1/18 Hawker Fury

airscale

"...it looks overscale here..."

Well, to be fair, the prop looks overscale on the 1:1 version as well.

This build is just wonderful to watch. I admit to not having much previous knowledge about the Fury; but learning about this beautiful little Golden Age and Pre-war wonder through your build has been a thrill!

My largest take-away on the lines of the machine: you can really see the family lineage from Fury to Hurricane. Especially the vertical stab, the cockpit area to the cowling, and that two-bladed wooden prop looks just like the prototype Hurri.

Brilliant work, Peter, and a pure joy to watch. Thank you for sharing it all.

Best,

Chris

On 4/5/2021 at 1:33 PM, KUROK said:

Sublime work!

I was wondering, do those metal panels keep their shine or do they oxidize quickly?

Hi, I'm late to this thread, but I'd like to suggest a product. It's called Renaissance Wax, it's a fine crystalline wax that jewelers and museums use to keep their metal displays from oxidizing. Sometimes clear coats will dull a polished panel, but if you can keep the air from reaching the metal, it'll stay bright for a very long time. I dabble in jewelry and love the stuff!

well thank you for so many kind words :blush:

you guys are too kind

I have finished up all the panels around the radiator, but that will have to wait until next time as there is bigger news...

guess what this is...

5HBoWt.jpg

..it's the build jig for one of the upper wings - I translated (& corrected) plans, interpreted photo's and drawings and drew up my own plans - this is the underside of the wing - the most critical part as this is where all the strut mounts, rigging mounts and spacing needs to be super right to mate properly with the lower wing and cabane struts..

..the lines represent the ribs and a block & carrier are at the leading edge to hold half round stock up above the plan where it needs to meet the nose of each rib - keeps it all straight too..

speaking of which, there are 41, thankfully all the same profile (apart from at the tips..) here they have been made by using a brass template with two holes at the spars that are a tight fit for big press pins to pin stock plastic to balsa and cut each rib's outline. There are a lot of them & once done they are broken out and put together like this for block sanding..

TR0Mj8.jpg

..I started with the centre section, by now the pin holes in each rib have been enlarged to be a tight push fit on the brass tube spars

..thicker end ribs were added and card fills in the spaces to give torsional stability, also little bits of tube added for strut mounts..

QIEm5s.jpg

..the wings are the same method except a black card tip is cut to shape & let into the structure - black so I can see the centreline when shaping later..

..I bent the few degrees of dihedral into brass rods and used the centre section slid on to the wing structure before the rod spars were fixed to get the relationship to the wing right 

ZXXHH0.jpg

..a small square brass sub spar was added to the top where the aileron is and again stock filled up the gaps..

Klxq52.jpg

..times two - soon had the entire upper wing done..

0AppBO.jpg

5Tdpb4.jpg

..I made up a stiff card jig that maps the relationship between the fuselage and wings - it sits on the lower wing and sets the exact position of the upper wing (or it will when I come to make struts & fit it), but useful to see what it all looks like..

..we have my first biplane :)

rHKxyy.jpg

9wIQTF.jpg

V3w61a.jpg

JhYbwb.jpg

6NM3dE.jpg

..looooong way to go, but thats a big step forward..

TTFN

Peter

It's just a pleasure to see this coming together and the techniques used.

And I will say it again - the technique itself is not rocket science, neither are the planning, preparation and realization. But golly from the outside looking at the pictures at time it does feel a lot like it, like "ok what planet is Peter from? Parallel Earth?" :)

I have a question though after looking at the pics and reading the text going with it. In the first pic I thought it was brass formers on the outside with balsa ribs inbetween, but later it looks more like plastic and not balsa-y at all. Also the text talks about brass, plastic and balsa. Hm... I would probably have used balsa unless that would have turned out too fragile even with the brass tubes for reinforcement.