Revell Focke Wulf Fw 190 S-8

Chris Wimmer

Hello Everybody!

Sorry for joining the party a bit late! This is my Revell conversion project that I started four years ago.  I finally recovered it from the SOD and really hope to get it done this time…

Pictures taken in 2016:

YZjjfoB.jpg

thxEefm.jpg

SlZHPXQ.jpg

As8ur3q.jpg

rigLd4z.jpg

adfauzs.jpg

Pictures taken yesterday. The sheet styrene both of cockpit and fuselage has obviously turned into yellow over the years... 

Qy6QTPs.jpg

jAUqJ9C.jpg

So this is the point where I'm starting from.  AM will be a set of Eduard seatbelts as well as Airscale bezels & dials. February you said? 

Think I will have to roll my sleeves up...once again...  :)

Thanks for looking in

Chris

11 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Boy does this look familiar! This might just be the kick in the pants I need to drag mine out again. Good luck, Chris! Mine was started in 2009...

Kev

I remember, Kev! Would really love to take a look at your thread. Where can I find it?  :)

31 minutes ago, Chris Wimmer said:

I remember, Kev! Would really love to take a look at your thread. Where can I find it?  :)

Here you go, Chris:

Just don't take anything you see there as gospel. I'm also planning to make changes to some of the work I've already done, and hopefully your build will be just the motivation I need!

Kev

Thanks for sharing the link here , Kev! It's really amazing how much work you have already put into your build. Really hope that I can motivate you (although I'm still not entirely sure how to get mine done...  :whistle:).

Nice pic of the canopy. I always loved that morbid look and will try to represent it by using clear sheet and self-adhesive aluminium foil, hope it works...

Iuw9DTV.jpg

I made the hump by just bending a piece of 0,5mm sheet styrene. In advance I milled a small groove where it meets the fuselage. As shown in my first post this section was already done. However, it looked somewhat twisted and asymetrical, so I had to mill the support wall away and then carefully bent the hump into the correct position:

NrXCiI6.jpg

Instructor's cockpit: The starboard side console looks quite simple and wasn't a big deal to do. 

wfaRtFF.jpg

The console on port side is a different thing. I vacuformed it over a carved piece of balsawood. 

bfrSgh0.jpg

Side console looks right to me, not so the forward part of the hump. I will try again later... 

kSETmVB.jpg

So my Cockpit section is almost ready for paint. Just a little more detail to be added: 

CtVgMSw.jpg

Thanks for looking in...  :)

Chris 

Edited by Chris Wimmer

Progress report for today! :) 

Have finally finished all the instrument panels. I used  the kit decals for the kit parts and airscale bezels and dials for the scratchbuilt. The hole in the rear lower panel sits EXACTLY in the centre, gnnn...  :hmmm:

i24ib22.jpg

Main IP glued in place. Before I gave it that "glass" look by applying a drop of UV glue I replaced the horizon and the RPM by cannibalizing my second kit...

aRKizmy.jpg

Test fit...

eF8y57p.jpg

JKvZsAI.jpg

Let's take a look into Peter Rodeike's fantastic Fw190 book. On the right you can see two different styles of trainer cockpits. I'm going for the upper one, which looks pretty much like the Hendon example. The lower one is believed to be a converted Fw190A-5, if the white numbers written below the panel actually show its serial number. Kev is doing this version and he painted the cockpit in RLM66 grey, so I decided to try something different. 

Hey Kev, you really did a marvellous job on your Fw190 trainer and I like it very much! I think it's definately too beautiful for finally ending up on the the SOD. Searching the www I found nothing but one sole twin-seater build in our favourite scale out there! Hey, why not let there be three!  :lol::thumbsup:

vxPDAHv.jpg

More test fit...

zmfxMt2.jpg

Working on the seatbelts today. I used the Eduard parts as seen here, but I prefer lead foil and wire for the shoulder straps. Note that there is no cushion attached to the rear seat. According to my sources a seat parachute was used here instead of a backpack, due to a lack of space.  

s46rs9A.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Chris :)

53 minutes ago, Jerry Crandall said:

Great job so far. Keep in mind the seat backs are armored iron so there would be no silver chipping. Also the seat cushions are RLM 66.

Cheers, Jerry

Thanks very much , Jerry! That's just in time... 

cheers, Chris

Edited by Chris Wimmer

Great work, Chris!

1 hour ago, Chris Wimmer said:

Hey Kev, you really did a marvellous job on your Fw190 trainer and I like it very much! I think it's definately too beautiful for finally ending up on the the SOD. Searching the www I found nothing but one sole twin-seater build in our favourite scale out there! Hey, why not let there be three!  :lol::thumbsup:

Thanks, Chris. I definitely intend to get back to it - and hopefully soon! But I really need to clear the bench of other projects that are in the way first, rather than simply extending my SoD queue!

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Update for today! :)

I have no idea how to use a 3D printer, so I'm afraid it's rather old school stuff what I'm about to show you here: Gluing pieces of tinplate to both sides of a piece of balsawood. Then carefully cutting and sanding away all the excess material and - after several trials and errors the front part of the hump finally sits in place 

viPTT7J.jpg 

4QYEp66.jpg

UTjaMKt.jpg

4MQIMIJ.jpg

Reworked the seats and added a little dark grey chipping to the backs. The cushion is painted RLM66 now, thanks again, Jerry! :)

saM5gUx.jpg

You may have noticed that the flight sticks are missing. I found that the KG13 stick coming with the new Me262 kit looks very much more like the real thing, so I ordered a pair from Revell. Still waiting...

apq05Sh.jpg

Thanks for looking in  :)

Chris