Malta Spitfire Mk V

John1

Thinking about what my next project will be after my Mosquito is done.  I’m getting intrigued by the Spitfires that flew out of Malta.   Some really interesting camo schemes and weathering opportunities here.    

First off - does anyone make a decent 32nd scale Mk. V?    

Are there any aftermarket options for the tropical air filter?   Any chance there is a way to backdate the Tamiya IX to a V?  

Thank you in advance!   

In answer to your first question, no.

You can backdate the IX to a Vc, you'd need to shorten the engine cowls, and change the port underwing radiator to an oil cooler, replace the exhausts, spinner and prop.

If you wanted to make a Vb, I'd go with a PCM XI, and a Revell I/II - the old Hasegawa kit with new wings, use the PCM fuselage, Revell wings, Revell nose, and the tropical air filter on that kit is still the best in 1/32.

The best Mk.V oil cooler is the one in the Hobby Boss kit, but Anthony made the masters for one for his Tamiya conversion Vc build, it's on here but I can't find it.

Real Model make a couple of sets which should come in use.

This is a great book, and both DK decals and Xtradecal produce Malta Spitfire sheets.

There's more, but those are the basics, I do hope you take the plunge.

Sounds great.  If the build is half as good as your Mossie, it will be a cracker.  Pity about the dearth of Spitfire V kits though.  However, for the markings, I'd recommend you get hold of a copy of Brian Cauchi's book on Malta Spitfires.  Heaps of info, pics and drawings, and a good read too.  Lots of places you can get it from, but here's one.

9788361421795.jpg

https://www.bookdepository.com/Malta-Spitfire-Vs-1942-Brian-Cauchi/9788361421795

Cheers,

Michael

Brian Cauchi is probably the best source of info.

Bear in mind the USN blue applied on the carriers tended to last only a short time once in theatre.

Add in the scavenging of parts from written off aircraft to keep the others flying and you can end up with some interesting schemes.

Repainting in theatre was sporadic at best.

Choose one of the researched schemes/profiles and stick with that.

These aircraft lasted around 3 weeks at best so painting wasn't a priority.

Also not all the Mark V's had the Volkes tropical filters.

Some of the later VC's end of 42/3 were standard spec as in "untropicalised".

Another good book with plenty of photos and aircraft profiles is Malta Spitfire Aces with contributions by Brian Cull and Frederick Galea who runs the museum on Malta.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Malta-Spitfire-Aces-Aircraft/dp/1846033055/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=malta+spitfire+aces&qid=1602828134&sr=8-1

Good Luck!

:)

Edited by PhilB
Adding link

6 hours ago, PhilB said:

Brian Cauchi is probably the best source of info.

Bear in mind the USN blue applied on the carriers tended to last only a short time once in theatre.

Add in the scavenging of parts from written off aircraft to keep the others flying and you can end up with some interesting schemes.

Repainting in theatre was sporadic at best.

Choose one of the researched schemes/profiles and stick with that.

These aircraft lasted around 3 weeks at best so painting wasn't a priority.

Also not all the Mark V's had the Volkes tropical filters.

Some of the later VC's end of 42/3 were standard spec as in "untropicalised".

Another good book with plenty of photos and aircraft profiles is Malta Spitfire Aces with contributions by Brian Cull and Frederick Galea who runs the museum on Malta.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Malta-Spitfire-Aces-Aircraft/dp/1846033055/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=malta+spitfire+aces&qid=1602828134&sr=8-1

Good Luck!

Thanks Phil, we are on the same page - the book you recommended arrived yesterday. I’m fascinated by these paint schemes!  

Yep, as you can see, quite a lot shared spare parts.

The rule is there are no rules.

My late father was the engineering officer for 249 Squadron on Malta from late 1941 to Spring 1943 and supplies were so scarce they had to cannibalise everything.

Don't be fooled by any profiles carrying 4 20mm cannon.

They were often fitted for delivery but one on either side was removed for spares and you will see that in photos in the book.

I've only got a couple of his photos of Malta spits but the general rule is a sun-bleached, worn out look.

MaltaPilots.jpg

Spit.jpg

It's true there's no actual proof of the USN Intermediate blue being applied by the USN, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence, plus photos, of the Malta Spitfires being painted in this colour, bit over all of the topsides, and over the light stone only.  Malta squadrons hated the standard RAF tropical scheme (light stone, dark earth, azure undersides) as it made the planes stand out like a flag.  As the planes were mostly transported on USN carriers, this is the most likely source of the intermediate blue paint applied to the planes while on board.  It was certainly very unofficial and probably would have been "frowned upon" by those in command in Whitehall, but it did the job.  As to how long it lasted on the planes, as in how it weathered, since it's application was very rough and ready as was the often short operational career of many of these planes, I'd say they looked very tattered, very quickly.

Cheers,

Michael

13 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Evidence based on B&W photos is inconclusive at the very, very best.

True, but in this case and in the absence of any documented history, I think the best thing is to go with the story as related by Brian Cauchi.  Like his models, I'm sure his account is very well researched.

Cheers,

Michael

15 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

And there is no actual proof that the USN applied any blue paint to them.

Can of worms.

No, there is evidence from people who were there at the time.

Accounts from ground crew and others.

Research from historians like Brian Cull and Brian Cauchi who have spent years on this subject.

I'd dig up my father so you could argue with him but I'm afraid he was cremated.

You might want to look at this documentary about returning a Hurricane and Spitfire to Malta for the anniversary a few years ago.

The blue paint is mentioned at around 21 minutes in and why they went to the trouble to fully repaint the Spit.

Edited by PhilB
adding link

On 10/15/2020 at 9:37 PM, Dpgsbody55 said:

Sounds great.  If the build is half as good as your Mossie, it will be a cracker.  Pity about the dearth of Spitfire V kits though.  However, for the markings, I'd recommend you get hold of a copy of Brian Cauchi's book on Malta Spitfires.  Heaps of info, pics and drawings, and a good read too.  Lots of places you can get it from, but here's one.

9788361421795.jpg

https://www.bookdepository.com/Malta-Spitfire-Vs-1942-Brian-Cauchi/9788361421795

Cheers,

Michael

That book looks amazing, this is right up my alley as a certified nerd who loves minutia about odd camouflage schemes.   Only problem is that Amazon is selling it for $95 (too steep for my blood although I am tempted) and I can't find it for sale or as an e-book anywhere else online.   Sadness...

13 hours ago, John1 said:

That book looks amazing, this is right up my alley as a certified nerd who loves minutia about odd camouflage schemes.   Only problem is that Amazon is selling it for $95 (too steep for my blood although I am tempted) and I can't find it for sale or as an e-book anywhere else online.   Sadness...

Try Abebooks

https://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/9788361421795?clickid=UUfRcDxz5xyLRfswUx0Mo3kQUkExySSJOwiYys0&cm_mmc=aff-_-ir-_-64682-_-77798&ref=imprad64682&afn_sr=impact

Hope this helps,

Michael