1/18 Hawker Fury

airscale

What I love most about grand babies is that you can play and love on ‘em and all that and as soon as they poop or barf or start to cry, you can hand ‘em back to their mom and then carry on with your day without guilt.  Haven’t changed a diaper in half a century.  Back to business:  Okay, I’ll bite.  Do you have any idea what that enormous access panel gives access to?  Just wondering what could be that far aft in the fuselage that would need attention.

God almighty Peter - you just work magic with these efforts. Novel approaches too.  How did you make the seat belts and shoulder harnesses worn looking?  And what material are they?  I am thinking there are better options than the wine bottle lead foil I have used over the years....

Edited by JayW

Not to question an obvious master, but are you 100% sure that gizmo on the turtleneck in the photo of a 1:1 airplane is actually a light and not a glass insulator around an antenna wire mast?  I agree that it looks like a light, but where is the element/bulb?  All I see is what looks like a rod between the airframe and the top of the mast.

6anXlk.jpg

Peter, My 1/24 scratchbuilt Fury says (a very humble) hello!  I recall you always had an eye for this plane and happy you are able to pursue it.  OMG, I'm crying at what you've done. I know all those part so well but was never quite that skilled/experienced to pursue them. Recall you gave me some metal foil to help me along and it's here behind the cockpit!  Will be watching more as you progress. 

13 hours ago, Jim Barry said:

Recall you gave me some metal foil to help me along and it's here behind the cockpit!  Will be watching more as you progress. 

Peter helped me out with my Cirrus Moth too, he's a great bloke

Richard

Good day to you all :)

On 3/21/2021 at 5:04 PM, Oldbaldguy said:

Okay, I’ll bite.  Do you have any idea what that enormous access panel gives access to?  Just wondering what could be that far aft in the fuselage that would need attention.

Do you know what OBG, I have no idea - it just seems to access the tubes & wires back there - later Furies went to have one on each side so I guess they were used for something :)

On 3/22/2021 at 1:09 AM, JayW said:

How did you make the seat belts and shoulder harnesses worn looking?  And what material are they?  I am thinking there are better options than the wine bottle lead foil I have used over the years....

Hi Jay - I use a bit of lead roof sheet which is about 1 - 2 mm thick - I cut a strip and just roll it and roll it until it's wafer thin. If the belts are narrow I do the same with lead wire. they llok worn because they are a bit weathered with washes, but largely the patches are fleked paint which is a problem I have yet to get over if they bend and flex too much after painting... here they need a touch up, though I might leave them :)

On 3/22/2021 at 11:30 PM, Oldbaldguy said:

Not to question an obvious master, but are you 100% sure that gizmo on the turtleneck in the photo of a 1:1 airplane is actually a light and not a glass insulator around an antenna wire mast?  I agree that it looks like a light, but where is the element/bulb?  All I see is what looks like a rod between the airframe and the top of the mast.

Obvious master lol, beyond question lol - you go for it, thats what I love about WIP threads, I get to learn and have errors gracefully handled before I make them (or after..) :) You are 100% right, apparently it is an aerial termination point so I need to work out if the Fury I end up doing has one like this or not -

19 hours ago, Jim Barry said:

6anXlk.jpg

Peter, My 1/24 scratchbuilt Fury says (a very humble) hello!  I recall you always had an eye for this plane and happy you are able to pursue it.  OMG, I'm crying at what you've done. I know all those part so well but was never quite that skilled/experienced to pursue them. Recall you gave me some metal foil to help me along and it's here behind the cockpit!  Will be watching more as you progress. 

Wow Jim, that turned out a peach - very nice job and happy to help :)

5 hours ago, RLWP said:

Peter helped me out with my Cirrus Moth too, he's a great bloke

Richard

Aww thanks Richard - too kind. I get so much from the community here I always look to give back if I can :)

So, what bobbins have I come up with this week?

Well, now the rear fuselage has the tapes and at least a primer coat of silver I can move to the skinning - this is something I have been both looking forward to and dreading...

..the dread stems from there are many complex panels (hard thing number 1), they are not flush riveted but have dome rivets (hard thing number 2) and they are highly polished (hard thing number 3...)

..moving backwards from the turtledeck, I noticed some smaller panels sort of stitched on..

g9n6ta.jpg

..I made up the panels in litho, added rivets from the back with a blunt pin and tried stitching with lead wire - that failed, the wire is too weak and kept snapping, so used copper in the hope over time it weathers & oxidises a bit..

..the blue thing is a bit of wire to stop the loops twisting as I pull them tight..

vJSNHa.jpg

..added and one stitch added to join them..

K9QYaV.jpg

..for the first actual panel, I marked out the boundaries in dymo tape and burnished down a tape template to get the exact shape needed..

4MTWOv.jpg

..a marking guide is then made up in the computer and holes drilled to mark where the dzus fastners are..

lWCH2E.jpg

..then prior to rivets being added the panel is polished with this stuff..

oGLC8A.jpg

..hard to get the shine on camera, but here you can see a reflection of a can of mr surfacer..

HErC9z.jpg

..this is the other side, but here is another panel with contact adhesive on after making a tape hinge so it drops exactly where it should..

Tke3CA.jpg

..the panel around the cockpit is one of the harder ones - it's one piece wrap around and must fit exactly in three of the four sides..

I started with a tape template again and used scaled plans to add various cutouts & details - things like rivet lines going across the top of the whole panel can only be done this way as otherwise it is impossible to determine how things lie when the panel is flat..

b6tUGo.jpg

..the next step is to add the tape template to a panel and score all the outlines and where needed remove any material..

m6QkdZ.jpg

the little zits on the right in the pic above are tests to see if i could translate the lines where there should be rivets by pricking with a pin from the top, turning the sheet over and re-pricking them again from underneath..

..ultimately ending up with all the cut-outs (some of which were not on the drawings), all the rivets, and all the fasters for things that are fixed inside on the cockpit wall..

c7QWAt.jpg

..this panel was then very carefully added and thankfully was a pretty good fit..

..other panels had hatches & bumps added as needed..

SySkfD.jpg

LhqADs.jpg

O5XmZ3.jpg

sGVOVF.jpg

..still many more to go, but a bit of wind in the sails as that top one will likely be one of the hardest :)

..just need to add all the hatches, some sliding gun access panels and all sorts to them now

TTFN

Peter

Peter!

Love the "stitching." Great use of the special tool to stop the wire rolling over on itself.

Welcome to my world of raised rivets in litho!!!!!! Fantastic work as always...... Not sure if it's too late, but something that really helps the raised rivets stand out neatly instead of getting a lot of deformations in the skin around them is to work from the top side and with a piece of stainless tube (OD size of the rivet, in 1/32 I used 0.018"), you push the surrounding material back down. It's a lot of work and you have to be correctly centralised over each rivet so you don't get a smiley, but it really adds to the effect.

Check out my wing work on the B-17 which might explain what I mean a little better!

Fantastic effort as always.... can't wait to see the next instalment :)

Craig