1/18 Hawker Fury

airscale

evening folks & thanks for all your encouragement, it really means a lot to me :)

On 4/25/2021 at 8:55 PM, scvrobeson said:

Excellent update.  Wouldn't it be easier to use the same blue you used for the fin for the markings?  Then they'd all match together.
Matt 

I was thinking about that Matt - I figured the roundels were added at the factory but the flight markings on the airfield so should be different - that said, I have resprayed the blue with an MRP shade but more on that later..

On 4/26/2021 at 5:33 PM, jenshb said:

What brand of decal film are you using?  It's thick enough to show up, but thin enough to look subtle.  Would have thought Microscale would be too thin?

Hi Jens - it's called 'Experts Choice' and comes in clear or white - it's great for this, but if it were it's intended use as actual markings it's a bit clumsy and doesn't hold paint very well..

..as far as progress goes, I started painting - not my strong suit..

Radu made me the masks and they were excellent - the only real issue being how fragile the surface is - the decal strip can pull off, the alclad can pull off, and painting onto polished metal means guess what - yep, it pulls (or falls) off...

I probably should have varnished the fabric areas but I am terrified of varnish after a few bad experiences - I don't know which one to use and I think I need another airbrush with a bigger spray capacity to do it properly..

..anyways, I did the wings first and had lots of touch ups after - thankfully where the decal strips pulled adding water tightened them back up and after that I used low tack post it notes while trying to recover some of the paint losses..

..all done now, and any inconsistency in the finish I will call weathering or hangar rash...

..the MRP RAF Markings paint arrived from Holland after 2 weeks but I have to say I was disappointed - the red is more like salmon and the blue looks like it might on a washed out Lancaster wing, but no good for this (I ended up using it on the tail..)

In the end I made up mixes from Tamiya colours..

6Z0orT.jpg

..while I was waiting for the MRP paint to arrive, I started on the undercarriage - for this I needed a jig so made it up from sheets of acrylic so I can hang the gear..

..it has a tube the propshaft sits in and a rest to keep it level per the datum - plus a couple of balsa wedges to keep it on the centreline..

Xz08kq.jpg

..this allowed me to measure & create the trailing U/C legs..

D7eYEE.jpg

..all the joints are pinned (holes & pins) - it's quite a complex arrangement and it wasn't until I took it out of the jig for photos I realised how unstable it all is - the fuselage wants to rotate around all the points and as there are no hard / fast fixings (likely will just use CA'd mini bolts) I am a bit worried the whole thing is going to be super fragile - one to do some thinking about..

RJy6IN.jpg

..the axle and trailing legs are wrapped in linen tape, so out with the decal strips again... also brake pipes are under the wrap..

4DXCdB.jpg

zhDHT7.jpg

..so onto the painting, not much to say other than I don't like doing it :)

lzLSXG.jpg

V9Ovs0.jpg

VM7Z7w.jpg

xQ8Av6.jpg

5MYFH9.jpg

STU73B.jpg

..I think I will fix the lower wings on soon so I can turn the corner and start part 2 - the upper wings...

TTFN

Peter

Peter - I sound like a broken record, but I will say it just looks like it's the real thing!  As for the instability of the undercarriage - I can see the real airplane has a couple of cables that stabilize it.  Don't know how you will model that.  But it has to have some cross members of some kind.

Jaw dropping is assured every time an update shows itself.
What an amazing model.
May I say I share your fear( near hate in my case) with varnish after so many bad experiences with the product.

Please keep making us dream.

Cheers.
Mathieu

Edited by MDuv

Peter

This just keeps getting better. Your consistency, execution, and skill just astound me. The results achieved are without equal...that's not an exaggeration...the sum of it all is the production of a masterpiece.

Regards

Geoff

thank you my friends :)

however, all is not well in Furytown..

Fortunately for me, a chap over on Britmodeller questioned my use of black for the stripes as 1 Sqn aircraft had red stripes (which I knew but reasoned away as I wanted a black striped model..)

I quote my response...

Nick, you are of course right - 1 Sqn's markings are red, but I had convinced myself and assumed the photo was mislabelled as No 1 Sqn as the stripe PATTERN looked like 25 Sqn in tighter spaced lines and therefore if it really was a 25 Sqn aeroplane then they were black

..now I look again and do more forensic examination i can see many cues that show this is indeed a 1 Sqn aircraft and the stripes are indeed red

XFiXHE.jpg

I will set about correcting it, and can only thank you Nick for pointing it out now while I can recover it :)

thats the power of a place like this - you can draw upon a super well informed group conscience to keep you honest

Peter

So, a repaint it is....

..damn...

'. . . thankfully where the decal strips pulled adding water tightened them back up . . .'

Lucky.

'. . . it wasn't until I took it out of the jig for photos I realized how unstable it all is . . .'

What a drag.

Great show Peter.  Great execution.  This is wonderful to look at.

Sincerely,

Mark