QF-4S Phantom "VX-30" - Tamiya/Cutting Edge, 1/32

Starfighter

15 hours ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

Impressive as always, Ben. I like that cable. It looks very convincing.

Do you know how "Focus Stacking" works? It's a great technique when you need more depth of field (DOF) which is a common problem in macro photography. With focus stacking you can get unlimited DOF, if desired.

Cheers

Rainer

Thank Rainer, Scooby, Mark and Gazzas! 

Rainer, I think I know more or less how the principle works but the problem is that all of my photos are rather carelessly and quickly taken with my phone; the iPhone 11 takes really good photos but is obviously not suited for this kind of application. To my udnerstanding, I would need a setup including tripod to do Focus Stacking, right? I may have to borrow the SLA from work over the weekend and give it a try; but then, I'd need a special software to comobine the photos if I donÄt want to spend hours on Photoshop or Gimp, right? 

No real update today, by the way. I am busy preparing the new room for my little daughter which involves dividing a large room into two smaller ones using a drywall. Lots of work and not a lot of time for modelling - I actually get up earlier in the morning to spend an hour at my bench before I go to work. All I managed was to prime and to shoot a first coat of Tamiya XF-1 onto the canopy frames and to start detail painting - pics will follow. On the other hand, I received something I am really looking forward to test:  polishing powder from Uschi Von Der Rosten. That stuff costs an arm and a leg but results seem to be very good. Curious to see if they perform similarly well as the AK metal powders. I was also able to source a few pots of Humbrol Metal Cote (sadly rather hard to find these days!), so I should be able to work on the fuselage hot section within the next few days. Should anyone want to get rid of their Humbrol Metal Cotes, please let me know - I may be interested in buying them as they are the only metal colours I really like working with along with the similarly hard to source Mr Hobby Metal paints.

img_6844y7koa.jpg

8 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Rainer, I think I know more or less how the principle works but the problem is that all of my photos are rather carelessly and quickly taken with my phone; the iPhone 11 takes really good photos but is obviously not suited for this kind of application. To my udnerstanding, I would need a setup including tripod to do Focus Stacking, right? I may have to borrow the SLA from work over the weekend and give it a try; but then, I'd need a special software to comobine the photos if I donÄt want to spend hours on Photoshop or Gimp, right? 

Yes, you would need a tripod. But Photoshop has a stacking function. It's a bit hidden, but it works nicely. Give me a shout if you need assistance.

Cheers

Rainer

Thanks Rainer, if that drywall doesn't require all of my spare time during the weekend, I'll give it a try! 

Yesterday, it was time for some additional masking. Modex on the front landing gear door (forgot to take a pic of the finished part).

img_686753j8v.jpg

Ejection seat triangles, a small stencil and the background for the rank below the canopy frame. I should have done that earlier but somehow forgot it.

img_6868rvkst.jpeg

Finished. Just needs to be blended in with some slight weathering and matt varnish once the decals have been applied. 

img_6869gakwt.jpeg

I have to admit I am rather happy with the surface texture. The contrast is not too high, so it doesn't look splotchy from a distance yet looks rather complex when looking at it from a short distance. 

img_6870lpkrx.jpeg

Time for some gloss varnish (GX-112) on the outer wing sections. The heavisly weathered national insignia was masked to leave it matt. Once the stencil decals (from CAM) have been applied, the orange parts will be sealed with yet another coat of gloss varnish which will then be sanded with high grit sandpaper and then be polished to get rid of the orange peel. 

img_6872v8jag.jpeg

img_6874xkj5j.jpgimg_6873kjjff.jpg

My word, that is gorgeous!  The painting is superb, in fact the effects are perfect! 

I hope I can get my Phantom paintjob even a 1/4 as good as yours and I would be happy!  Seeing work like this really helps me push my own boundaries and comfort zones...you have given me some great ideas!

Keep it up, we gotta see this make the finish line now!

Matt, a plotter is an excellent tool for sure. You can't cut everything, but combined with custom decals you can do pretty much everything you want indeed. 

Anthony, I am sure the paintjob on your Phantom will be as perfect as the assembly - there is absolutely no doubt about that! :) Talking about the "comfort zone" - I am far outside mine for sure. Let's start with the orange outer wing sections. I have sanded them with high grit sandpaper and polished them with my Proxxon using a woolen polishing disc in order to get rid of the orange peel. There are some small scratches left which I need to eliminate but the overall result is not too bad. The stars'n'bars were masked in order to leave them matt. 

img_6902ihjjh.jpeg

img_6903hykuu.jpeg

Even further out of my comfort zone is the hot section which is giving me a hard time. I never liked doing NMF and now I know again why. I was happy to find some cans of Humbrol Metal Cote but it seems they have changed the formula and they do not work as good as in the past anymore. 

It's slowly moving in the right direction, but I'm not there yet; what you see here is a combination of Tamiya lacquer, (old!) Metal Cote and polishing powders from AK and Uschi Von der Rosten, altered with Tamiya Weathering Pastels, Smoke and highly diluted black. The contrast was again toned down with AK "dark steel" polishing powder. 

img_6901idjpa.jpg

The typical lines were masked with 1mm masking tape over which I applied highly diluted black.

img_6907dqj0j.jpeg

img_69086wjfe.jpeg

img_6910akjrc.jpeg

Unmasked...

img_6911w9knj.jpeg

... and toned down with AK "dark steel" poweder.

img_6913b4jwp.jpeg

Bonus: Decals applied below the cockpit. What seems to be the carrier film is actually a grey base masked and painted before applying the decals. There were probably other callsigns painted over before the "CO" and "NAWCWD" wordings were applied. 

img_6905cek4t.jpeg

Edited by Starfighter

On 11/5/2020 at 11:28 AM, dodgem37 said:

The video implies that one can apply tape on this product without lifting the material from a surface.  Could you give a report on this?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

By the way, the Uschi powders hold up to masking as good or as bad as the ones from AK - they are nice to work with but I personally don't see any reason why they are twice as expensive as their competitors. 

Well, now  that's how you paint the 'hot section' of a Phantom!  Great tutorial and after seeing your results is how I will approach that area on my kit too.

The wingtips really came out spot on.  Painting is more an art form when taken to this level...brilliant update!