the parts together as shown in the picture below, using Tamiya Extra Thin. I let it settle a couple of minutes and, when not too weak anymore, but still soft, I attached the whole thing to the fuselage by applying tiiiny dots of CA to both sides (wings weren't on at this stage) and let it cure over night.

2oliFqM.jpg

FhffAto.jpg

When putting the cowling parts together of course I focused on a clean outline. But this created a noticeable step on the inside (yellow circle) that caused minor engine fitting issues later. Additionally I had to lower the engine parts shown in the picture below. Not much, just a little. I'd be interested if these issues also occur when you follow the instructions. 

x6r8Hu4.jpg  

Finally I applied the upper front and rear cowling parts by using the large side panels as templates. I had to attach them that early because building the new engine bearer required a lot of dryfitting. Too late I noticed that for some reason the rear end of the gun cowling turned out offset about 1mm to the right. I had to add the ominous triangle (picture 4 and 5 of my latest post) to force the cowling in place. But that's no big deal and works to my satisfaction.

1Bs6kBu.jpg

Hope this helps. Keep up your good work, I'm following along with interest!  :)

cheers

Chris

18 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Dude!!!

That’s awesome detailing Chris! Absolutely wonderful work.

Cheers,

Wolf

Holy crap, the master speaks!

Thank you for the kind and encouraging words, Wolf! Very appreciated! :)

cheers

Chris

On 6/27/2021 at 11:39 PM, Chris Wimmer said:

Hi Roger, you don't have to introduce yourself. I'm well aware of your build because it is the one that gives me restless nights. Your riveting work and also your treatment to the control surfaces looks just fantastic. Now it gnaws at me to add rivets to my build, but it's too late now I'm afraid. Also I want to say thank you for sharing your research work. Otherwise for sure I'd have missed to eliminate the "Flugwerk" panels.

Well, when I assembled the cowling parts I tried to proceed very carefully and had some minor fitting issues. First I glued all the parts together as shown in the picture below, using Tamiya Extra Thin. I let it settle a couple of minutes and, when not too weak anymore, but still soft, I attached the whole thing to the fuselage by applying tiiiny dots of CA to both sides (wings weren't on at this stage) and let it cure over night.

2oliFqM.jpg

FhffAto.jpg

When putting the cowling parts together of course I focused on a clean outline. But this created a noticeable step on the inside (yellow circle) that caused minor engine fitting issues later. Additionally I had to lower the engine parts shown in the picture below. Not much, just a little. I'd be interested if these issues also occur when you follow the instructions. 

x6r8Hu4.jpg  

Finally I applied the upper front and rear cowling parts by using the large side panels as templates. I had to attach them that early because building the new engine bearer required a lot of dryfitting. Too late I noticed that for some reason the rear end of the gun cowling turned out offset about 1mm to the right. I had to add the ominous triangle (picture 4 and 5 of my latest post) to force the cowling in place. But that's no big deal and works to my satisfaction.

1Bs6kBu.jpg

Hope this helps. Keep up your good work, I'm following along with interest!  :)

cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for your kind words about my Revel Fw 190 build. I am a very slow builder and the riveting took much longer than I anticipated. A lot of time was spent on figuring out the correct pattern, but now that I have done that the overall process would be faster next time. I plan to buy the Zoukei Mura Fw 190s when the become available and compare it with the Revell kit.

Thank you for your detailed explanations. Aligning the panels while the thin cement is still soft is a great idea and most likely results in a better fit than with the process suggested in the manual. I have bought more than one kit just to make sure I have some spare parts if needed and I will probably try to assemble the cowling using spare parts first to see if and where I run into fit issues. I can then still adjust the approach if needed. 

I decided not to detail the engine as I won't show the panels open, but seeing your detailed engine is tempting me to do the same. How did you created the aluminum ring for the spark plug wires?

I look forward to seeing how your build moves along. 

Cheers,

Roger

7 hours ago, VintageEagle said:

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for your kind words about my Revel Fw 190 build. I am a very slow builder and the riveting took much longer than I anticipated. A lot of time was spent on figuring out the correct pattern, but now that I have done that the overall process would be faster next time. I plan to buy the Zoukei Mura Fw 190s when the become available and compare it with the Revell kit.

Thank you for your detailed explanations. Aligning the panels while the thin cement is still soft is a great idea and most likely results in a better fit than with the process suggested in the manual. I have bought more than one kit just to make sure I have some spare parts if needed and I will probably try to assemble the cowling using spare parts first to see if and where I run into fit issues. I can then still adjust the approach if needed. 

I decided not to detail the engine as I won't show the panels open, but seeing your detailed engine is tempting me to do the same. How did you created the aluminum ring for the spark plug wires?

I look forward to seeing how your build moves along. 

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Roger!

the aluminium ring is just a piece of evergreen styrene rod, bent and taped over something round and then dipped into almost boiling water. I used the same method to make the windshield flushing pipes. BTW did you order the BMW logo decals? If so, how do you like them?

cheers  :)

Chris

jNZJVBk.jpg