QF-4S Phantom "VX-30" - Tamiya/Cutting Edge, 1/32

Starfighter

50 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

The flame holders are PE parts which I heated with a lighter - what looks more like heated metal than heated metal? 

img_7009egk42.jpg

They look quite convincing once in plate. They will be barely visible at the end, though.

img_7013r0jwg.jpg

Nozzles in situ. Their diameter is significantly than the Aires parts and definitely improve the overall look of the model.

:O What utter.. genius...

They look absolutely superb. I'm absolutely using that technique at some point.

Scooby had a distinctive, heavily worn antenna cover below its nose. 

qf-4s_153821_08_58_of_94.jpg

To simulate this kind of effect, liquid mask was used again.

img_7019cmjtc.jpeg

A light coat of zinchromate from MRP leads to this result. I'll play around with oils later today to add more different shades as on the real a/c.

img_7020oekyy.jpeg

More "micro painting" adds a lot of interest and realism to small parts such as this dielectric panel on the fuselage side. The photo also shows that I need to rework the washes on the fuselage. 

img_70218skta.jpeg

I also corrected the initially incorrectly masked hot section at the rear fuselage by painting the two rear panels besides the fin FS36320. Note the red sealant in on the hot section.

img_7022sekju.jpeg

Bonus: the landing gears are nearing completion. The oleos were made with bare metal foil.

img_7023odj7d.jpg

Thanks Anthony! No need to be sorry - the forums are the place to ask questions, aren't they?

The sealant is simple red paint indeed; I think I used Mr Hobby red. It's the kit undercarriage spiced up with a few wires and Brassin wheels; I did not bother using PE parts on it as I don't think the Eduard parts look that much better than the kit parts. Talking about PE parts - this reminds me that I'll have to add a few of them to the painted hot section... "funny" times ahead!