1/18 Hawker Fury

airscale

thanks chaps :)

..just a quick one

I cut away the under fuselage to allow mating of the rad structure - the roof of the rad intake at the front seems also to have some sort of slat arrangement, but I only have a couple of oblique photos to work from so imagineered this bit..

..also the flat panel in front of it was let in by using a template glued on to cut away the skinning and then some work to flatten the underlying structure before adding a more detailed panel..

ewZKDe.jpg

YrzzL5.jpg

sn3L57.jpg

OcndBs.jpg

wVfImD.jpg

TTFN

Peter

ello, ello,

thanks my friends for stopping by :)

so, I have finally settled on a scheme - it's K2902 of No.1 Squadron Tangmere. It belongs to B Flight with it's fin, wheels and spinner painted in blue. It's individual letter 'A' can be seen on the cowling painted in red. Tragically, it was lost in a mid-air collision with K2901 on 17th December 1937 near Rowlands Castle, Hampshire. Both pilots, Flying Off (Acting Flight Lt) Harry Hamilton Peck (aged 26) and Sgt Robert Edmund Patten (aged 26) were killed, so this is in their memory.

egppbQ.jpg

..there are fancier schemes out there, and it might not be as shiny as the model, but I like the understated look and want to honour those airmen..

I am still trying to do things in some sort of order so I don't get construction clashes and am sort of looking at getting the tailfeathers & lower wings on so I can get the upper wing (just the mini midlle bit) & cabane struts properly oriented..

..so with that, it was time to get the tail components sorted - lots of strip decal for the rib tapes & strengthening patches where there are rigging attatchments - plus these two round 'polo mint' things..

yrLK65.jpg

TwRPvR.jpg

..these were then primed with Mr surfacer & painted with alclad..

XysQ78.jpg

OHrJZf.jpg

..there are four rigging attatchments on the tailplane upper, and strut attatchments lower..  these had little leather boots added..

9zNylf.jpg

..I have no idea what blue to use, so I went with the same as my Spitfire Race #80 so they look cool in my cabinet together :)

..the fabric effect I think works & I have wire wooled the paint to scuff it up a bit..

Q9jI7o.jpg

N0mLBZ.jpg

..the bits don't really dry fit together very easily, but it's something like this..

B0WKEZ.jpg

wgGlAs.jpg

IiGUMp.jpg

..I have to say i am really enjoying making this one - I guess that will last until I have to get the geometry right for all the struts & wings :) also the rigging I have no idea about - i need stiff, very thin piano wire I think and no idea how I will do the turnbuckles - I wonder if Gaspatch will scale me up a set or two :)

TTFN
Peter