Revell Focke Wulf Fw 190 S-8

Chris Wimmer

When I wasn't familiar with the kit, I often was wondering how these thin stems should ever carry the massive engine!

aZAbPfQ.jpg

72ms4pI.jpg

For those who don't know the kit, here's the answer: The engine bearer is to be glued between the quite thick molded rear side panels, where it will be securely held in place.

qBg40GH.jpg

Unfortunately this seems to be not the best solution when you are planning to cut these panels out.  :frantic:

2tCQZPb.jpg

Whatsoever, that's the way it is and slowly my model begins to look like I want it to...

jes90lu.jpg

Thanks for stopping by  :)

Chris

Edited by Chris Wimmer

On 3/2/2021 at 12:27 PM, Kais said:

Chris,
Do you have any idea how thick those engine mount tubes actually are in real life?
I am enjoying your build very much.
Onwards!!

Thank you for the kind words, Kais! I don't know how thick they actually are, but I guess they should be about 50 mm.

cheers

Chris

kg4w91b.jpg

Edited by Chris Wimmer

• 2 months later...

Hello Everybody, time for an update! :)

At least I managed to (almost) finish the engine:

ZxOniRY.jpg

KqEqdyP.jpg

5LkxEzV.jpg

NyLRce3.jpg

pp62Mrn.jpg

gTOA0V1.jpg

Still some wiring and plumbing needs to be done:

yhn82kk.jpg

The pic below shows the wheel well of the Hendon aircraft. I think it's remarkable that the central cover ist missing and I'm wondering whether the bird was actually flown in this condition. In any case this circumstance provides a much better look into the engine bay, so I did the same to my build. I also think about removing the inner covers as well. Still not sure... 

7gGlq0R.jpg

mCUd0AE.jpg

FEXepy6.jpg

Thanks for looking in!  :)

Chris 

Edited by Chris Wimmer

• 1 month later...

Progress report!

Hello Everybody and sorry for proceeding so slow. As this bird is bare of any armament I will try to make it look more interesting by giving it a detailed engine instead. But I always have to wait for a "good day" to get all those fiddly pieces sorted.

I have wired and plumbed the devices by using copper wire for the electrics and lead wire for the hoses and pipes. Rather than ordinary lead wire I prefer electronic solder wire, 0,5mm and 1mm stretched to 0,8, because it's hollow and can easily be drilled out. 

ejDGCWc.jpg

gr1udX1.jpg

K0tVt7F.jpg

I connected the wires by following the drawings and now the engine section looks like this. Painting and weathering not finished yet. I don't pay much attention to the area in front of the cockpit, which will disappear under the gun coverage. Some trainers had a small "injection tank" installed. Mine is the oxygene tank from the Trumpeter Me262 kit. Unfortunately I couldn't find out what was injected here:

C3 Injection? - As far as I know C3 was the fuel used for this bird. No extra tank needed...    :huh:

GM1? - Improving performance at high altitude- unlikely on an unpressurized training aircraft...   :wacko:

MW50? - Improving performance at low level- small tank sufficient for training purposes- hmm...     :blink:

Alcohol for the instructor???  :beer4:

No idea! I will connect the wire to the air intake when the engine is glued in place. Feels good...   :whistle:

cHIwFjk.jpg

UpcJwZ1.jpg

Test fit...

rq5tHyx.jpg

cWKxlIs.jpg

Also the wheelbay is almost done. Will make the central engine support strut next...

lFUjEWz.jpg

Tailwheel retraction made from a guitar string (no gigs in sight anyway)

hm9qMFc.jpg

IgfSrmG.jpg

More to come soon, I hope so.

Thanks for looking in!   :)

Chris

Edited by Chris Wimmer