Beechcraft Starship

I ferried a helicopter from Torrance, Calif, to London, Ontario one year, 2008 or 9 i believe, and on the first day we stopped overnight in Marana (KAVQ) in Arizona. on approach in there i saw I believe 7 Beech Starship parked. First and only time I ever did see them. As a kid I was obsessed with it, and had all the Flying Magazine articles on it saved. Such a beautiful machine, incredibly sad it was cancelled. If you go on google maps perhaps they are still there? they were parked on the apron between runway thresholds for 30 and 21.

Just to add, if you go to these coords on Google maps/Sattelite view you can see 4 of them. also a Neptune and some A-4's and some 4 engine piston jobbies.

Real cool! The Starships are not in the same position I saw them in. Unfortunately I lost my pictures in a hard drive fiasco...

Marana
Arizona 85653, USA

32.411673, -111.224550

Neat!  I love the SS. On our tour of PIMA back during the 2018 US IPMS Nats, I discovered they had one there too, and took all sorts of close ups of it, as it was 110f out, but still got to get super close to it......just couldn't touch it or get burnt!

20180802_102238-XL.jpg

20180802_102400-XL.jpg

20180802_102430-XL.jpg

20180802_102440-XL.jpg

20180802_102431-XL.jpg

I "worked" with both the Starship and its counterpart the Piaggio P180 Avanti in ATC, and never understood why the Starship vanished from the GA scene......

and ....after googling the facts, i found out........it's a sad story.....

Edited by Jack

I was out on the airfield at Heathrow one day and an Avanti landed and taxied right past me.

Looked like something from way in the future and I fell in love instantly.

Never saw a Starship which was a shame as I find the designs of both these aircraft pretty amazing.

:)

I read somewhere that Beechcraft more than made up for the money they lost on the Starship program by applying what they learned working with composites. 

It’s a beautiful airplane. I had the chance to get a little stick time in one. It had a different “feel” from the King Air 200 I was flying at the time.

The Avanti is also a really cool airplane. It has a distinctive howl when it flies over. I’d hear one pretty regularly back before the pandemic.

Ben

On 10/23/2020 at 4:43 PM, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

I’m not sure if anyone will be interested in this, but I just discovered that my local aviation museum has a Starship!

Queensland Aviation Museum Beechcraft Starship

They have a great collection.

I'd have to check my stash of old photos but I think I have one of that Starship at a Mangalore airshow. In the mid 90's I think. They even had a MiG21 at that airshow.

Cheers Matty

We had one drop in for an overnight stay a month or so ago. The entire airport stopped to watch it land. 

It was a victim of its own success. Since it was the first of its type, the FAA didn't know how certify it. Rutan/beechcraft were told to add extra structure to the aicraft, which pushed its weight up, which then caused all the associated trickle down issues, which ended in making it completely uncompetitive in the market. A really pity :(

Almost 40 years old and she still looks like the future. 

IMG_20200819_232105_354

IMG_20200819_084911_634

IMG_20200819_084911_633

IMG_20200819_084911_632 IMG_20200819_232105_363

And finally, Yours Truly, getting in the way as always...

IMG_20200814_185346_732