Rattle Can Spray Matt Coats

James Rademaker

Members,

I am a modeler who does not use an airbrush. I would like to get some opinions on a good spray matte coat. I use Future as a gloss coat to  prepare the surface for decals and then another coat of Future to seal or protect the decals. My usual source of a spray dull coat or matte is no longer available. With that information in mind any suggestions on a reliable matte  rattle or spray can that will give me a results that will not ruin the paint job or deals?

Thanks,

Jim

GSI Mr Super Clear (matt) UV cut I use it all the time and when I was doing models shows in the UK as the GSI distributor when Testors dull coat became unavailable that was the go to option for a lot of my customers.

Bob

I've used Tamiya gloss and flat in a rattle can, the gloss coat i have had problems with it attacking the Tamiya kit decals....causes them to wrinkle....odd. Have to say, the flat isn't dead flat, does have a sheen to it.

Don

40 minutes ago, Stokey Pete said:

I’ve always used Vallejo Acrylic varnish aerosols, but they’re increasingly hard to find at reasonable prices these days.

I still use Vallejo Acrylic, but I airbrush it from a bottle now. Both are really nice flat finishes. 

Yup!! The Vallejo Acrylic Matt in bottle is my go to flat finish, now. Haven't tried the spray can, do see it in the hobby shop...big tins...might be economically better.

Don

• 4 weeks later...