Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

 

Way too expensive to get shipped out here, and the power supply would be wrong, unfortunately.

 

Kev

I could probably fabricate one out of Galvabond to size Kev.  Even use nutserts instead of rivets to keep it all together.  The base that the Tigercat is similar to what they inset into door or wall panels for ventilation of cavities. The only thing would be a fan. It'd be easy enough to hook up a $20 ceiling fan to a power cord. Only it'd be as noisy as a ceiling fan.  PC fans any good or just as noisy?

 

Cheers Matty

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LSP_Matt said:

I could probably fabricate one out of Galvabond to size Kev.  Even use nutserts instead of rivets to keep it all together.  The base that the Tigercat is similar to what they inset into door or wall panels for ventilation of cavities. The only thing would be a fan. It'd be easy enough to hook up a $20 ceiling fan to a power cord. Only it'd be as noisy as a ceiling fan.  PC fans any good or just as noisy?

 

Cheers Matty

 

To do it properly you need a squirrel cage fan or something that is brushless and then compute the CFM needed based on the type and length of ducting.  Most people don't use even remotely near enough CFMs to adequately vent out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LSP_Matt said:

PC fans any good or just as noisy?

 

Cheers Matty

 

On my new PC, I use both Corsair AF120 and SP120 fans, with both types pushing 52CFM per, which is fine for a PC, but rather pathetic for a paint fume extraction system. Both fans are relatively quiet though, even when running wide open, which they seldom (if ever) do. For my "still to be built" paint booth, I'll be running dual Dayton squirrel cage blowers, both rated 265CFM @ zero static pressure. By the time I throw in roughly an 8' run of 4" duct and two (possibly three) 90° elbows, there will certainly be some drop, naturally, but I'm guessing (never ran the calculations,... yet) that I'll still be pushing 450-475CFM, which is quite respectable. Paint booth itself (36"x24"x24"), will also have a built in plenum and slot for a 1"x16"x20" furnace filter, HEPA style. With the assumed dimensions of the booth (12 Cu Ft), and arbitrarily assuming 450CFM, I'll completely evacuate the entire volume of the booth, roughly 37.5 times per minute.

 

9qmeoc.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nichenson said:

 

To do it properly you need a squirrel cage fan or something that is brushless and then compute the CFM needed based on the type and length of ducting.  Most people don't use even remotely near enough CFMs to adequately vent out.

Do you reckon a couple of Arlec exhaust fans at 350cmh (206cfm) each would do the job?

 


6M of 150mm ducting OK for VOC's is about $20

150mm flange adaptor $25

150mm Joiner $20
Galvabond ( galvanised sheet steel) 19 or 20 gauge is about $90 a sheet (1220 x 2440) IIRC

A hinged eggcrate grille with filter varies in cost but can come in nice sizes 1195 x 595

LED strip lights from Ebay - easy peasey

Sheet of perspex for clear top.

Foam dust seals

 

Venting the exhaust is an issue. To outside is ideal. A panel for a window sounds the least invasive and simplest.

 

Could be a good project. Space limitations might be an issue.

 

Cheers Matty

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LSP_Matt said:

Venting the exhaust is an issue. To outside is ideal. A panel for a window sounds the least invasive and simplest.

 

Cheers Matty

 

I'll be tying directly into the dryer duct exhaust, at the existing window exit, and will also incorporate back-draft dampers, which I've been wanting to add to the dryer duct anyway. Everything will also be tightly wrapped with aluminum duct sealant tape and zip-ties.

Link to post
Share on other sites

spray booths are like optics in that there are cheap 'hobby' solutions which are ultimately pretty crap, and then there are 'pro' solutions which are so expensive that most of us turn away

 

you get what you pay for* but frustratingly there doesn't seem to be much in the middle

 

*building your own is the only way out of this conundrum

 

and yep, i still have the cheap $100 version ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LSP_Matt said:

Do you reckon a couple of Arlec exhaust fans at 350cmh (206cfm) each would do the job?

 


6M of 150mm ducting OK for VOC's is about $20

150mm flange adaptor $25

150mm Joiner $20
Galvabond ( galvanised sheet steel) 19 or 20 gauge is about $90 a sheet (1220 x 2440) IIRC

A hinged eggcrate grille with filter varies in cost but can come in nice sizes 1195 x 595

LED strip lights from Ebay - easy peasey

Sheet of perspex for clear top.

Foam dust seals

 

Venting the exhaust is an issue. To outside is ideal. A panel for a window sounds the least invasive and simplest.

 

Could be a good project. Space limitations might be an issue.

 

Cheers Matty

 

 

 

There is an article from years ago about how to do all the math.  Let me see if I can find it later. 

 

Biggest tricks are to use solid wall ducting and use as few 90 degree turns as possible.  As mentioned above you can also use in-duct fans to assist.  If you can run 6 inch ducting, that would ideal.  If not, go as big as you can.  Anything vented directly inside is a big no-no.  Doesn't matter what type of paint as you can still get particulates in your lung.  The only methods to really reduce those are the water (bong) style filters or properly fitted N95s.

 

It is doable depending on how you much you want to put in.  Me personally, I opted for a Pace Hobbies Peacekeeper and will be adding an addition fan as it goes put into the attic and into a vent through the eave. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used this one with no problems.  Will hold all 1/32 fighters and the Do 335, much larger and you need to paint in segments.   Comes with fan and filter and I use a standard drier hose for exhaust 

 

Paasche HSSB-22-16 Hobby Spray Booth

 

https://www.midwestairbrush.com/pahospbo.html

Edited by Paul2660
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Absolute love my Artogtaph 1530 and have for years and years.

I can even remove the cover and hang a REALLY large LSP above it (like the ginormous SU-30MKK). It also comes with a replaceable 3 stage filter system as well:

 

31TAQqHpscL._AC_SY400_.jpg

 

https://www.madisonartshop.com/artograph-spray-booth.html


I have my eye on this one for a while now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...