Revell Focke Wulf Fw 190 S-8

Chris Wimmer

On 1/8/2021 at 5:15 PM, Kagemusha said:

One thing else to be gleaned from the video was how sloppy the spinner spirals were, obviously didn't use a mask from Eduard.

Nice work on the prop and fan.

If Eduard masks were there- I'm sure they'd have used them! Thank you for the kind words! ;)

On 1/8/2021 at 7:56 PM, Alain Gadbois said:

I love the work on the fan gearing! Very impressive!

Alain

Thank you, Alain! Can't wait to turn the prop on the finished model. Hope it works to my satisfaction...   :)

On 1/8/2021 at 8:20 PM, RadBaron said:

Mate that is bloody clever!! Love it :D

Thanks very much! Very appreciated...  :)

On 1/8/2021 at 9:39 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Great to see this one back, Chris! That is some amazing engineering work.

Kev

Thank you, Kev! I'm happy that you like what I'm doing with my trainer. Still hoping you'll get back to yours one day!  :)

Focussing on the engine now. Many things need to be fixed up after it has been lying around for years. In addition I have cut off the device mount for further detailing work. Inside the red circle you can (or can't) make out the now black painted gearwheels.  

m3gTmKs.jpg

8GE4JwK.jpg

Thanks for looking in!  :)

Chris

Edited by Chris Wimmer

• Chris Wimmer changed the title to Revell Focke Wulf Fw 190 S-8
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi again!

The space in front of the engine looks a bit empty as the Revell kit doesn't provide an oil tank. I found a couple of good pictures of a Fw190A-3 tank, not sure whether it's correct for the A-8. Anyway this is the point where my efforts on serious modelling come to an end: The kit engine is placed much more forward than the real one. So all I did was to create something that gives just an idea of all the things that should be there...

dFiqulg.jpg

HKOS2pL.jpg

bcIIOqs.jpg

s1b3ENt.jpg

xfxpEPi.jpg

YQt95Iz.jpg

hvse97R.jpg

FKsWZP4.jpg

More to come soon, thanks for looking in!   :)

Chris

Edited by Chris Wimmer

On 1/7/2021 at 12:51 PM, Chris Wimmer said:

x5qmQtR.jpg

Happy New Year Everyboy! :)

It's been a while since I made my latest post, but this doesn't mean there has nothing happened in between. So I have to tell a little story first: Years ago I reworked my stone-old Hasegawa Wuerger and backdated it to a Fw190A-2. Back then I didn't want to attach the cooling fan to the prop again, because on the real aircraft the fan rotated with about triple prop speed!

2MyyUks.jpg

I wanted my model to do the same, so I came up with a simple gearing by using gearwheels that I found at a model-railway shop. These were quite big, about 20mm in diameter, but that didn't matter because the engine section was to be sealed up anyway. Well, the gearing works nicely today and generates an enjoyable "WOW!" everytime I invite a guest to turn the prop. 

I have made a video to show you the effect. Added a bit airshow sound and also Count Basie's "April in Paris", because I found it suitable and because I love brass...  :innocent:

Check it out here:                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os5O3g3OKWY

LReE7Ml.jpg

Of course I want to add this gimmick to this build as well, but as I want to display the engine, partially at least, everything has to be smaller this time. The model-railway shop doesn't exist anymore, so I made an attempt by using small sized nylon gearwheels, as you can see in the following 2016 pic. Unfortunately this configuration didn't work at all, maybe the gearwheels were to small and soft and also the gear ratio wasn't right. Finally it turned out to be this build's ticket to the SOD... 

s2cGiSJ.jpg

Thank god LSP has always been my greatest mojo-source, so here is what I did during the past weeks:

Prop-shaft made from 2mm brass rod, soldered to a 20 teeth gearwheel.

Fan-shaft made from 3mm brass tube, soldered to a 12 teeth gearwheel.

HUp90Ac.jpg

By using these gearwheels I will achieve a transmission ratio of about 2,75. So this means that the fan will turn a little bit too slow. I'd rather prefer 3 or a bit more, but this finally depends on the gearwheels you can get and I think I can live with it.

ylxFSxM.jpg

The newly prepared housing:

tYImQ94.jpg

Gearing in place...

M4Cn5C2.jpg

and covered:

dZRjzKW.jpg

My little intervention should be barely visible once the engine is finished...

5KneAmB.jpg

Thanks for looking in!  :)

Chris

I wish I have your patience!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Everybody, time for an update, absolutely!  :)

Let's start with the main spar which is not entirely correct in shape. If you leave it as it is, the gear bay will be losing a lot of its depth...

YQqcgPP.jpg

So I started with this...

qmUYAYG.jpg

and ended up here:

AdWDamw.jpg

Then I tried to add further improvements to the engine:

Sr7NTwz.jpg

I cut small pieces of injection needle, glued them into a shaped piece of sheet styrene and then made twelve copies from UV glue:

1oVyvd6.jpg

Added some paint...

HlE4wxG.jpg

...and glued them in place. So here ist my almost finished kit engine with the oil wash still wet...

ITFRa2p.jpg

Well, that's the state of my build now. Hmm, no chance at all to hit the deadline...  :hmmm:  

Eeh...HUHU........Dear Mr. Admin......Sir! May I kindly ask you to extend this GB by about.........THREE YEARS???????????

ciR7zZ9.jpg

Thanks for looking in  :)

Chris

Edited by Chris Wimmer

7 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Superb work, Chris! And still an inspiration for my own effort. Should we move your build over to the WiP forum?

Kev

I agree with you, Kev. Definately want to carry on with this one. Also many Thanks for the kind words!   :)

cheers

Chris