Kitty Hawk Mirage 2000C

Cheetah11

hi Nick

do you remember what I told you about the windscreen -_- I am kidding of course :rolleyes: , but for my part I always glue these parts first before painting :D

BTW I have a doubt ; what's the color of the inside canopy , black , or grey ... I think it's grey like the cockpit color , but I didn't find any convincing photos  

Alain

18 minutes ago, alain11 said:

hi Nick

do you remember what I told you about the windscreen -_- I am kidding of course :rolleyes: , but for my part I always glue these parts first before painting :D

BTW I have a doubt ; what's the color of the inside canopy , black , or grey ... I think it's grey like the cockpit color , but I didn't find any convincing photos  

Alain

Hi Alain

Yes It was a risk to only glue the windshield at this stage but I think it will work.

I looked at a photo of  a Mirage 2000B of the same era and the canopy is grey on the inside and the windshield black on the inside, so that is what I went with. I think the Mirage 2000-5 might be black inside the canopy as well.

A1E88EF8-473A-407C-969C-A0B84A02726E.jpg

Cheers

Nick

thank you mate , that's what I thought .....and did !!! 

I've read somewhere that the -5 cockpit is painted black , due to the night vision goggles use !!??

well I think there are some more little stuffs to glue , and you are ready for inspection ...aren't you ??

Alain

I just browsed the " super base " book ,  ....... page 48 ..the inside of the canopy is  grey :doh:

Edited by alain11
add comments

• 2 weeks later...

Almost finished. 

I still need to make a rear view mirror on the canopy and add  two more sensors. I also need to find a pilot. Reedoak makes French pilots but they are of a later era and the helmet type is wrong for the mid eighties. I will see what I can come up with before posting in RFI section.

The light is a bit low the past day or two, I will maybe post a few more clear photos tomorrow. 

78-DC5657-202-E-49-DD-B5-F5-FE2054687-FC

14-B73-B93-163-E-478-C-91-B5-DD281-B56-B

1-A0865-E3-91-D3-42-E7-9-DBC-F68135123-F

BA58-AB21-5221-4-F5-B-AB5-A-DF1790-B2-A5

Cheers

Nick

That is becoming a cool model, nice work. 

I am thinking to buy one of these but cannot be sure given it's a Kitty Hawk. Still inclined to be tempted, after all it's the only one in that scale. Yours looks good and I've seen other good looking finished models, so how would you rate it?

6 hours ago, IvanVasili said:

That is becoming a cool model, nice work. 

I am thinking to buy one of these but cannot be sure given it's a Kitty Hawk. Still inclined to be tempted, after all it's the only one in that scale. Yours looks good and I've seen other good looking finished models, so how would you rate it?

Hi Ivan

The kit is not bad. It is just a bit frustrating to build.

The fit is generally great and the surface detail some of the best I have seen.  If you use an aftermarket seat and the Reskit nozzle most of the shortcomings are addressed.

The incorrect cockpit length and long drop tank is not too obvious. I would also recommend using aftermarket decals.

The great frustration in the build is the lack of information on the various sub types and the panels which are all designed to be open. To get a typical aircraft on the ramp which I wanted to model, I had to close them. The slats are also always closed on the ground, so a little tweaking on the fit to close them nicely. This all involved a bit of fitting and sanding to get a good fit but nothing excessive.

You will need to do research on the configuration of the antennas, weapons and cockpit of the specific model you want to do, but that is part of the fun for me.

One word of warning on the plastic used by KH. I used lacquer thinners for my paints and this seem to react with the specific type of plastic. I would recommend acrylic or at least a good primer coat before painting (and a test paint on some of the unused parts).

BTW I really enjoyed the one day I could spend in your beautiful city.

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick

beautiful Mirage ,perfectly done ,  the colors look good , and I like the NM belly tank !!!!!.You have fixed the issues without AF stuffs , and cherry on the cake , you had the boldness to cut the fuselage .. hat off !!! ( I didn't :wacko: )....As you said , it's a bit frustrating kit to build , but , I think it's a good kit after all !!!! ..

.I think you have no option than the  PJ production pilote , but in the seating position ,( E bay )

Alain

oh !! the inspector Clouseau leads the instigations !!!!!:ninja:

11 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Ivan

The kit is not bad. It is just a bit frustrating to build.

The fit is generally great and the surface detail some of the best I have seen.  If you use an aftermarket seat and the Reskit nozzle most of the shortcomings are addressed.

The incorrect cockpit length and long drop tank is not too obvious. I would also recommend using aftermarket decals.

The great frustration in the build is the lack of information on the various sub types and the panels which are all designed to be open. To get a typical aircraft on the ramp which I wanted to model, I had to close them. The slats are also always closed on the ground, so a little tweaking on the fit to close them nicely. This all involved a bit of fitting and sanding to get a good fit but nothing excessive.

You will need to do research on the configuration of the antennas, weapons and cockpit of the specific model you want to do, but that is part of the fun for me.

One word of warning on the plastic used by KH. I used lacquer thinners for my paints and this seem to react with the specific type of plastic. I would recommend acrylic or at least a good primer coat before painting (and a test paint on some of the unused parts).

BTW I really enjoyed the one day I could spend in your beautiful city.

Cheers

Nick

Thank you for the detailed information on the kit Cheetah11, much appreciated. I will now definitely go for one and build. I'm following yours with great interest.

You absolutely need more than a week to enjoy St.Petersburg, so I hope you'll find the opportunity again :)

Cheers,

Ivan

Edited by IvanVasili

One more small detail. The Mirage 2000 missile launchers have a unique safety. The flap is open and pinned when a live missile is present. Once the aircraft is ready the pins are pulled but the launcher is still safe. Only at a certain speed the dynamic air pressure closes the flap and the launcher and missile are fully armed. 

B2B60549-3011-4506-8264-B7837BFAE9C5.jpg

To paint the flap I had to stretch the Silhouette cutter to the limit but it performed flawlessly.

112D7FB3-CB8F-44BC-BDC6-BE382057A378.jpg

The results

7ADFB462-9293-424E-9AC7-812D61579808.jpg

4D70BA07-29F3-489C-9D0B-1A4D195E4409.jpg

We have had a week of low cloud making photography difficult, so I will post the completed model hopefully early next week.

Nick

On 3/25/2021 at 11:42 PM, alain11 said:

tiny details Nick , that make the difference !!!!:thumbsup: well done !!!!!! I didn't noticed it :doh:... Btw , which color did you used for the missile launchers ??? ,I can't determine , if it's grey / green , or so :hmmm:

Alain

Hi Alain

Thanks for the compliments.

On the pylons and missile launchers I used a mix of Grey, Brown and Silver to try and replicate the different anodized alloys (not as successful as I has hoped for) . I think at a later stage these pylons and launchers were painted in the same color as the aircraft.

Cheers

Nick