QF-4S Phantom "VX-30" - Tamiya/Cutting Edge, 1/32

Starfighter

Thanks Rainer and Check! 

Printing such piano hinges would be no problem, the question is just what's  easier  - scribing this kind of step pattern (hugely annoying for sure!) or cutting out a part of the surface, replacing it with a 3D printed part and to putty and sand in order to obtain an perfectly smooth surface again... 

I didn't have a lot of time during the weekend but managed to mask and paint the stars'n'bars on top and under the wings. Again, the masks were drawn by myself and cut on my Silhouette Portrait. 

img_6753ikjh6.jpg

In order to avoid white paint "flashing" at the outer edges, dark blue was applied first. It was then masked again to paint the white areas.

img_67569djls.jpg

img_6757w0ku7.jpg

The last step was to add the red stripes. 

img_6758nlj0g.jpg 

Finished national insignia on the wing underside. 

img_67591gk1n.jpeg

The insignia on the wing top was heavily weathered and bleached when Scooby was re-assembled in April 2005; I guess it was slightly less worn a year earlier. I have tried to simulate this.

qf-4s_153821_06_06_ofm6k7i.jpg

Interestingly, the orange Hataka paint seems to react with the Oramask I am using; there are glue residues (which are easily removed) and the area where the mask was located appears slightly more matt than the surrounding areas. This will disappear after a coat of closs varnish, though.

Whilst a think the national insignia looked less worn a year earlier, I think the bleached effect could even be a tad heavier, what do you reckon?

img_6761ebj1z.jpg