1/18 Hawker Fury

airscale

Peter

Im reminded of the the times when I was a young boy. Id visit my local LHS and stand in awe of the models on display and wonder how these things could exist. Surely those who built them were of a different sort. I could only hope for the skill and talent needed to create such things.

I get that same sense of wonder when I look at your work..the same sense of awe. 

The skill, tenacity, and creativity you repeatedly demonstraight is surely made of that righteous stuff possessed by only a certain few.

Im glad your here with us...

Best

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again everyone :)

as I always say - thank you so much for all the kind things you say - I just like doing my thing and it is very humbling to read the comments left here :blush:

I cracked on with the upper wing - same format as the lower wing in using very thin plastic card, embossed with a ballpoint to simulate the ribs / catenary and then carefully using impact adhesive to fix the skins to the wing structure..

..the tips were again a problem as the plastic doesn't like the compound curves, but I think I sorted it out in the end..

..by the time I took this pic, both wings and the middle section were skinned, primed and sorted. I made the whole wing so I could cut the ailerons out and they would conform properly - here I am using a printed part of my wing plan to match the aileron to the mini forward spar underneath the skin..

gESaAh.jpg

..the ailerons were cut out with sharp blades, mini saw blade and a few cuts with a slitting disc..  the profile is different on the top to the bottom, but I had no drawings so all I knew was the outlines..

hyyvZ8.jpg

..with the ailerons removed some of the structural details can be added - there are two teardrop shaped recessed into the wing that make space for big balance weights sticking out of the front of the ailerons - these were made by plunge moulding the recesses and letting them into the bottom wing skin...

..here insulating tape is used to protect the embossed rib detail while I fill and fair in the recesses..

Poc5UJ.jpg

..once the structural bits were done it was time for rib tapes, many, many rib tapes..

waW5YZ.jpg

..as before, the tapes and any linen patches are made from decal film - there is a lot of it...

..the circular hole on the lower surfaces is where there is a disc shaped bellcrank to control the aileron

ZtM83e.jpg

..with everything done, it was time for paint - alclad white aluminium..

r7wyiw.jpg

..the rib tapes are quite subtle and I think worth the hours of work..

2Olasc.jpg

6fgPJT.jpg

..another look at the underside and the details..

uTlMAh.jpg

..the ailerons were also completed - an interesting detail top right is a small glass inspection window which seems to have a white notice with red writing inside it - made that using an airscale decal :)

..the internal shape where it meets the wing will be all wrong, but this can't be seen so it is what it is..

5zqYNI.jpg

..complete topside - the gaps between the sections is fine - in fact I would say mine is tighter than the real one :)

coIuW5.jpg

..and the underside..

Z5zWjB.jpg

..probably get all the markings on the wing topside next.. I am NOT looking forward to that...

TTFN

Peter

Stunning!!!! The rib taping was definitely worth the work!!!! My decals just turned up the other day for doing this too, so hopefully mine work out just as good as yours!

As always, even though each post you do is spectacular, it belies the enormous amount of work that goes into creating each part!

Can't wait for the next one!

Craig

thanks chaps :)

just a quick one to say wing painting is done without issue thank goodness

used radu's masks for the roundels and then started to lay out the top wing squadron marks - i also had some round blanks to cover the roundels in the masks I made, the rest was tamiya tape..

NIcXmv.jpg

..getting there..

fz1xNX.jpg

..mixed up a match to the fuselage paint & airbrushed..

LpWBNV.jpg

..and job done :)

vNh2kJ.jpg

LpG90a.jpg

YnYY3W.jpg

..lots more details on the wing still to go, but I am so relieved that is out of the way..

TTFN

Peter