QF-4S Phantom "VX-30" - Tamiya/Cutting Edge, 1/32

Starfighter

Thank you! :) Sadly no progress to show at the moment - stupid me somehow managed to lose a readily painted front wheel while trying to fit it to the front landing gear. It fell on the (wooden!!) floor and was never to be seen again. I've spent at least an hour on my knees, moved all furniture nearby but no luck. There must be a black hole or something like that in my modelling room... 

I mean, a fully painted wheel looks rather "flashy" IMO - strange how something like this can simply disappear on a wooden floor...

img_7029u2k8c.jpg

I guess we all have experienced the same at some point. I have already ordered a new Brassin set and will start all over again once I have received it. I'll have to cast a copy of the remaining wheel once I build another Phantom (late thick wing Marines RF-4B in TPS scheme!:wub:), but that's not for the near future.

In my opinion, that wheel must have appeared on someone else's bench or floor the same moment it fell down. Or just in my modelling room in another dimension. Hopefully, the replacement set I have ordered will appear within today - in *this* dimension. :D 

Had that happen in a recent build. Found it inside a drawer of my wooden toolbox. It was cracked open about a centimeter, which was apparently enough. Found it about 6 months later after I ended up scratch building another part. Maddening. I honestly suggest an offering /sacrifice to whatever modeling God you believe in...

Fantastic work, Ben! Its sad about the disappearing wheel. You could always scratch a couple of wing jacks and show the aircraft in the middle of a wheel change! :rolleyes: I once had a mg barrel fly off as I was cutting it from the sprue. Spent a good part of the afternoon on my hands and knees combing through the part-eating carpet before giving up. The next weekend I was doing laundry and found the darned part in my shirt pocket! :BANGHEAD2:  Hopefully your wheel will show up soon!

I feel your pain, Rockie

Thanks for your sympathy, I am clearly not the only one experiencing this kind of situation! The new wheels have arrived on Friday; I started painting a wheel right away in order to finish it over the weekend, but I apparently did not shake the black paint well enough... long story short, I had to strip the paint off the wheel again, reprimed, painted matt black yesterday and matt white earlier this morning before going to work. hopefully it'll turn out nicely this time. Normally, there should be an update tomorrow. 

Not the best qualilty update I'm afraid but my photo light did not work yesterday evening... 

Final assembly has started; the model now sits on its legs.

img_7109x9kjn.jpg

I have cut some additional stiffener plates from 0,13mm plastic sheet, painted and fitted them.

img_7110qvkn0.jpg

img_7111e9jph.jpg

The rear IP was finished with instrument decals from ANYZ and Jira-Gio.

img_7112ohk5g.jpg

Next steps: finishing the tail fin, wiring the rear IP and the instruments in the fixed center canopy section, finishing the windscreen and canopies and adding antennas, AOA probes etc.