1/18 Hawker Fury

airscale

Peter,

I am so pleased that you have had a really restful Christmas (I hope that you will have a great new year as well).

Fantastic progress with your Fury and I am so pleased that Tigger has been able to assist you with your project - he is a top guy!

As for the wing tips, as you already have the ribs in place, perhaps filling the voids with dense blue foam type material and the then (after shaping) cover each individual rib position with strips of thin plastic sheet; hopefully, that will get you around the double curvature issue without adding additional weight to the wing tips? 

Alternatively, to keep it simple, you could fill the tip rib gaps with foam, shape it, then heat a thin sheet of plastic card and simply pull it over the wing tip - it can then be trimmed and glued to the tip (i use latex based contact adhesive for this purpose, as it does not affect the plastic - I use this to attach plastic sheet to balsa cores for wings or fuselage). For foam filler. I use 'Oasis' type flower arranging foam, which seems pretty impervious to any solvents. Good luck. 

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

• 2 weeks later...

evening folks :)

Happy New Year folks and thanks for all your kind comments

..thought I would drop in with a little update..

..I started to work on the vacformed fuselage, with the first thing to do being to cut holes where the inner brass framework that supports the cabane struts and the inner fuselage structure & wing spars goes to see if it all fits inside - thankfully it does..

after that, I laid the halves onto plans to transfer the positions of panel lines and the definition between the metal and stringer areas and added the rear section as that was not part of the vacform structure out of plastic card..

wG2D9y.jpg

..I found it easier to prime the parts so I could see what I was doing - the areas where the gun troughs sit are marked on the upper forward fuselage..

SrVIFQ.jpg

rSjhjX.jpg

..the gun troughs were created first by making some handed masters and vacforming them, later fitting them into the troughs..

zQCT5s.jpg

..after filling and working in properly..

fmpnbr.jpg

..stringer positions were marked and you can also use the strips of litho I use to get parallel lines against the datum - here also are printed strips I make that define equal spacing between two points. In this case a strip of tape is used to measure the top of the turtledeck and that distance divided by 12 for the equally spaced stringers that sit in this area..

8KNZSY.jpg

..all the stringers are now marked out..

Hjr7XW.jpg

..lastly, the internal brass framework can be seen enclosed - largely things are where they should be, certainly the spars and box section tubular structure, but I may need to work on the strut mount positions..

tI0K4s.jpg

AkVQRV.jpg

VigRla.jpg

so next I need to work out how to represent the stringers as all the work really needs to be done whaile the halves are just that - halves. my ideal of sliding the internals into the nose wouldn't work as the structure is too wide so I need to make all the internals and enclose them as you would a kit. I really didn't want to do that as it means lots of fragile stuff inside the fuselage while lots of handling is needed in skinning where panels need to be almost beaten into shape..

still lots to do and having to think three processes ahead of where I am so I don't screw things up :)

TTFN

Peter