1/18 Hawker Fury

airscale

Peter

I return to the scene of the crime for a new episode of self loathing. I dont know how you do what you do, but its simply above me. I dont think there is a word suitable to describe what you do..but it sure is good. Its also a good boot in the butt, to up my game.

Im curious about your simulation of the screws under the rib tapes...what did you use? 

Looking forward to your next update...and more self loathing. :)

Regards

Geoff

evening folks :)

On 4/19/2021 at 7:54 AM, flarpen said:

Looking really really great.
One little question though, the gap between the rudder and fin looks to be a tad big, or will that be sorted at final assembly?

Thats a great spot Flarpen - the gap isn't as bad as it looks in the dry fit, but on checking it wasn't right - I think it's because I actually made hinges that pin to each other so they were a bit too deep - got rid of the pins and closed the gap - I will just CA it in place when the time comes...

..thats what I love about this place, you get a free army of builders with you on your shoulder :)

On 4/19/2021 at 3:06 PM, Ironwing said:

Im curious about your simulation of the screws under the rib tapes...what did you use? 

Looking forward to your next update...and more self loathing. :)

Regards

Geoff

..now then Geoff - no self loathing here - I have seen what you can do so that would be badly misplaced :) - really happy to see you back at the bench with the ST-A..

..I only did the rivets on the tail surfaces - it was just by imressing into the plasticard skin from the back before skinning the parts - i still need to find a way to do that convincingly on any model...

so just  a brief update as while I have been busy I didn't get any in progress shots..

firstly, the wings were given rib tapes from decals & primed & painted... also added the fixings for the rigging wires..

CE6Vpg.jpg

DOAtui.jpg

..also added these two panels..

gMh7yw.jpg

..having decided on a scheme, I have also designed all the masks I need which Radu Brinzan has kindly made & sent to me - in readiness for these I rough painted the white bits of the roundels on the lower wings..

..I couldn't find MRP Roundel red & blue anywhere and have ended up buying them from a place in Holland - £30 for both after shipping so a bit of a sting.... once they get here I am ready to paint most of the markings..

qUMXN7.jpg

..the other area of focus is the metal panel work at the tail and adding the lower rudder hinges..

..the struts that hold the tailplane in place have to be made, but the mounts are done (though they need their canvas boots..

..I also made the tailskid which again needs a big canvas boot - the skid bit was made from brass - not sure what the real one was made of or what coulour it should be?

jePm1b.jpg

yXbSvm.jpg

..the other side has a smaller panel & the big hole is where the rudder control cables come out of (in a boot..)..

jwhaAD.jpg

..and with it's roundel blank I am tempted to put a number in it and call it an air racer....

XNuCN1.jpg

..I want to get lots of the fiddly bits done and all the painting before the final main assembly which is the upper wings - that will be a model in itself..

TTFN
Peter

Peter

Thank you for the bit about the the tape screws. I shall surely give it a try 

Now this is the part where something clever and engaging needs to said about what you've accomplished here...uuuuuuh..sorry..can't do it. This is just beyond me. I'll go take a nap and self loathe for a bit :)

Be safe

Regards

Geoff

Just got up to date here - Close up shots reveal the true quality of a model.  And your close-ups make me think I am looking at a full scale airplane.  

Decal paper for fabric strips - of course.  One of my problems is that there are household solutions to some of our problems in modeling, but my brain cannot put two and two together.  

3 hours ago, JayW said:

Just got up to date here - Close up shots reveal the true quality of a model.  And your close-ups make me think I am looking at a full scale airplane.  

Decal paper for fabric strips - of course.  One of my problems is that there are household solutions to some of our problems in modeling, but my brain cannot put two and two together.  

Hi Jay,

From one of Peter's earlier posts:

"..before I could make that I had to sort out the rib tapes..

..this has been a bit of a trial - I ordered a sheet of decal film as that had given best results and is made by the same folks as micro sol & set so I thought would work well.. firstly I ordered clear film - that was a mistake, I couldn't see what I was doing so I ordered white.."

Derek