Indian Navy Mig 29K

Hi all,

I have the trumpy mig-29k kit and planned on building it as an Indian Navy plane. Trouble is there appears to be very little data about the Indian Navy using them and few photos - most of what I've found have been the 2 seat version. From what I can work out India started acquiring them from about 2009 onwards and have some 30 plus aircraft - but this is based on info found on one site only and the lack of reference material makes me wonder if this is correct. Any pointers on where I can find some decent reference photos and material would be really helpful.  Otherwise it's going to end up as a Russian Navy plane !

thanks

neil

I'm afraid you can't build a production-standard MiG-29K from the Trumpeter kit - or at least not without very significant modification. When Trumpeter brought out their MiG-29K kit, the aircraft existed only as a prototype, and that's what you get with the kit. After the fall of the Soviet Union, the entire project was basically put on ice, both because of a lack of funds, but also because the AV-MF had decided to go with the Su-33 as their carrier fighter. The MiG-29K was revived only around 2004, because of Indian interest - they needed carrier fighters for the Admiral Gorshkov / Vikramaditya aircraft carrier they intended to acquire from Russia. In the intervening 15+ years, obviously a lot of development work had been done, so the final MiG-29K production standard aircraft differ a lot from the late 1980s prototypes, and are actually much closer to the MiG-35. If I'm not mistaken, at least all Indian MiG-29K aircraft have a unified canopy - i.e. both single and two seat machines use the same canopy.

Edited by pvanroy

wow, loads to look at and so quickly - thanks. Need to properly read through to make it clear what I'm looking at but now understand why most of the pictures I could find had the larger double canopy. I'm not fussed about how accurate the model is as long as it looks like an Indian mig-29 but the larger canopy goes beyond my not too fussed line. But there are clearly single canopy aircraft pictured that look like they match the trumpy kit to my not too fussed eyes but as I say I need to read all of this great information to understand it. Thanks so much for the quick and extensive response.

37 minutes ago, MARU5137 said:

Neil, 

The article starts of with the fact that the MiG 29-K is offered in either one seater or two seater

Please scroll down to read about Mig- 29K's Development  history and design features and avionics etc.

MiG-29K Carrier-Based Multirole Fighter Aircraft - Naval Technology.

https://www.naval-technology.com/projects/mig-29k-carrier-based-multirole-fighter-aircraft/

Aero India 2015 :: MiG-29K Model with Foldin Wings 4 [Bharat-Rakshak.com]

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/AeroIndia2007/Display_Stalls/MiG-29K+Model+with+Foldin+Wings+4.jpg.html

Aero India 2015 :: MiG-29K Model with Foldin Wings 1 [Bharat-Rakshak.com]

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/AeroIndia2007/Display_Stalls/MiG-29K+Model+with+Foldin+Wings+1.jpg.html

Aero India 2015 :: MiG-29K Model with Foldin Wings 2 [Bharat-Rakshak.com]

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/AeroIndia2007/Display_Stalls/MiG-29K+Model+with+Foldin+Wings+2.jpg.html

thanks so much, this is really helpful

3 hours ago, pvanroy said:

I'm afraid you can't build a production-standard MiG-29K from the Trumpeter kit - or at least not without very significant modification.

unfortunately I've come to the same conclusion - it's the larger canopy that's the issue and I haven't got the skills to replicate that with the trumpy kit. Plan B will be build as per the box. That will teach me not to do my homework before buying - I wanted to build a non-Russian example and looked at all of the versions on offer but picked the K because of the Indian Navy. It's been 42 years since I left school but those old teacher reports on my performance still ring on my ears - has the capability but is lazy, must do better if he is to succeed !