1/18 Hawker Fury

airscale

morning everyone :)

thank you so much - very kind :)

On 2/16/2021 at 11:06 AM, Rainer Hoffmann said:

Out of this world ... I wish you would tackle a post-war jet some day (not your cup of tea, I know, but one can allways hope, right?).

Cheers

Rainer

Hi Rainer - thanks for dropping in :) I guess it's never say never - I have toyed with the idea as early jets lend themselves so well to NMF finishes - I might well do something in the future..

On 2/25/2021 at 5:28 PM, clarkis said:

Hi Peter - awesome work, as usual...

Wondered if you were aware of the latest issue of FlyPast (03-2021) that has an article on the Hawker Fury... I have a digital copy I can forward if you want...

Clark Cone

Hi Clark - yes, thank you, i have a subscription and was very pleased to see it :) thanks for the offer though

right, picking up where we left off..

Elevators were cut from brass sheet and scored for rib positions..

EFfvkb.jpg

..ribs & leading edges added from plastic card..

gqiyFf.jpg

..skinned in scored card in the same way..

TdiC9U.jpg

..and the tailfeathers are done..

RPTcnE.jpg

i3bIcs.jpg

MROmQP.jpg

..I experimented with different rib tapes to see what I might use..

1. is masking tape

2.  is rivetted decal strip - the rivets dissappeared..

3. is just decal strip

4. is thin decal strip with a wider one over it

5. is decal strip over thin bare metal fiol strip

6. is tamiya tape

..I added an old mask from the spitfire and messilly sprayed it to see if the mask lifted any of the tapes..

f33eeq.jpg

..the upshot is, the best and most simple tape is just a strip of decal - adding the pins on the ribs is just way to hard or too much effort to capture so this is what I will go with (and likely remove the embossed ones on the fin)

..I also thought before I join the fuselage it would be easier to make the cockpit leather coaming, so I taped it up and added a foil isolation layer, building it up with milliput..

96J6Gu.jpg

..not surprisingly the thin strip where it is sewn to the fuselage broke up in milliput so a litho strip was let in..

mB6dOW.jpg

..and painted - it has since been split at the door and was a very good idea to do early as would have been much harder (& messier) with the fuselage joined with the cockpit in it..

nQsswj.jpg

..the instrument decals arrived so the IP was finished..

jCAeAO.jpg

EsFjA1.jpg

..with the compass structure added..

vxkMHd.jpg

..also added the decals to the other bits that needed them..

skJRiX.jpg

..and then the big moment....

..all these sub assemblies needed to go together in the jig an a specific order so the main cockpit became a finished unit.. this was a long delicate process, but I got there in the end..

XNlES4.jpg

yEe8gR.jpg

qyNWQ3.jpg

bw61A9.jpg

MXxuuK.jpg

..with that done the next major moment of truth was whether it all fitted in the fuselage...

zxto1z.jpg

AE69yb.jpg

..so far so good, but would it close - if not there is zero wriggle room to change things...

CnLFRY.jpg

YES!

..only a dry fit, but then everything disappeared... you can't see much, but it is the ultimate modeller challenge... I know it's there, you know it's there, but really any onlooker will never see 90% of the effort :)

until next time

TTFN

Peter

19 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Ha! I've spotted a mistake! The clock is set to the wrong time! You're human after all :)

Simply amazing work, Peter - this is so inspirational.

Tom

Yes, good to see some mistake :coolio:

Peter, in the future I will have to limit my comments to emojis. As many others have said before, there are just no more superlatives left in my limited vocabulary. Perhaps I could use some German ones, for a change ...

And I really wold like to see an early post war jet in NMF from you.

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann
Spelling corrected

13 minutes ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

And I really wold like to see an early post war jet in NMF from you.

Same here Peter (has to be a 1st generation jet of some type).

Jaw-droppingly astonishing work Peter :thumbsup:

Did you use J B Weld or coloured CA to glue your ribs to the brass elevator sheet?

Cheers

Derek

14 minutes ago, jenshb said:

Astonishingly good!  If you need some representation of stitching under the rib tapes, could you apply Archer rivets first and then a strip of decal film?  The HGW rivets will probably be too "flush" to give definition.

thats a really good idea Jens, and in fact i did try it

number 8 here..

7. is bare metal foil with tabs added

8. is archer /HGW forget which rivets

and i have forgotten 9 and 10..

dt8mic.jpg

..either way, I think the best bet is just decal strip, otherwise the effort vs effect just starts to get silly :)

i will continue to experiment until happy

Peter

41 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Same here Peter (has to be a 1st generation jet of some type).

Jaw-droppingly astonishing work Peter :thumbsup:

Did you use J B Weld or coloured CA to glue your ribs to the brass elevator sheet?

Cheers

Derek

hmm got me thinking now.. I did a Spitfire, am doing a Fury, so in lineage terms the next logical would be an early English jet..  if I think about that it might be a Meteor, but if its NMF a Lightning perhaps - plenty of time to ponder..

..the CA is AK Black Widow - i got some as it is paired with a debonder which previously I have not managed to have much success with - seems ok but i am quite wedded to Zap-aGap..

Peter

On 2/28/2021 at 12:55 PM, airscale said:

hmm got me thinking now.. I did a Spitfire, am doing a Fury, so in lineage terms the next logical would be an early English jet..  if I think about that it might be a Meteor, but if its NMF a Lightning perhaps - plenty of time to ponder..

Thanks Peter. If you want to stay British, I would have thought that the prototype/development Supermarine Attacker or Swift would have had the required lineage and shininess for your needs...unless you want to go bonkers, then the EE P.1 or even a DH 106 Comet (obviously, as an ex-RAF Lightning man, I would love to see you make any EE Lightning! :) ).

Derek

Edited by Derek B