QF-4S Phantom "VX-30" - Tamiya/Cutting Edge, 1/32

Starfighter

On 12/11/2020 at 6:13 PM, Ali62 said:

What would you guys prefer, just the clear parts recast in clear resin that being parts D5 and D6 or them assembled onto B52 and B53?

Hi Ali,

Do your clear resin parts need a coat of Mr.SUPER CLEAR GLOSS UV Cut to protect them from yellowing over time? Or, because they are thick (compared with others that are thinner), they don't need one?

Cheers,

Bill

14 hours ago, Scale_artisan said:

Hi Ali,

Do your clear resin parts need a coat of Mr.SUPER CLEAR GLOSS UV Cut to protect them from yellowing over time? Or, because they are thick (compared with others that are thinner), they don't need one?

Cheers,

Bill

I'm not Ali, but I for one would never even think about applying a varnish onto any clear part. Dipping a clear part in Future is something else, that might be an option, but the sheen was so nice after some polishing that I did not consider this to be necessary. Ali has years of experience with this resin and according to him, it does not yellow. The thickness is exactly the same as the kit parts by the way. They are not overly thick. 

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your advice. You say that you wouldn't even think of applying a varnish onto any clear part. Does this has to do with the fact that these two products (varnish and Future) have a different chemical formula? Perhaps the varnish is more aggressive on clear parts, and therefore, it could damage them?

Cheers,

Bill

On 2/24/2021 at 4:50 PM, Scale_artisan said:

Hi Ali,

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill 

I see that Ben has answered this mainly and what he says is correct, and I agree with it.

The resin I use is a UV stabilised polyurethane resin, and therefore it should not yellow. I have cast many clear parts over the past 15 years and do not know of any that have yellowed, extreme sunlight for many years might, but I do not know of any modeller that would do that to their models. Many other guys cast using epoxy resin, that will and does yellow but you still need a section thickness of at least 0.8 to 1.2 mm like most kit parts for the material to flow.

I am not sure about your comment on the thickness. Do you have any of my clear canopies, currently I have only produced the P-51 D canopy in 1/32 and the canopy for my Hunter set in 1/48, so I am curious to what you are comparing them to. Oh and also the side windows for the Hellcat in 1/24.

Well hope this helps, please do let me know what you mean about the thickness.

cheers Ali

On 2/25/2021 at 10:34 AM, Scale_artisan said:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your advice. You say that you wouldn't even think of applying a varnish onto any clear part. Does this has to do with the fact that these two products (varnish and Future) have a different chemical formula? Perhaps the varnish is more aggressive on clear parts, and therefore, it could damage them?

Cheers,

Bill

The problem is that applying a varnish by airbrush will never be smooth enough - no matter how well you paint, there will walys be orange peel on the clear part which looks totally unacceptable. Future is usually applied by dipping the part into it which usually creates a perfectly smooth surface - the only you can face when doing that is dust inclusions. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Fells good to finally cut some plastic again... partially disassembled Mk.7 for Scooby's rear cockpit in progress. 

img_1801n7j0p.jpg

img_18070ej08.jpg

To improve the overall appearance of the Tamiya seat, I am using some elements removed from a Black Box Seat. I will probably use the lower seat cushion as well. 

img_1804lyjf9.jpeg

img_180690k3j.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year everyone! After another year without completing a model, I managed to finish Scooby on January 2nd... Time for a big update! 

More details had to be added to the rear seat. The lower cushion was removed from the second Black Box seat I had on hand. The lap belts being identical to the first seat was of course not acceptable, so I cut one of them with a razor saw and re-arranged it to make it look different from the front seat. 

img_2798lkj9f.jpg

img_2799odkqd.jpg

Raised rivets (from Micromark), PE belts and some wiring was added before the seat could be painted. 

img_28034yjza.jpegimg_2807u9ktq.jpegimg_2808hwkrr.jpeg

Some careful painting, stencils from Jira-Gio and braided lines for the ejection handles (from Anyz) later, the seat was ready to be installed. 

img_2839lhkfh.jpegimg_2840p4k3l.jpegimg_2842u5kjo.jpeg

It looks quite nice in situ IMO. 

img_2861w0j9h.jpeg

The rear canopy from Aerocraft was detailed with Aires and Eduard PE parts before it was painted and decalled. Four different colours for a grey canopy frame... masking that was fun. 

img_2862clk27.jpeg

The canopy frames were weathered and then installed. Adding that curly wire between the seat and the anopies was "fun"... not. The RBF tags are from HGW. I need to print some new canopy locking hooks as I keep on losing the PE ones... 

img_2894onjet.jpeg

img_289564kgx.jpeg