1/18 Hawker Fury

airscale

Sublime work as always Peter. I used exactly the same method as you to define fuselage rib skinning on a scratch built bi-plane over 35 years ago - the biggest problem I had was keeping the scalloped parts even and straight! (for parallel ribs, I eventually created my own scraper by grinding an old (large) hacksaw blade to the correct profile shape - much more controllable than a scalpel blade!).

Congratulations on becoming a grandparent - she is beautiful! :)

Best regards

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Awww thanks fellas :)

Very kind, and I am still enjoying every minute with my new family when I can see them :)

so, semi-normal service needs to be resumed and the first thing was adding the rear bulkhead - this was just painted litho with some rivets added where I can see them and the fixing straps..

X45mXN.jpg

..the turtledeck panels that go around this make up a central top panel which is dope taped and hinged side panels which I think are ply as they have doped edges. they are certainly painted in silver dope rather than polished metal and sit above the rib tapes etc as it terminates in this area.. (I don't think the light is period so i am not including it.. or at least its not on period pics I have)

sfG1m8.jpg

..I made a tape rubbing of the exact shape from the model and cut them from litho..

TddNDl.jpg

..before I could make that I had to sort out the rib tapes..

..this has been a bit of a trial - I ordered a sheet of decal film as that had given best results and is made by the same folks as micro sol & set so I thought would work well.. firstly I ordered clear film - that was a mistake, I couldn't see what I was doing so I ordered white..

..these just sit over each stringer position..

Ogqkd5.jpg

..the stuff is very sticky on both sides oddly when it is wet and I found it quite hard to work with - it's also quite rubbery

..as far as micro sol and set, it wrinkles & stays wrinkled quite badly so this could only be used very sparingly where it overlaps or needs to conform..  all of which leaves me a bit worried about adhesion when it comes to masking...

..I did a few tests and it seemed ok, so we will see...

soon got all that needed doing done..

0Zl9XT.jpg

..the effect looks fine, but it is a lot of effort!

LfYC9W.jpg

kKy9lH.jpg

..top metal (wood :) ) panel added..

g888p1.jpg

..then everything was left in the airing cupboard for 12 hrs and primed with mr surfacer - once that had dried it was airbrushed with alclad white aluminium..

G8r5At.jpg

UgVbWA.jpg

..the side access door is only dry fitted for now..

8nQYTe.jpg

..and the turtledeck panels all fitted - the hinges were as they are on the Nimrod pics I have and looked better than gaps so I went with them - just scored microtube..

sG0Ms8.jpg

so I need to sort of wrap this all to protect it and then start on the metal panelwork moving forward - should be fun :)

TTFN

Peter

1 hour ago, airscale said:

..the stuff is very sticky on both sides oddly when it is wet and I found it quite hard to work with <snip>

I suspect sticking strips of fabric down with dope was also challenging, so you must be doing it right!

Lovely stuff, Peter

Richard