Kitty Hawk Mirage 2000C

Cheetah11

hi Nick

these " twisted cables " look very convincing , I wish I could get such result myself ...good job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just for kidding :In France we have a verbal expression that says :" appelons un chat , un chat ." that mean :" let's call things by their name " ..so I took my dictionary ( not Google translation :)) , I 'looked for the  word " gaine " ( in French) and I found the word sheath  ( damned I didn't know this word :doh:) so , I rather say : " your flexible sheaths are very convincing !!!" .. is that the right word ????? ......I realize that I have to improve my English :D

Alain

Hi Alain

12 hours ago, alain11 said:

hi Nick

these " twisted cables " look very convincing , I wish I could get such result myself ...good job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just for kidding :In France we have a verbal expression that says :" appelons un chat , un chat ." that mean :" let's call things by their name " ..so I took my dictionary ( not Google translation :)) , I 'looked for the  word " gaine " ( in French) and I found the word sheath  ( damned I didn't know this word :doh:) so , I rather say : " your flexible sheaths are very convincing !!!" .. is that the right word ????? ......I realize that I have to improve my English :D

Alain

I think the right word to use in English is "flexible conduit". Maybe one of our English first language members can comment. In the mean time sheath look good to me.:D

19 hours ago, viperfixer said:

Looking great and very realistic :clap2: I didn't know about the wheel speed sensor in the nose gear, the planes I know only have sensors that measure the speed of the main wheels, interesting to know, thanks!

Hi Viperfixer,

Most aircraft measure the main wheel speed for an anti-skid function where brake pressure is released or reduced when rotation stops. 

The SPAD (Systeme Perfectionne Anti-Derapant) works differently in that it is an optimum braking system as well.

The nose wheel speed is continuously measured after touchdown and the main wheels are braked to a speed of 70% of that of the nose wheel. The 30 % slip provides the theoretical max co-efficient of friction between rubber and tar. Theoretically it is impossible to stop in a shorter distance.

Dassault fighters from the G8 and F1 onwards have this system fitted.

Cheers

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 11:11 PM, Biggles87 said:

Just had a big catch-up, I didn't realise how behind I had got.

You're attention to detail is fantastic, the nose wheel leg is a work of art.

John 

Thanks for the compliment John.

The last two weeks have been frustrating. Only a little time at the bench and it seems like two steps back for every one forward.

I did manage to do some stuff. I made resin copies of the AB nozzle and wheels. The wheels I want to use on a different project.

The cockpit sidewalls were changed slightly. As the Mir 2000 progressed thru updates the cockpit layout changed quite e bit and the big difficulty was to find photos of the config in the late eighties, which is the period of the aircraft I am modeling. Eventually I went with this. 

4E2E2B18-B95A-48D0-822C-9972AD600E23.jpg

The windscreen and canopy have a small seam to remove. On the positive side of this kit it is the smallest of seams and can be left as it is hardly visible. I removed it as I had to add a new frame and cockpit seal to the windshield anyway.

F7C48373-5E59-46D7-89D9-5E9B2034424D.jpg

Alain send me the dimensions of the ladder and I changed the config slightly to be more representative of the earlier ladders. Thanks Alain:clap2:

689EB537-6624-4123-B5E8-6C74ACA2E8B7.jpg

Lastly the wheels were modified slightly by enlarging and rounding the edges of the cooling holes.

E2D80CE2-E058-4E90-82CA-E845E3F673E7.jpg

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

I managed a bit of building on the Mirage this week. I tried to work on too many models at once as slowed the progress on this one but at least the cockpit basics are done. Only one or two small items like the throttle to add. The main gear legs are also done.

6573D433-E123-45AB-843D-4B5C32C55FD1.jpg

45040034-3621-47D1-B035-04381FE8CEB3.jpg

Now onto the ejection seat. The Paragon seat I have left from an old F-18 is too large and another(forgot the brand but I think it is a CAM seat) has the wrong harness and is too wide. So this week I will have to work on the kit seat.

Cheers

Nick

17 hours ago, shark64 said:

Doesn't Reeoak make a ladder for the Mirage 2000?

Hi Shark64 

Yes they do. Unfortunately all my aftermarket orders keep on disappearing into the black hole of  the most corrupt postal system in the world. So only solution is to do scratch building.

Cheers

Nick

Almost at the point of closing the fuselage. Then things will speed up a bit.

Started the cockpit painting. A bit of a dilemma here as the Dassault cockpit instruments are mostly dark colored. The aftermarket instruments do not reflect this well and are way too expensive for an semi realistic 2-dimensional representation. 

After much thought I decided on dry brushing some dull silver and toned down white. 

Tonight I will do the instruments and knobs which are colored and try and do the instruments on the IP with some instrument decals.

F8673C72-9E64-4904-91D8-88645138622C.jpg

F1C3536D-F84E-4877-A0AD-0C3908983613.jpg

Cheers

Nick 

Thanks for the compliment Matt. The South African Postal system I am ashamed to say.

The IP and cockpit finished. I used two Airscale instruments and the rest from the Italeri 1/32 Mirage kit. ( Hint for Airscale to produce French instruments in 1/32)

Only piece to scratch build now is the throttle which KH has mysteriously forgotten to add to the kit.

8D294FE4-050C-4396-8ADC-297C431F1C31.jpg

8E206967-7A44-480E-9B51-1553A7416F8D.jpg

Cheers

Nick

Back at work with a bang so much less time for modeling. I did a few touch ups on the cockpit after seeing them on the posted photos.:lol:

The last piece of the cockpit puzzle and one forgotten by KH. The Throttle. (Or thrust lever if you fly airliners :lol:)

9539059F-2B4F-4052-AA86-786C4A92AF94.jpg

Another small milestone. The fuselage closed. All my tinkering on the fuselage distorted it slightly so some filling, sanding and scribing needed in the next week.

CF53B861-19CE-4F10-83EF-61BF9B6FBB37.jpg

E65E1073-0E9C-4EEA-8B00-15B7B3B7B8D8.jpg

Finally I taped all the large components together to see if there are more surprises with the fit.

AB62EDCE-E7C6-446B-B783-C31F96C40032.jpg

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

Hi Nick

good to see some updates !!! that looks like a mirage now .. doesn't it ??!!:rolleyes: .. If I am right , it seems that you forgot the two clear parts just behind the cockpit ( GP 12 /13 ) , the protective glasses of the canopy release handle :hmmm:or maybe you chose another way !!??  

I don't want to be an adviser ,............from my seat ......  it seems that your throttle looks like the 2000 - 5 one , the C throttle looks like a "simple L shape ...stuff 

Alain

numzor11.jpg