1/18 Hawker Fury

airscale

This is like witnessing someone create a watch from scratch- the skill, the precision, the creation of complicated and tiny parts.  It also shows the future of modeling with 3D printing becoming more mainstream.  We all knew a few years ago that 3D printing was going to be a big part of our hobby one day, but I'm surprised at how quickly it has become so already.  Congrat's Peter for embracing this new technology and growing as a modeler, with new tools to work with.

Cheers,

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

evening everyone :)

thank you so much for your kind comments, they really do mean a great deal and inspire me to better myself :)

On 2/1/2021 at 8:01 PM, clarkis said:

Hi Peter - sitting here in silent adoration at your latest masterpiece...question about the 3D printed MLG wheels: do you know what kind of printer was used to print those?   TIA!

Clark Cone

Thank you Clark :) I am afraid I have no idea, perhaps if Tim sees this he can answer

so, lets start with some little bits..

I added the coloured raised instrument bezels on the instrument panel in advance of getting the instrument decals at the end of the month..

0O04HM.jpg

..also made up the compass ready for it's dial..

xqjvQZ.jpg

..and it's bracket & stand..

PcRsPm.jpg

..moving onto bigger things, after a long time i had to get the wingtips sorted... I tried litho as seen here as I was struggling to get plastic to comply..

KEAy46.jpg

..in the end this just wasn't suitable - after priming I could clearly see differences in profile and 'look & feel' to the plastic sheet it was next to, plus it marked & dented really easily so back to the drawing board..

..in the end I tried the same plastic sheet and after redoing the tips at least 5 times, filling some seams at least 20 times, I finally got them done..

HdRIpO.jpg

M61Qwa.jpg

...the gentle fabric effect can't really be seen in the white-out of primer, but it is there..

jZFL7i.jpg

..and the bottom faces.. I hope you can't see any seams :)

2gi4HD.jpg

..next up the fin and rudder...

5FMxEo.jpg

note the visible tube leading & trailing edges where the fin & rudder meet, also the ribbing effect & rib stitching and the hole in the fin where the stabiliser bracing wires go, so quite a lot to try and capture..

..I made up the core from card, added a brass hex trailing edge as there seem to be formers giving rise to this shape - here it can be seen with the prepared skin ready to attach. The skin has been lined with a ballpoint, and marked out to set out embossed rib stitching...

..there are also hinge points with tiny holes for pins (2 on each) made from small brass 'U' channel..

B9RyQF.jpg

..after skinning, the fin was primed - here the mounting rods can also be seen though masked....

S3A7rW.jpg

..onto the rudder, I chose brass sheet to keep a strong but fine trailing edge, this was soldered to the rudder post which had had it's corresponding hinges added - the holes are so I could wire the assembly together while soldering..

hzBlBi.jpg

..here the hinges can be seen in more detail - getting four hinges and eight 0.4mm holes to line up was lets say...challenging..

mDOZF0.jpg

..starting to take shape, but still lots of fettling & checking..

vcMpOi.jpg

4wC5Xn.jpg

..ribs were added & the skin was done in one piece with the scored ribs going right around the rudder post like the original - also seen here is the scalpel blade ground to make a tiny flat tip to make the embossed stitching..

..before the skin was added, rectangular holes were made for the hinges by scoring with a pin through a template..

dYmzK3.jpg

..contact adhesive was used to apply the skin, with CA at the trailing edge and where it fairs into the rudder post..

hySrdL.jpg

..and after priming / dry fitting..

03c7jW.jpg

..starting to take shape..

GS1KO2.jpg

..stabilisers next, I am also staring in the face of doing the upper wings which I can't say I am hugely excited about, but I have learned a lot so they should be fine :)

until next time..

TTFN

Peter

21 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Brilliant work, Peter! What did you use for the skinning of the fin and rudder in the end? In the photos, it looks like paper.

Kev

Hi Kev :)

thanks, it's just thin plastic card, like paper thin..

I need to figure out what to do about rib tapes etc, might try and find some thick decal film

Peter