1/32 WNW Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin

aircare84

Finished my Wingnut Wings Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin in the markings of 79 Sqn. from Mar. 1918. It was the first recorded Dolphin lost to enemy action, possibly the 11th victory of Jasta 5 ace, Ltn. Fritz Rumey. I added Pheon decals for the 'C' & 'C3905', added Taurus spark plugs to the outer cylinder banks and added rigging. All else is OOB. I had problems with the kit roundel decals, will paint next time. Had to paint the fin flash for the same reason. Painted with MRP PC 10 late on top, Xtracolor Ocean grey & Xtracolor RFC Doped Natural Fabric on bottom. Post shaded the ribs & formers. Weathered lightly with pastels. My first WW1 British build, still have to tweak the shading effects. Lots of photos, hope you like.0Fba5yv.jpg

670AISb.jpg

YS5KjX7.jpg

jkt84MJ.jpg

0HVat8Q.jpg

WhZILKM.jpg

0woLn1S.jpg

PCKjR8q.jpg

4hBS3jM.jpg

FLEAsxO.jpg

CMZ8sUm.jpg

On 10/18/2020 at 4:57 PM, AlbertD said:

That looks great. Did you have trouble with the decals? Mine were terrible and would not lay down at all. I also had trouble fitting the cowl. Otherwise it's a great kit.

Thanks for the comment.

The wing roundels cracked & had to be touched up. The fin flash tore & I had to paint instead. The smaller decals worked well.

Had to do a little trimming on the upper engine cowl to get to fit tight as well.

1 hour ago, aircare84 said:

Thanks for the comment.

The wing roundels cracked & had to be touched up. The fin flash tore & I had to paint instead. The smaller decals worked well.

Had to do a little trimming on the upper engine cowl to get to fit tight as well.

Sounds like you had exactly the same issues I did. WnW offered me a new set of decals but I went ahead and fixed the issues like you did. They said they had one batch that were bad but had corrected it. If I run into the same problems with another of their kits I'll just go ahead and paint the roundels and whatever else I can.