Kitty Hawk Mirage 2000C

Cheetah11

Hi Nick - nice work :thumbsup:

I understand about your modelling 'allowance'...I also suffer similar constraints! lol :lol:

There are indeed many good images available on the internet (thankfully). For the Mirage blue colour on my (1/72) kit, I am using Humbrol 144 intermediate Blue enamel, as it is close to the faded Mirage blue colour (looks more blue in some lighting, but more grey in others - perfect for my needs).

Cheers

Derek

Hi Nick

looks good to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: ...A lot of things have been said about the Mi 2000 colors , and everyone has his own idea, but in the end , it's a matter of taste , and how your eye perceives  colors ( doesn't it ,)  :hmmm:.... too light ?? bluer ??? or .... blue / grey ??? .. Do you want another point of view ???? ...Happy modelllling :rolleyes:

Alain

if we consider that French , and Greek Mi 2000 has the same colors :coolio:  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.liakis.com%2Fgreekmiragecolors.php&psig=AOvVaw1LydQk7OTO_HJ2tfy9Yflm&ust=1611246202441000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CM0BEK-JA2oXChMI0O6x_vWq7gIVAAAAAB0AAAAAEAk

Thanks for all the compliments and interest gents.

Just a small update. The Xtra Color did not work for me .  There seem to be a bit of green in the shade so I had to mix my own version. This is a representative picture I went with.  This color seem to change with every photo.

25292349-4B0E-4238-8FC4-BECEA2B6AD3A.jpg

A small setback. The light Grey on the fuselage did not dry completely and remains tacky. Strangely this is only on the spine of the model. It is better today but I will give it a day or two before painting the rest of the fuselage and wings with the Blue-Grey. I airbrushed the front section of the fuselage to get a feel for the color on the model.

BE66-E6-B7-29-B5-450-B-90-F2-540-D8-BD5-

Cheers

Nick

looking Good Nick.

The colour of these Mirage are always a challenge :)

When I do my C, I will probably try the greek MRP references: Celomer 356 & 357

They are referenced as Greek, but since greek use the french colours, I rather think MRP should have named them french :)

Celomer is a french reference standards anyway

It is impossible to really make a color selection premised on print media or on the web. The best way is to get the actual color chip and then (some may disagree) "scale it" to 1/32 etc. 

Red Dog is onto the right colors I bet...I also have the MRP colors on hand and will use those.

The Mirage 2000C I am modeling is one at Dijon at around 1988. Fortunately I have the book Superbase 19 Dijon by John Blackman which details the Mirages on the base at around the time . The cammo pattern at the time was sprayed on and small variation can be seen between aircraft. There is also a fairly large feather between the colors. 

The only way to model this realistically is to airbrush freehand, hopefully depicting the real painting process in miniature. So time to clean my Iwata HP-B with a .2mm needle and start to spray.

Main colors on. Quite a few touch ups still to to.

2F22B59B-92ED-44E2-8C66-B6815497DD00.jpg

E5D3C032-05B9-4E02-A5D8-9A68FC72E30F.jpg

Cheers

Nick

A bit of cutter magic.

I used almost half a bottle of softener on the walkways of the Italeri Mirage III ( and those are Cartograf decals) so this time I decided to see if the Silhouette cutter can cut them. I also post shaded the model a tiny bit.

3316E3FD-8C6B-4406-AB0D-A9559F1E9E37.jpg

32E815E8-C90B-4585-B291-CD2571CD0215.jpg

If you need the file just PM me.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I started to add decals to the model.  Alain kindly sent me the options on the Berna Decals that he is not using. This enabled me to do a cold war jet of around 1988 at Dijon. The Super Base book on Dijon has a few good photos of the time period. Before digital cameras the amount of reference photos of the Mirage 2000 is a little scarce and the book fortunately provide ample reference. Thanks again Alain :clap2:

Some more work for the Silhouette. Some of the decals from the kit have a lot of carrier film, in particular the  hoist attachment  circles. These are also very poorly defined on the instructions :BANGHEAD2:. I used the front page of the ' Mirage 2000 under the skin' to position them.  Once I realized what they were for it was easy to position as the  hoist points are nicely engraved on the wing.

BAC17-C38-2135-452-B-A69-F-708694-F0-A9-

Masked and painted

A15E797C-329A-4A8A-9CB7-4B7324E73A8A.jpg

And done

62420991-52F3-4261-A08B-D00ADA6CA060.jpg

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11