1:32 scale - Nieuport N.28C1

sandbagger

Hi all,
As I'm waiting for the display case for the Bristol M.1C model, I thought I'd star the next model.
This model will represent the Nieuport N.28C1, Serial No.6177, of the 95th Aero Squadron, 1st Pursuit Group, operating from Saints aerodrome, France, during 1918.
This particular aircraft was flown by 1st Lt. Quentin Roosevelt, the son of the ex-President.
As very little of the cockpit will be seen, I'll just add control lines and bracing rigging, so essentially 'out-of-box - I think ;)

Mike

header.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
The fuselage for the Nieuport 28C1 is ready to be closed up.
I did say this was to be an out-of-the box build, which it is.
Well, apart from:
Peach basket resin seat from 'Aviatic'.
Floor frame and side frames cross bracing wires - 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube (blackened) and 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament.
Rudder and elevator control wires - 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube (blackened) and 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament.
0.3 mm and 0.4 mm diameter lead wire ('PlusModel' - oil pulse meter pipe and starter switch wire.
0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube - control rod from mixture control quadrant.
Two forward cockpit frames (under main fuel tank) and shoulder height slotted panels - from photo-etch 'PART' N28 set.
Tachometer decal - 'Airscale' WW1 instrument set.
Shoulder harness and lap straps - from 'Wingnut Wings' Sopwith Snipe photo-etch set.

The supplied instrument panel was modified to represent the actual panel.
Most kit versions are modelled on the panel in the NASM reconstructed aircraft, which had additional instruments fitted for test flights.
The aircraft had Tulip wood diagonal crossed strips, as opposed to the traditional Nieuport metal cladding.
This was replicated by scribing the internal surface of the fuselage halves. 

Paints used were 'Tamiya' acrylics, 'Mr. Colour' enamels and 'Alclad' lacquers.
Finishes used were 'AK Interactive' engine oil wash, 'Flory Models' Grime clay wash and 'Alclad' Light Sheen lacquer.

Now to close it up inside the fuselage, never to be seen again,

Mike

pitdone1.jpg

pitdone2.jpg

pitdone3.jpgpitdone4.jpg

pitdone5.jpg

pitdone6.jpg

pitdone7.jpg

Hi Matt,

So far not to bad.

Others have found the lower wing warped, although in my kit its the upper wing that's warped.

No a deal breaker.

It's a typical earlier Roden kit, so room for improvement.

Hi all,
A few updates done.
I've added some photo-etch detail to the fuselage - elevator exit openings, side access panel, top panel edges and the rivet ring on the engine cowl.
I've also drilled out the openings in the carburettor air intake and both ends of the fuel 'Baden' type venturi exhauster.
Also the basic engine, which I've replaced with a 'Wingnut Wings' Oberursel U.I engine, is finished apart from the ignition leads.
The German Oberursel engine was a copy of the Le Rhone 9N engine.
One difference was that the Le Rhone engine had twin spark plugs co-located on the side of each each cylinder.
The Oberursel had twin sparks plugs, but at 90 degrees to each other.
As neither the plugs or in fact the cylinder heads will be seen once the engine cowl is fitted, I've left the plugs as they are.

Mike

frontend.jpg

eng2.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
Just a quick update.
The kit supplied wing struts are only located into the wings with a short styrene ‘stubs’.
Also the fuselage struts are ‘butt’ joints to the fuselage and have no locating stubs.
Therefore I chose to add reinforcing rods to the wings and struts to better locate, align and support the wings.
The wing struts will locate into the wings with 0.5mm diameter rods.
The fuselage struts will be located with 0.4 mm diameter rod.
I've also added anchor points at all of the fuselage and wing rigging points,

Mike

struts1.jpg

struts2.jpg

struts3.jpg

Hi all,
I've made a start on the painting phase.
The undersides of the wings would have the faint shadows from the leading edge fairings, wing ribs, rear spar and cross bracing wires.
The upper surfaces hardly at all as they were brush painted with coloured dopes.
I thought this time, I'd try representing these shadows with a slightly different technique.

I airbrushed the undersides with 'AK Interactive' white primer, which was required for when I apply the 'Aviattic' clear CDL decals.
Then I over sprayed a light coat of 'Tamiya' Smoke (X19).
I scanned the internal structure of both with and rescaled the scans to the correct side.
Then coloured the structure with contrasting colours and saved them as JPG files.
These were uploaded into my 'Cricut' Explore Air 2 crafters cutter and the parts not required were deleted.
I then cut the masks using 'Artool' Ultra Mask sheets.
These were placed onto the wings with the parts not required removed.
A light coat of the white primer was airbrushed and then the masks removed.
The bracing wires were drawn on the wings using a pencil.
Finally a light, blend coat of the white was airbrushed to blend everything.

The surfaces still need to be gloss coated before the CDL decals are applied,

Mike  

master1.jpg

master2.jpg

cricut1.jpg

cricut3.jpg

preshade1.jpg

preshade3.jpg

preshade5.jpg

preshade7.jpg

preshade8.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
Just a quick update.
I've painted the camouflage scheme, using 'Tamiya' acrylics thinned with 'Mr. Colour' levelling thinners 400.
Most of the colours were mixed to create as near as possible the shades of colours.
Airbrushed between 'UHU' white tack 'worms' with additional masking to protect from over spray.

Mike

paintdone1.jpg

paintdone2.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
I've applied the decals to the wing struts and the rudder from the ‘SuperScale’ WW1 Nieuport 28C-1 (MS320243) set.
The pre-moulded lined wrappings around the struts were way to thick.
I sanded them away and replaced them with white 1.5 mm wide white stripes from the ‘Xtradecal’ parallel stripes white (XPS2) set.
Also applied are the wing decals, which are ‘Aviattic’ aged varnish CDL (ATT32094) linen effect decal undersides and Linen Weave Effect (ATT32236) on top surfaces.
The decals are glossy due to the base coat, but will be toned down eventually,

Mike

strutdecal.jpg

rudderdecal.jpg

cdldecal1.jpg

cdldecal2.jpg

camodecal1.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
Apart from the propeller, all of the decals have now been applied.
Undersides using ‘Aviattic’ aged varnish CDL (ATT32094) over base colours.
Top surfaces 'Aviattic' Linen Weave Effect (ATT32236) over base colours.
Individual marking from the ‘SuperScale’ WW1 Nieuport 28C-1 (MS320243) set.
Final sealing coat of 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC-311) lacquer.

Now I'll need apply weathering before adding details, such as the retaining strap for the engine cowl and ring supports for the front of the machine gun cooling jackets.
Then it'll be pre-rigging and start the construction,

Mike

finaldecal1.jpg

finaldecal2.jpg

finaldecal3.jpg

finaldecal4.jpg

finaldecal5.jpg

finaldecal6.jpg

finaldecal7.jpg

finaldecal8.jpg

finaldecal9.jpg

finaldecal10.jpg