Hong Kong Models - 1/32 Do335 A-10 Trainer announced

Trak-Tor

• Trak-Tor changed the title to Hong Kong Models - 1/32 Do335 A-10 Trainer announced
1 hour ago, John1 said:

How many of these aircraft were actually produced?  Did any of them actually fly?Just seems like it’s one step removed from Luftwaffe ‘46.  

A surprisingly large number were actually completed and flew, while others were in various states of assembly when the war ended.

http://www.skylighters.org/encyclopedia/do335.html

32 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

A surprisingly large number were actually completed and flew, while others were in various states of assembly when the war ended.

http://www.skylighters.org/encyclopedia/do335.html

My comment was directed at the A-10 variant although I guess it also applies to the -335 in general.  From the linked website, it appears that wn 240112 was sole A-10 variant that flew.  Just seems that a more relevant subject could have been released but I know that's highly subjective. 

Just now, John1 said:

My comment was directed at the A-10 variant although I guess it also applies to the -335 in general.  From the linked website, it appears that wn 240112 was sole A-10 variant that flew.  Just seems that a more relevant subject could have been released but I know that's highly subjective. 

If you’ve already invested in the tooling for the single seater, it’s a no-brainer to go ahead and release the twin seater, since it’s only a few more parts.  HKM and ZM did in 1/32 scale, Tamiya did the same in 1/48 scale, and even the old 70’s Monogram kit came with both single seat and twin seat parts.  For looks or whatever, the Do335 has always been a popular subject.  “Relevance” doesn’t always dictate what’s popular.

HK has a few variants of this airframe. I'm thinking most Luftwaffle subjects have been covered up to now.... generally speaking. To me, the 335 is relevant, not only for its design elements, the sheer innovation, but they did make them and fly them. There is some very cool late war stuff the Germans did. This is one of them.

3 hours ago, John1 said:

How many of these aircraft were actually produced?  Did any of them actually fly? Just seems like it’s one step removed from Luftwaffe ‘46.  

There is mention of these being encountered over Germany in 1945 in Pierre Clostermann's book, "The Big Show".  Eric "Winkle" Brown also describes the plane, together with his impressions of flying them, in his book "Wings of the Luftwaffe", an excellent read if you can get hold of a copy.  He also mentions the tragic demise of the A-10 at Farnborough in 1946, when the rear engine caught fire in the air.  This is likely the plane depicted in the marking options above.

As to the HKM kit, I have the ZM kit in my stash, but it's still good news as it means the likelyhood of some aftermarket that I may be able to use. :D

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55