QF-4S Phantom "VX-30" - Tamiya/Cutting Edge, 1/32

Starfighter

Gentlemen, as usual, your kind comments make my day and keep me motivated - thanks a lot! :) 

Chuck, Scooby actually survived the drone program and resides in a museum; sadly, it has lost its last identity as it was repainted in VMFA-333 colours. At least the airframe did survive... This is how it looks now:

1562627-large.jpg

Let's get back to the model itself. The next step was to mask and paint Scooby's signature sharkmouth. Again, I used homemade masks cut on my Silhouette Portrait. The painting sequence is not ideal as painting white first caused white flashing through at the outer edges - it would have been better to paint black first and to add the teeth later on. Sadly, it was not possible to properly mask the mouth and teeth that way. 

img_6673aikq8.jpeg

Masking the teeth one by one made it possible to obtain contant black surrounding around them. 

img_6675irkkw.jpeg

img_6676o2jhu.jpeg

Here is the unmasked mouth. You can see white flashing through at the outer edges and some annoying glue residue the Oramask left on the radome. This was rather annoying to remove to say the least. The outer edges were corrected with a paintbrush.

img_6678uojkv.jpeg

Scooby got its eyes! These are decals I had made together with some stencils and the pilot's names. 

img_66803lk9b.jpeg

Let’s get dirty! I put a lot of effort into Scooby’s weathering. This meant: more masking with liquid mask, applying lightened or darkened base coat, highly diluted Tamiya Smoke, different washes and filters. We’re slowly getting there!

img_66822ajqk.jpeg

img_6684hbjov.jpeg

img_6681ekkr0.jpeg

img_6683ofjen.jpeg

img_6685qjjjt.jpeg

img_6686enjwm.jpeg

Here is a quick and easy example how to create some of the hard edged discolourations - this is of course just one method. Mask the darker areas with liquid mask and apply a first coat of base colour. Then, remove the mask.

img_669872kfj.jpeg

Then, apply a second, slightly thinner coat over the entire part. This will make the already painted areas appear lighter than the areas remaining black. This method of course works best with rather transparent paints such as MRP.

img_669906jzc.jpeg

Last step for the weekend was applying a few stencils (from a CAM sheet) to the radome and to varnish the orange areas of the radome with Tamiya X-22 to obtain a high shine. The orange parts of Scooby were astonishingly nice and shiny compared with the heavily worn airframe. This adds even more contrast. I will let it dry a few days before I will sand it with very high grid sandpaper and polish it afterwards. The mouth was masked to keep it matt - just as on the real a/c. 

img_6695qbk0t.jpeg

That's it for today. I have started my week painting many small parts before I went to work. I hope I can keep the momentum as I'd really love to see this one finished soon. 

“This meant: more masking with liquid mask, applying lightened or darkened base coat, highly diluted Tamiya Smoke, different washes and filters. We’re slowly getting there!”

You should write a book!!  You described your weathering technique at length in your S-3B build correct?

Your weathering (IMO) technique is more pleasing to the eye than starker techniques I have seen. You capture the look perfectly. 

Cheers

Collin