Kitty Hawk Mirage 2000C

Cheetah11

17 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Are the belts made out of tape, or is that epoxy putty?  They look excellent and very natural.

Hi Matt

I have always used lead foil but with my supply almost finished I decided to use a new technique described in another modelling article. I made a sandwich of masking tape and thin aluminium foil. Tamiya for a smooth texture and regular tape for a slightly rough texture. The thicknesses can also be adjusted by using more layers and it keeps the folding put into the belts. Aluminium foil on the top of coffee tin seem to be the best in terms of thickness.

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

Hi Nick,

That's an excellent technique, combining the aluminium foil for ease of shaping the harnesses, and the masking tape for texture. I'll definitely try it out. The textured cushioning you added also turned out quite nicely.

The Mirage 2000 would've been a lovely aircraft in the SAAF arsenal, had they been selected in 1995... One can only dream. I might just be tempted to one day build a what-if, or even the aircraft that was performing at the airshow.

Cheers,

John

Edited by Renegade
Missing text

7 minutes ago, Madmax said:

Have you seen this Nick? Although the French Mirage 2000's are beautiful, the Greek Mirages have a mean bite...

Excellent Sean :thumbsup: (and definitely on my 'to do' list of HAF aircraft!

Derek

I have one of these and think this thread is becoming a benchmark build for this kit. I can't unsee that 6mm you've removed from the windscreen area now!

Quick question is the fact the kit doesn't have full lenght intakes noticable?

Cheers,

Mark

7 hours ago, Mark Maclean said:

I have one of these and think this thread is becoming a benchmark build for this kit. I can't unsee that 6mm you've removed from the windscreen area now!

Quick question is the fact the kit doesn't have full lenght intakes noticable?

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the compliment Mark. The Mirage intakes are small compared to some other aircraft. Unless you shine a penlight inside it is not noticeable at all.

Here is the seat for a test fit  in the cockpit. The seat still needs a few decals tonight.

65312438-1BA7-4D98-9630-29DB99FBDA94.jpg

8A37C83D-E31F-4B9D-8CF6-F3207692B9FA.jpg

Cheers

Nick

The windscreen finally glued on. As I feared a small gap was present. Not ideal for all filling, in this case Perfect Plastic Putty lived up to it’s name.

4-D809-A93-A659-4-DA8-97-A7-6-ACBE9445-D

I incorrectly assumed the code 2-LH was assigned to a specific aircraft for the duration of its life on a squadron. The Berna decals have it on no 23 but the time frame I am modelling it was on Mirage 2000C no 6. Fortunately the Italeri Mirage III has a number which is close.

C98384DE-43E9-4D3B-8CB0-4670CF537980.jpg

Cheers

Nick