QF-4S Phantom "VX-30" - Tamiya/Cutting Edge, 1/32

Starfighter

I'm glad to hear my efforts seem to be not as bad as I initially thought! :) The arrvial of something big has slightly delayed progress as I had to partially re-arrange my room to make space for it... Anycubic Mono X! A first test print is currently running - if it turns out nice, there will be some big resin prints in the near future... 

img_6925jjjl9.jpeg

I've not only played around with the new toy, I also worked a bit on the stabilizers. Once the NMF section was ready, I added another stiffening strip (the S full of stiffeners...), then was  it was masked before applying the orange. Masking the slightly thicker portion near the tip of the leading edge with liquid mask your turn out not to be the best idea I've ever had...

img_6962v4jfj.jpg

The orange turned out nicely and I am rather happy with the NMF, but the part I've masked with liquid mask looks absolutely crappy. I'll have to figure out how to correct that. 

img_696429j6y.jpg

Careful when masking Tamiya lacquer with liquid mask - it leaves marks on the paint which in my case were a desired side effect (on the panel on the left) but could be annoying on a finish which is intended to look perfect. 

Of course I have played around with the new tool as well - and as you know, I never forget about started projects, I did something for a model started many moons ago:

img_6957qtjz2.jpeg

More on that in the respective thread ( https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/67443-in-cod-we-trust-grumman-c-2a-greyhound-scratchbuilt/ ) . Getting this one back onto the bench is not imminent, but there will be more once I have upped my resin stock again (which should be today). 

Drones...my favorite subject. You are doing wonderful Ben.

Few years ago, 2 QF-4E drones visited Reno Air Races and as luck would have it my good friend with whom I was at the event trained one of the pilots. So, before they departed the show I was able to get a personal tour and photographer them until the cows came home. :lol: I hope to follow your work and have one in my cabinet as well. 

Just a small update, but an important one - my good friend Thomas has milled some stunningly beautiful stiffener plates for Scooby's rudder. 

img_69673rjdl.jpg

Test fitting one of the stiffener plates on the rudder. The paintjob looks  very rough - it will be sanded smooth before varnishing it and the varnish will later be sanded and polished as well. 

img_6971f1jg9.jpg

Edited by Starfighter

The small bits towards the end of a build always seem to take much more time than the big ones... but at least I managed to paint the nozzles and afterburner cans. 

The nozzles needed a bit of extra attention; they are 3D printed (not by me though!) and needed some careful sanding to obtain a smooth surface. The upper parts of the Aires afterburner cans hat to be reduced in diameter in order to fit the nozzles. 

All parts were first painted with Mr Metal Color Iron. Great stuff! The paint was not yet polished when the photo was taken. 

img_70039pj0l.jpg

After polishing, liquid mask was applied with a sponge in order to obtain a slightly splotchy look. 

img_7004jvjxr.jpg

The recessed triangular areas between the feathers were tediously masked... 

img_7005jwjqb.jpg

And the feathers were painted with dark steel from Humbrol Metal Cote. Note how dark the paint looks before polishing.

img_70063xjz8.jpg

After polishing, I dabbed on some Mr Metal Color iron with a sponge. 

img_7007zqjtj.jpg

A dark wash reduces contrast and adds volume to the recessed areas. 

img_7010gdkd4.jpg

The afterburner cans are more difficult to photograph than to paint... The cans are green and buff on the inside, followed by a dark wash. 

img_7011dwkhj.jpg

The flame holders are PE parts which I heated with a lighter - what looks more like heated metal than heated metal? 

img_7009egk42.jpg

They look quite convincing once in plate. They will be barely visible at the end, though.

img_7013r0jwg.jpg

Nozzles in situ. Their diameter is significantly than the Aires parts and definitely improve the overall look of the model.

img_7014rzjup.jpeg