1/18 Hawker Fury

airscale

20 hours ago, airscale said:
On 3/21/2021 at 5:04 PM, Oldbaldguy said:

Okay, I’ll bite.  Do you have any idea what that enormous access panel gives access to?  Just wondering what could be that far aft in the fuselage that would need attention.

Do you know what OBG, I have no idea - it just seems to access the tubes & wires back there - later Furies went to have one on each side so I guess they were used for something :)

Hi Peter,

I can only find one cut away image for this aircraft, and, if it is accurate, indicates that the only things that live behind the seat in the lower fuselage area (probably below the seat bulkhead) are the aircraft electrical accumulator (battery) and oxygen bottle (it would probably also be a useful place for any airborne radio equipment - if Furies ever had such equipment installed?). This could have been the purpose for such an access panel (as well as general aircraft rigging).

Regards

Derek

hello again & thank you again :)

On 3/24/2021 at 11:35 PM, scvrobeson said:

..how did you do that leather crash pad at the front?

Matt 

Hi Matt - it is made from milliput, then painted in a couple of mixed shades of tamiya acrylics and then dusted with a lighter weathering powder - (MIG Dark Mud..)

On 3/25/2021 at 7:58 AM, brahman104 said:

Peter!

Love the "stitching." Great use of the special tool to stop the wire rolling over on itself.

Welcome to my world of raised rivets in litho!!!!!! Fantastic work as always...... Not sure if it's too late, but something that really helps the raised rivets stand out neatly instead of getting a lot of deformations in the skin around them is to work from the top side and with a piece of stainless tube (OD size of the rivet, in 1/32 I used 0.018"), you push the surrounding material back down. It's a lot of work and you have to be correctly centralised over each rivet so you don't get a smiley, but it really adds to the effect.

Check out my wing work on the B-17 which might explain what I mean a little better!

Fantastic effort as always.... can't wait to see the next instalment :)

Craig

Hey Craig, thanks for dropping in and will take a look into this :)  normally with flush rivets, I burnish the panel so all the 'pillowing' disappears, but with these I can't do that so this sounds like a very useful tip :)

..the only part I have actually made are the guns - bits of brass and some PE I made at the beginning - these were pre-painted before assembly so I can get in all the nooks & crannies..

..the muzzle breech thing had square holes so these were drilled & filed..

yJvFkT.jpg

...& painted..

PSQ3JH.jpg

..the rest has just been rinse & repeat with tape templates & making up panels - I am just going to stop here and do the wing root panels so I don't risk scratching / denting the forward nose panels...

..the guns sort of sit here..

ZUKhgK.jpg

xOfuv5.jpg

TYimmT.jpg

RYSpA2.jpg

26Dd1n.jpg

nBLGRF.jpg

b74qPQ.jpg

..back later :)

TTFN
Peter

I was taught years ago that a good photo can hide a multitude of sins, but there are no sins in this build to hide.  Even very close up, there just aren’t any.  The level of craftsmanship and expertise displayed in this build goes beyond the pale.  Amazing stuff, this.