LSP Group Build Calendar

BradG

On 2/17/2021 at 11:51 AM, BradG said:

Going to have to rule out Coastal Command for as I understand it, they came under the RAF banner not the FAA. Sorry.

Correct.  Incidentally, a little-known fact is that once the early "politicking" was done, RAF Photo Reconnaissance units were part of Coastal Command.

Quick question about the "Blue Box of Happiness" GB, and my apologies if this has been asked previously: does someone else's kit reboxed and sold under the Revell label count, eg Matchbox Tiger Moth, ICM Bu 131, SH P-39?  Edit: just to clarify, I mean the GB entry will be from a Revell box, whatever the origin of the plastic.

Edited by MikeC

8 hours ago, MikeC said:

Quick question about the "Blue Box of Happiness" GB, and my apologies if this has been asked previously: does someone else's kit reboxed and sold under the Revell label count, eg Matchbox Tiger Moth, ICM Bu 131, SH P-39?  Edit: just to clarify, I mean the GB entry will be from a Revell box, whatever the origin of the plastic.

Yes they are in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Question for the upcoming "Out of Africa" GB. Is Malta considered part of Africa?

Geologically it is, but politically Malta has traditionally been part of Europe.

I know it's a little ways off, but I want to build  one of Beurling's Spitfire from Malta, and was wondering if this would be considered for this build.

If not, I have a couple of Luftwaffe planes that would probably work. HE-111, and a JU-87

Edit: Reason I ask.

General Erwin Rommel, in de facto field command of Axis forces in North Africa, recognized its importance quickly. In May 1941, he warned that "Without Malta the Axis will end by losing control of North Africa". Churchill had called Malta an "unsinkable aircraft carrier" and used it to disrupt Nazi and Italian shipping of troops and supplies to north Africa. In December 1942, air and sea forces operating from Malta went over to the offensive. By May 1943, they had sunk 230 Axis ships in 164 days, the highest Allied sinking rate of the war. The Allied victory in Malta played a major role in the eventual Allied success in North Africa.

Edited by Ayovan

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 1:12 AM, Ayovan said:

Question for the upcoming "Out of Africa" GB. Is Malta considered part of Africa?

Geologically it is, but politically Malta has traditionally been part of Europe.

I know it's a little ways off, but I want to build  one of Beurling's Spitfire from Malta, and was wondering if this would be considered for this build.

If not, I have a couple of Luftwaffe planes that would probably work. HE-111, and a JU-87

Edit: Reason I ask.

General Erwin Rommel, in de facto field command of Axis forces in North Africa, recognized its importance quickly. In May 1941, he warned that "Without Malta the Axis will end by losing control of North Africa". Churchill had called Malta an "unsinkable aircraft carrier" and used it to disrupt Nazi and Italian shipping of troops and supplies to north Africa. In December 1942, air and sea forces operating from Malta went over to the offensive. By May 1943, they had sunk 230 Axis ships in 164 days, the highest Allied sinking rate of the war. The Allied victory in Malta played a major role in the eventual Allied success in North Africa.

I'm going to have to so no as Malta is, I think, classed as part of Southern Europe. 

Actually I would suggest re-thinking that. Malta played a HUGE role for the British in the North African campaign.

Technically I agree it is part of the EU but back in the day it was a major player of the North African campaign,

From Wikipedia

The opening of a new front in North Africa in June 1940 increased Malta's already considerable value. British air and sea forces based on the island could attack Axis ships transporting vital supplies and reinforcements from Europe; Churchill called the island an "unsinkable aircraft carrier".[10] General Erwin Rommel, in de facto field command of Axis forces in North Africa, recognised its importance quickly. In May 1941, he warned that "Without Malta the Axis will end by losing control of North Africa".[1]