QF-4S Phantom "VX-30" - Tamiya/Cutting Edge, 1/32

Starfighter

15 hours ago, Cicciuzzo said:

the model is very beautiful and above all very original. The only note I make is about the small air intakes: the tamiya kit has the wrong dimensions in fact they are long (they reach the radome line) and had to be shortened. For the rest, I repeat, you did an exceptional job!

il modello è molto bello e soprattutto molto originale. L'unico appunto che ti faccio è sulle piccole prese d'aria: il kit tamiya ha sbagliato le dimensioni infatti sono lunghe (arrivano fino alla linea del radome) e bisognava accorciarle. Per il resto, ripeto, hai fatto un lavoro eccezionale!

;)

Thank you! This is certainly not the only flaw which was not corrected... mind you, the model was started at least 6 years ago and I just decided to finally finish if without playing around with it too much. But you are right, that would have been easy to correct earlier on had I spotted the defect... now it certainly is too late as I fear I would destroy more than I would improve. But it's noted for the next Phantom build! 

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Gentlemen, 

time for an update! Scooby is approaching the finish line - slowly but steadily. 

The tailfin was the last major exterior component to be finished. The high gloss orange surfaces were well maintained and looked pretty pristine even during the very last days of Scooby's active career. The part was painted International Orange from Hataka applied over a white base which was then sealed with Mr Hobby GX-113. To eliminate orange peel, the part was sanded and polished to high gloss using Micro Mesh pads.

img_7528thkwa.jpeg

The tail number was painted on using home made masks, the formation lights are preprinted parts from Eduard which just had to be weathered with oil paints. The stiffening plates were kindly CNC machined by my good friend Thomas. Note the touch ups applied around the groove lines to add some minor wear and tear. 

img_7531kfjgp.jpeg

Finished tail fin ready to be installed.

img_7533ljk7m.jpeg

Next on my list was wiring the cockpit and installing the fixed windscreen and center canopy parts. 

Silver rivet decals from Mike Grant were added to the windscreen frame underside along with a bit of lead wire and a chunk of plastic sheet; one of the wires was then connected to the compass on the Eduard windscreen frame. The pink background was a bad idea, sorry for that...

img_75391xkqd.jpeg

The center canopy part was wired and detailed as well.

b192d96c-16eb-4dcb-8fnkjc7.jpg

The cockpit looks rather busy with those few additional wires. 

218af750-6412-4498-abmij03.jpg

Next was the seat which was painted with a mix of acrylics and oil paints; the ejection handles were made of braided line from Anyz and 0,5mm decal stripes from the same manufacturer which were wrapped around the braided lines. Don't try to wrap it around the braided lines already fitted to the seat - here is a little photo explaining how to do it. It's certainly possible to wrap the decal with more even spacing, but it's totally fine like that. Hint: soak the braided line with Mr Mark Softer or similar first. 

d99b23e8-0f8a-4086-8owjp2.jpeg 

The bracket for the ejection handles was built using 1,4mm brass tubing from Albion Alloys.

dc278fa1-f735-4732-bbajx7.jpege5069444-978f-4adb-b9ykif.jpeg

And in situ. The label on top of the seat is one I made for my RF-8G back in the day; the "LIFT HERE" and "NO STEP" decals on the seat surface are from Jira-Gio.

img_7448q6kps.jpgimg_7453rbkvl.jpg

And the finished product. 

img_7459adkw6.jpg

The seat looks the part indide the cockpit - I am pretty happy so far. 

img_75593lkxn.jpegimg_75571ykyf.jpeg

What's left? A partially assembled rear seat, some antennas and the canopies. Stay tuned! 

Edited by Starfighter