Douglas/On Mark B-26K/A-26A Invader

Iain

• 5 months later...
On 2/3/2022 at 1:27 AM, Bruce said:

thanks, I'll let you know how I come out with the printing.  BTW Iian, did you ever finish the Connie I sent you the pictures and such?

Bruce

I had a friend print the parts from the 3d file.  they came out fine but the finished engine does not fit the inside of the kit cowling!  Oh well, there are other engines available.

Bruce

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2022 at 12:06 AM, Bruce said:

I recently took numerous photos and measurements of the KC-135 tire on a B-26.  A friend is doing cad drawings and will print some tires.  I'll post pics if they come out well

Bruce

here is a link

partsrparts.homestead.com/A-26-tire.html

Edited by Bruce

3 minutes ago, Bruce said:

here are links to 3 other pictures.  I cant seem to load the pics

http://partsrparts.homestead.com/A-26-2.html

http://partsrparts.homestead.com/A-26-3.html

http://partsrparts.homestead.com/A-26-4.html

partsrparts.homestead.com/A-26-4.html

3 hours ago, Bruce said:

That's because those links are to web pages, not images. I've taken the liberty of pasting the direct image links below:

A-26-2~~element3.JPG

A-26-3~~element4.JPG

A-26-4~~element2.JPG

Kev

Just now, Bruce said:

thanks

Just now, Bruce said:

thanks

Just now, Bruce said:

thanks

If anyone is interested in these tires let me know.  I think he did a beautiful job.  My photography doesn't do them justice.  he even has the valve stem cast on the inner rim.  How do I fix my problem with loading the pics?

Bruce

• 1 year later...

Yes, more thread resurrection madness...  :deadhorse:

Well, with some days off the treadmill over Easter I've only gooone and resurrected another stalled build!

With some '60s era music blaring out over Spotify, I have mostly been scaling up and printing a corrected gun nose, and a set of B-26K wheels (designed for 1:48) - which has bouyed enthusiasm considerably.

48b427_2e596243c44c40d9ae5f115d66afc983~

Have also been printing @Fancherello's excellent R-2800C engines that he designed for the HpH Tigercat - with the correct crankcase design for the '26K. I may need to scale it down a little from feedback I've seen.

With a fresh coat of looking at I *think* have a clearer picture of how to vastly improve the look of the fuselage - and, probably, keep the bomb bay.

The wings will be lifted on the fuselage - but there's a *lot* more work required there. The wing aerofoil is out (where have I seen that before on Hobbyboss kits, I wonder? ;)) - the oil cooler intakes are a work of fiction, and the nacelles are too far up with respect to the wing(as you'd expect if the kit's designers got the wings too low). The overwing nacelle/wing upper surface shapes in the kit, compared to photos of the original, support this.

This is all fixable IMHO - but I'm now taking the attitude that this is a 'kit improved scratch-build' - very little of the kit will remain untouched.

And the canopies will need vaccing...

Fuselage (and a few details that I can do) first, before I even look at the wings/nacelles/cowlings.

I've also acquired the ICM 1:48 kit of the 'Nimrod' - and am further up the CAD design leaning curve - which could be dangerous.

So - will do some more work on it - but this will probably continue to be an on/parked project as enthusiasm flows and ebbs.

But - I *really* want to build this.

Nimrod 10 out, will report on rejoin with some intel images shortly...

:help:

Iain

Nimrod one zero inbound...

Nose print - this is was designed in 1:48 to correct the nose on the ICM kit.

48b427_632a80b43d72435faf09246e1073353c~

it's an easy job to scale 150% to get to 1:32...

48b427_35f24304f18d4effbf2e85a9214df011~

Bearing in mind the cross section is designed to match the ICM kit - but it was based on measurements taken from a real nose - and has to be a reasonably close starting point.

We'll come back to that shortly...

My thanks to @Rob Colvin for the heads-up in the 3D Printing section, as it was his post that re-ignited some enthusiasm.

STL file is available here: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/1-48-invader-8-gun-nose-correction-set

File printed using my Sonic Mini 4k.

This thread took me to the designer called brewitman on Cults - and the wheel/tyre sets he's designed for the ICM kits: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/1-48-b-26k-counter-invader-correct-wheel-set-v2

So the STL files for these were also purchased, downloaded, scaled and printed:

48b427_13470720d2af4dc49c97822026477033~

And the excellent R-2800C CAD model by @Fancherello - these are actually minor failures - but I'll assemble some cylinders onto the block to confirm whether I need to scale down a little:

48b427_638ea0cfb16a4f33afbc66b905768369~

Nimrod 10 downwind 27 touch and go...

Iain