1/18 Hawker Fury

airscale

I know the feeling when large completed components begin to be assembled, and your efforts are coming to a conclusion.  Especially when they are scratch built.  You have to feel proud - you sure deserve to be!  It's a shrink ray airplane.

thank you guys, very kind :)

I have been working hard on getting some big scary things done and actually it has caught me by surprise how close to the finish I am..

I don't have too many WIP pictures as while the model is on my bench getting stuff done, I have no room to get ready to take the odd snap, so i will describe some of the last stages..

..with the wings on, rigging was made with K&S 0.15 Music wire - this stuff is great as it's rigid so it's just about getting the turnbuckles right and there is a bit of play as they slide in the turnbuckle tubes so a great fit is quite easy.

the turnbuckles themselves are albion alloys tube, crimped & drilled at the ends with a few custom PE fittings like where there are dual wires...

PjnOEO.jpg

xMvb5R.jpg

..I also attatched the landing gear with tiny spots of JB weld and the bolts pushed through - I think if I am careful it will hold, these also have rigging lines, though the brake lines are not connected yet..

xwH8FF.jpg

MCV0sv.jpg

..the tailskid & boot were also fitted - bit of red paint bleed I can see here I need to correct..

62d86N.jpg

..you may notice the wheel covers are red - I got an interesting message from JensHB that someone in the know was following the thread and said 'A Flight' of 1 Sqdn colours were Red, with 'B Flight' Blue and 'C Flight' Yellow - I was only going by the note on the one photo I have of K2902 when I painted mine blue so checked with Tangmere Museum. They couldn't confirm one way or another, but when I did shade comparisons on the photo with known red & blue from the roundel it was clear the wheels & fin should be red so they were repainted..

..with the LG fitted and the rigging done, it is only the tailfeathers left to do..

iBUZpZ.jpg

95QZvq.jpg

KQHtkJ.jpg

H7CbM4.jpg

fHHX5w.jpg

aLF6DY.jpg

Lm4PZi.jpg

PmMAIl.jpg

when I say nearly finishing has caught me by surprise, I mean it - I have given zero consideration to what is next..

one thing is certain - it can be anything as I proved to myself I can scratchbuild, and as always i do like a metal finish :)

so, need to get the fin, stabs, rudder & elevators fitted & rigged and then I think I am pretty much there

TTFN

Peter

2 hours ago, airscale said:

I can scratchbuild

No way. What you do, cannot be called "scratchbuilding" really.

Do you mean "building from scratch" perhaps...?

:deadhorse:

Cheers & congratulations for the completion of another gorgeous Masterpiece.

Joerg

I've just run out of superlatives at this point.  This build is just staggeringly good. I want to build like this when I grow up.

How did you do the little rigging "bullets" at the intersections? They look great.

Matt 

I have never done something entirely from scratch.  I think that's what you mean - start with nothing.  And here I look at pictures that look as though a full scale aircraft is being photographed.  Done from scratch.  Way to go man.

Well that's it, everyone.No point entering anything at Telford, Pete's already won Best in Every Show, including Model Engineer's, etc. We just need to go to see this marvel in person. Got to be the best model ever made. Period. Regards, Pete in RI

'I think I am pretty much there'

I'd say you've been there for awhile, Peter.  This is so good it hurts.  Great show, Peter.  Maybe if I change my first name to Peter I'll be able to model like you and Peter Fleischmann.

Sincerely,

Mark