1/18 Hawker Fury

airscale

Hello Peter. I am always delighted by your works and your manual skills, it is true that the scale helps but your pieces seem to scale 1: 1. I spent a couple of hours reading the trad and now I flag it so as not to miss any updates. I reconfirm my admiration for your works both at a hobby and professional level.:clap2:

Thank you chaps :)

little bit more done...

..I wanted to check the cabane strut alignment against the little spigots I included on the brass tube 'core' at the heart of the model. These are quite complicated in as much as they angle forwards and outwards, plus obviously define the position (and strength) of the upper wing..

..I translated some specific drawings on the plans into some card templates and added dummy tube struts to see where I was at..

jzNXZy.jpg

..after some fettling and small bends on the spigots, I got it good enough for now..

DwlLoo.jpg

CZb4o0.jpg

JaLb8J.jpg

..next I wanted to start to get the interior of the fuselage readied for detailing, so I primed and painted some plastic stock stringers, marked out the inner areas and painted the red doped fabric (well orangy red..) seen on the inside..

..the stringer positions were scored -  their position being known by drilling two tiny holes either end of the datum line on the outside each side of the cockpit area so I could join the dots and get the datum on the inside..

CyocKA.jpg

..getting a feel for what it would look like - I thought pre-painting would be easier..

RO8Q2O.jpg

..then having fitted the visible structure - the upper fuselage and nose areas are all metal so the upper bit will be skinned on the inside with litho..

0KUcsf.jpg

s2h6ih.jpg

..I cut the fuselage access door off, but even then very little can be seen which is a shame..

dqEK9B.jpg

buAiSY.jpg

..still, I know it's there (as do you :) ) and I have learned a lot about the airframe in making it so nothing lost...

TTFN
Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy friends :)

hope all are well & back with some more Fury stuff..

wanted to get some stuff done while I wait for the instrument decals so i can start building up the cockpit and ultimately close the fuselage..

..there were a few bits that lend themselves well to 3D - things like the wheels...

..I nearly got caught out as the few drawings I have are for Danish Nimrods, well it turns out Nimrods have slightly bigger wheels - not sure what the one on K5674 in Duxford was, but the hub pattern is common to period Fury photo's I have seen, so I went for this..

PWnCqD.jpg

..fired up Rhino and got to work - wheels are really simple so get a free trial and some Youtube videos on creating shapes and they make a great first try - thats how i learned..

P43Hhn.jpg

Tim Perry kindly printed them for me (thanks Tim!!) - they came out really well..

ESxVLW.jpg

..after one coat of mr surfacer to see what the stiration is like and they only need very minor fettling - I will add brass bolts as they will look cleaner..

lM3f1B.jpg

..also 3D printed the top of the leg which I will try and skin in litho - here are the parts on the axle - I will likely replace the strut to make it a nice fit into the upper leg..

FjOJxW.jpg

..another part I tried in 3D was the exhausts - you can see here they are regular long ovals, flat at each end, and staggered so the nose ones are shorter than the rear ones (the rear stick out more to go with the cowling contour..

oTXTba.jpg

..I did wonder if my design would ask too much of the print process as they are so thin, but Tim did an ace job..

sIQ18N.jpg

..bit of primer and they were good to go..

mswfRm.jpg

..painted with alclad steel and then blended with a mix of steel & copper..

c13dtU.jpg

..the exhaust slots were enlarged on the fuselage as the cowl panel has larger ovals so it can be removed, added a shelf for them to sit on and painted everything matt black..

also cut out other holes in the front end that are visible for various bits and bobs..

ak7HFF.jpg

..those holes include these on the upper cowling I noticed from a pic I took at Duxford just before the last lockdown...

..some things can be seen sticking out..

07ieEC.jpg

..I found those things are mounted to pipes by watching a Retrotec youtube video of their Kestrel first run so I made the pipes, fittings and bases for those units..

uzPj7V.jpg

..seen here with the exhausts fitted - the bases need painting..

HUmrvf.jpg

0VO7gz.jpg

..coming along...

JZbkPO.jpg

TTFN

Peter

Hi lads & lasses :)

the Fury is moving along at a glacial pace - the next bit to do was the upper U/C strut seen here in all it's aerodynamic glory, along with many details that need reproducing..

..note the different fixings, the bracket mounting it to the fuselage lug and the big nut at the front..

ulkHe7.jpg

..I started with the 3D printed parts I did - it was beyond me to get the curved fairing at the top so I did a flat profile outline and set about sanding them to shape. First up some tape to define the boundary and allow a scribed reference line.. the one at the back has been shaped..

rDhTOI.jpg

..the lug mounts were made and the four nuts, plus the opening for the big nuts at the front were milled out..

iD8OHJ.jpg

..I toyed with skinning the tops, but they would be very difficult so I decided to paint them and skin the rest in litho - I don't think they look too bad..

..a ring of solder was added where the upper & lower sections meet to represent the turned edge..

2tZD2F.jpg

..the lowere compression struts fit via pins to the axle..

jy64Sj.jpg

..as do the upper mounts where they meet the fuselage - here the geometry is all out, but checking they fit the mounts..

5FrxYT.jpg

skURVI.jpg

..here I have removed the exhausts and am having them remade as I wasn't happy with how they stagger which I took from the Westburg plan vs how flush with the skin they are in photos..

JvpiaI.jpg

..another step forward after much experimentation is trying to get the same ribbed effect on the wing tips as is possible with the plastic card skin..

..here I found annealed litho made for a more forgiving material to take the compound curves involved - here is a test piece, the real one will be better still..

KEAy46.jpg

..also Britmodeller member 'Lightpainter' pointed out the R/H cockpit wall is metal on the Lukgraph Nimrod he is building & asked wasn't it the same on the Fury - well you can clearly see here the big metal removable access panel which is again missed on the Westburg plans..

kvIHHB.jpg

..as such that side of the cockpit needed to be re-done - he also sent me loads of good pics showing areas I was missing details on..

..here the panel has been added and the ribbing..

bbUbmu.jpg

VzMNjN.jpg

...while working on that sidewall, I started to make the complicated oxygen control panel - a bit of which can be seen here on the right..

QiVOxQ.jpg

..I had made a few PE bits including the mounting panel as the outline is shown in the Danish Nimrod drawings, I started to make up the main component by using the bevelled top of a household screw and adding bits to it..

..there is also a wooden disc mounting plate seen so this was made from punched thin plywood..

doyCvJ.jpg

..I didn't take any other pics until I had finished it, but it is a collection of a lot of brass parts and took a few days to make - the two dials have decals coming and are sized to take 2.5mm punched acetate discs..

pKYI45.jpg

XE1Hub.jpg

..and it sort of goes here..

raCOuO.jpg

..and thats it for now

TTFN

Peter

Hi Peter, following your superb work and admiring your workmanship as always.

Although not directly relevant, I wondered if you've come across Typhoon Legacy Co. Ltd.? They have a Youtube channel following their restoration in some detail.

The bit I thought might be of interest is their dealing with Hawker's mid fuselage tube structures and spars which changed very little up to the Tempests.

This is a good example of what is illustrated.