1/18 Hawker Fury

airscale

evening ladies :)

back with a little more progress..

started by cutting out the big access door in the fuselage - unlike later metal aircraft, the fit seems quite rudimentary which suits me :)

..it's just resting in place now, but evn so..

ICAZLB.jpg

..then onto the wing roots - thing here is the front of the wing actually goes into the fuselage - there is no fairing until the rear half flares out...

so first I made up brass shapes to mirror the wing profile and used these to cut the shape. I also used the spar points to set their actual position so they neatly butt the wing so I could build up the fairing to them..

Ke6bD3.jpg

..with the templates in place it was a matter of bulking out and stregthening their fitment - as there is a chop into the fuselage I had to add some red dope paint to disguise some places..

..the ribwork was masked off to stop filler or sanding spoiling it

pEYgpq.jpg

..& filled with P38..

Ydj0vq.jpg

..from the bottom..

Y8aJIN.jpg

..and soon the fillets were complete..

4UUbXx.jpg

o8b8ea.jpg

..also added a rigging wire mount to where the forward U/C mount is and generally cleaned up the U/C fittings..

R3PVkw.jpg

..moving to the nose, I noticed the cowl is quite hollow and can be seen behind the spinner..

dg890O.jpg

..I made sure the nose was flat and true and added a litho disc to ensure a perfect circle - once I had filled to this, I set about removing as much as I could with a dremel burr to cut with..

YnZHds.jpg

..added an internal mount and a spigot that goes right back into a hole in the brass tubular fuselage structure...

also cut out the little indentation at the bottom of the cowl..

PO11qk.jpg

..and with a little dry fit, she is starting to look like an aeroplane..

W329eI.jpg

qhFt8w.jpg

..nimble little figher - oh wait, it needs another wing...

..now in other news, I became a grandfather yesterday, with the most precious little angel Amber coming into the world..

BEY4bM.jpg

..to say I am thrilled, just doesn't do justice to the feeling - I am so proud of my new little family - my daughter has started calling me "papa planes" :)

until next time

Peter