Kitty Hawk Mirage 2000C

Cheetah11

A little more fixing to do before painting. As I said earlier I want all the fixes out of the way before painting and assembly.

I fixed the length of the drop tank tanks to the info Romain provided. I will post it tomorrow after the filler has dried.

The gun bays are also designed to be open and the doors will not fit flush with the bays installed. I simply removed them to get the doors flush and added a piece of tubing to later fit the gun barrel.

AB05F115-A171-4281-AE1A-F99ECEA2D9F4.jpg

The engine mount and engine are secured with super thin location pegs. I was afraid with my clumsiness I will battle to get them to fit. I  replaced them with a piece of brass rod through the engine and 3mm plastic card on the fuselage sides.

6E5F776B-A2E3-4CF1-B26F-98D2F7F2EF01.jpg

0C3129F6-3DED-446B-A8F0-579888765689.jpg

Now for the biggest fix. 

The resin AB nozzle is undersized. I think KH realized this and instead of printing a new master, they added a ring to the nozzle to get it flush with the fuselage. This leads to a step which is not present on the real aircraft. Because of the nature of the resin nozzle, it will be almost impossible to enlarge it.

There are a few options.

1. Best one to get the Resikit nozzle if the fit is better. 

2. Ignore the problem.

3. Size the fuselage to fit the nozzle.

Option 3 is the only viable one for me, so here goes.

The step if no adjustment is made.

8-A5-E20-BE-AD5-A-4958-B588-91-CD4-CF682

Bottom cut by sanding a wedge out of both sides

A67-E0558-2-BE0-4-A75-95-E9-5-E1-E8-C6-D

Two small cuts on the side of the fuselage completed the cutting.

E1527468-B23-F-4746-9-F30-CED72204-D341.

And the corrected nozzle.

DCB4-B19-D-7-FFF-4-EAC-9-AB7-62-B785-E69

Now almost ready for a normal build and painting

Cheers

Nick

Thanks for the comments guys.

Marcel you mentioned that you had the kit and the Resikit nozzle. Maybe you can give us an idea of the fit.

I promised pictures of the corrected tank.

FD6B8724-BFD6-4597-BF43-93FE39E3E8CF.jpg

As you can see not a big issue but one I wanted to address. The nose and tail was also rounded a bit more in line with photos.

The pylon needed to be shortened to now fit the shortened tank.

A good thing I did the tank now as I sprayed some Tamiya primer on it after the adjustment and filling. I thinned it with Lacquer thinner and the finish on some parts went dull. The plastic was affected by the thinner! The last time I saw this was in 1974 when I tried to paint my 1/24 Bandai P-51 Mustang silver with a Duco can.

I sanded the tank again and primed it with some Acrilic which I had in my paint collection and it was fine after that. If you use Lacquer thinners for paint I suggest a test on some of the unused stores before using on on the model.

Well if it is not the one thing it is the other.

I looked at the pitot tube and it seemed a bit large compared to the other Mirage models.

I took a picture on the Ipad of a Mir 2000C from side on and sized it to the scale if the nose cone. The kit pitot probe seems way too large. A new pitot was turned from brass in the Dremel. I compromised a bit on the center section for a bit more strength. The picture will hopefully explain.

C9ED15A2-21D2-48A3-AA44-2F965FD98977.jpg

I also found this explanation of the slat operation in a Mirage 2000 simulator manual while looking for some 1300 l tanks details. This should explain the position during different phases of flight.

332BDEF3-692F-48D3-B779-E32A606BAA16.png

Cheers

Nick

hi Nick

I did a dry test fit of the nozzle , I have the same issue  , the fuselage is a little bit too big than the resin nozzle . before  cutting the fuselage as you did , I think I will go to the reskit set . I don't know if the fit will be better , but I know , that the details are "sharp" ..... in fact , I think that most of the modelers have chosen the second option .... ignore the problem :unsure: B) 

I am stunned that the guys from KH could have made such mistake on the tank . I don't want to question Romain's word ( he is a meticulous modeler ) , I haven't the answer , but nobody , mentioned this issue ( or I missed something :hmmm: ) ....8 mm ??????!!!!!, or 25,6 cm ! what a mistake:doh: ..well in any case , good job !!!!!!!  :thumbsup: 

Alain

BTW : are you still looking for an ASMP missile ...........

I got the " Superbase " book today ... nice pictures !!!!!

Biggles you are most welcome to tag along. 

Thanks for all the interest guys.

I have not done much more over the weekend. The project should pick up the pace once the cockpit is done. I have not started the cockpit for the lack of references behind the ejection seat. I will try and do some detailing on the cockpit. I know Ettienne is doing a Mir 2000-5 cockpit but there are some differences from the Mir 2000C that I intend to do. 

Speaking of the ejection seat, I have decided to to with the kit seat. I still have an old Paragon resin seat for a F/A-18 which I considered using but although many aircraft use the Mk10 seat, there are detail differences in the harness and headrest shape.

In the mean time I used small discs to fill the flare dispensers in the rear fuselage. They are not present for the time period I am modeling.

E9DBCBEC-6B61-441A-9BF8-4340E4EC79D3.jpg

I also made the inspection light above the left intake. I used a piece of chrome tape and a plastic card box which was fitted behind the glass. Duting final painting I will use a cut mask to do the shape of the glass accurately.

E7160969-E2F8-4D27-A8AD-6A3847C93E14.jpg

A74641F4-8F42-43F5-B406-AFD6B8A8ACD4.jpg

When I shortened the tank and pylon I was not quite sure if they need to move forward or rearwards on the model after the adjustments.

Fortunately they were good but I noticed something else. I used a photo of a Greek M 2000-5 and sized the image on the computer screen. Everything checked out but I noticed the radome was about 10mm shorter (320mm on the actual aircraft) Looking at images it appears the Greek and Taiwanese dash5 aircraft have the shorter radome. Can anyone shed any light on this or confirm it. I am doing a M2000C so it will not affect my model but it will be nice to know.

E17C4D7D-355D-4A6E-861C-760AA048A350.jpg

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

Hi

single seaters have the same lenght.

But KH model is 6mm too long in the front area, approximatelly near the canopy or windshield area. So hard to correct.

In fact, kh based their both twin and single seaters models on the scan of a Mirage 2000B twin seater which is longer than single seater.

As for the KAsl nose, not convinced it is worthy...

cheers

Romain

Thanks for the heads up Romain

10 hours ago, ROM said:

Hi

single seaters have the same lenght.

But KH model is 6mm too long in the front area, approximatelly near the canopy or windshield area. So hard to correct.

In fact, kh based their both twin and single seaters models on the scan of a Mirage 2000B twin seater which is longer than single seater.

As for the KAsl nose, not convinced it is worthy...

cheers

Romain

This seems to be the most viable cut but it changes the geometry of the cockpit and IP position. I will still decide if it is worth it. Thankfully the rest of the fuselage seems to be in proportion.  I had a look at the 1/48 kits I have and Esci and Heller got it right all those years ago, so no excuse.:BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2:

678270E7-3C5F-47D4-B98B-80FBE4E5FC46.jpg

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

1 hour ago, alain11 said:

hi Nick

what ???? another cut ???!!! . This one seems to be .. tricky ( I know , cuts , always scare me :innocent:) I guess you know the advise : think twice , cut once  :mental:....

Alain

Done and dusted or should I say cut and pasted Alain. Thanks to Romain for picking this and the tank discrepancy up.

E0-ED29-B4-99-A5-4-D03-80-C8-E758-B07488

It looks much better and the hud is now correct relative to the canopy frame.

Now that it is seen it cannot be made unseen unfortunately.

The question now is how is the cockpit affected as the IP will move 6mm back as well. I will see over the weekend what needs to be done.

It now looks like this.

837C2152-7966-45FD-835B-67CA9E4DA93E.jpg

C6CEB732-1ECD-497D-BE79-44079B65DB42.jpg

Cheers 

Nick